Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
THat's a beautiful puppy and she sounds really smart.
Thanks! She is smart. I had her walking on lead at home before beginning puppy class. First class was working on the sit command. The next class she wouldn’t walk, but sat waiting for a treat. Walked a bit more and sat again, waiting for a treat. We are backing off on treats to train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Oregonwoodsmoke, maybe three is the lucky number.

Georgy is like our first springer, she has a nice temperament like he did. I’m starting to relax with her and enjoy her puppiness. After our second springer, who came to us as a three year old rescue and had some aggression problems, I was worried about every growl from Georgy. When she isn’t being a wild puppy with the zoomies, I realized she has a very sweet nature.

Because of our second springer being reactive from too much crate time and isolation, among other things, I wanted Georgy well socialized. I decided I would keep her relatively shielded, carrying her etc., before her second set of shots, but started obedience classes before the final set due next week. I started short walks with her this week, avoiding heavy dog traffic areas, and allowed her to meet and greet a few friendly neighbor dogs I know, while avoiding some questionable ones yesterday.

Normally, I tend to be the helicopter grandmother/pet person choosing safety above all else. Not this time though. I’ve lived with a dog not well socialized as a pup and I’ll accept some risk. Well, I say that with the hope all will turn out well by picking a mix of safety and risk.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-13-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Oregonwoodsmoke - a rubber kong? My GSDs have caught them many, many times (and caught solid rubber balls) with no issues. My puppy is in the destroy all toys phase so the only toys he can have are kongs, benebones and other solid rubber ones. IIRC Pensive is fairly young, maybe if she was elderly it might be an issue.

Jean_ji your puppy is adorable. A springer?

If anyone has a dog that is a chewer, be careful with rope toys. If they eat them, it can cause big problems.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

If anyone has a dog that is a chewer, be careful with rope toys. If they eat them, it can cause big problems.

Yep, Dante is a HUGE chewer, and those rope toys that were over an inch thick only lasted a day or less, and then rope came out his butt.... he doesn't get those anymore.

I give him whole coconuts, because he won't eat the outside but loves to shred it. THAT lasts under an hour, and god, what a mess to clean up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
Synn nipped the kid and drew blood playing tonight. We stopped playing with her and put her in her create. Than she started trying to eat the create. I know this is puppy behavior but she was so timid and sweet before. We discover something new every week.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Synn nipped the kid and drew blood playing tonight. We stopped playing with her and put her in her create. Than she started trying to eat the create. I know this is puppy behavior but she was so timid and sweet before. We discover something new every week.

Va83, you have put a LOT of hard work into making sure Synn has a good family, a good life, and good training. You have posted here A LOT about your trials and tribulations with Synn. Hearing what you have just said makes me VERY pessimistic. I am thinking you may be wasting your time. That may sound harsh, but after all you have already been through, that is how it sounds to me. I don't think very many dogs cause as many problems as Synn has. I am thinking you may need to reboot and start again.

Forgive me if that sounds too harsh - I'm just pitching in $.02 from here, based on all your posts. I may be wrong, but I may be right. Only you can know. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Va83, you have put a LOT of hard work into making sure Synn has a good family, a good life, and good training. You have posted here A LOT about your trials and tribulations with Synn. Hearing what you have just said makes me VERY pessimistic. I am thinking you may be wasting your time. That may sound harsh, but after all you have already been through, that is how it sounds to me. I don't think very many dogs cause as many problems as Synn has. I am thinking you may need to reboot and start again.

Forgive me if that sounds too harsh - I'm just pitching in $.02 from here, based on all your posts. I may be wrong, but I may be right. Only you can know. Good luck.
I know she sounds bad. That maybe our fault. I withdrew her from classes at Petco because I found a new place but then I thought she was sick so I didn’t sign up for the new class yet.
Like I said before she’s a sweetheart she was just playing. I think the kid getting on the ground rolling around and kissing her and petting her overly excited her. She doesn’t play like that with me. I just pet her and we watch tv together. Either way I’m not ready to give up on her. She has started sleeping through the night and leash walking. If we can get this house training down and play less roughly everything will be easy living.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
. . . If we can get this house training down and play less roughly everything will be easy living.

Ok. Your call - I really don't like the nipping / biting and drawing blood. REALLY don't like. But you are our johnny-on-the-spot for reporting "what's up". And it comes down to your judgement. I do applaud your effort!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Had to add this - I may have to cross-post in Rainbow Bridge - it's that good.

https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/st...71095034982401

Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Great. Now I'm crying and it's not even 7am.

If DH gets up right now and sees this, he will turn around and walk back up the stairs.....

(Thank Hiero, that was really sweet)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs