Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Freyja the Spoiled Rottenweiler, who was rehomed to me last December, is two years old today.

I have not had a Rottweiler since Rottweiler #3 passed, ten years ago. I forgot how comical they are, even when they aren't trying to be, lol

Her pitiful look for not having a chance to pose properly, lollol.
Attachment 209362
Happy belated birthday Freyja!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
He plays with it by dehusking the whole thing, he thinks it is the best fun. I have to take away the cleaned nut because he gets very frustrated that he can't pick up the nut (OCD), though he has manage to crack it twice... which is bad because the shell is very sharp.

He gets entertainment, I get fresh coconut (he gets a bite).

When the game was new, he would dehusk a whole coconut in under and hour, now he goes back and forth to it, but always less than a day.

Now, THERE is a new use for a working dog!

Old 03-26-2019, 08:29 AM

We've had discussions in various threads about puppy mills and purebred dogs. This, from the Humane Society of the US, is a couple of years old, but everyone who comes to this forum should read it.

https://www.humanesociety.org/sites/..._082916_id8383

BTW, although the primary focus is puppy mills, it should be noted that also at issue here is the whole concept of "purebred". Pedigrees are marvelous. But a pedigree just means you know the ancestry of the dog. "Purebred" means a closed stud book, and that means, with mathematical certainty, that the breeding population will ultimately lose genetic traits. Additionally, since "breeds" are based (almost exclusively) on appearance rather than function - "purebred" is putting the cart before the horse. Form may follow function, but function does not follow form, and ALL dogs, where attention was paid by humans, prior to the 1800's, were bred for function.

From what the HSUS tells us in this paper, the most obvious solution is to encourage kennel oversight at the state level. Read the paper, and you will understand what I mean. The answers regarding the concept of "purebred" are more complicated, but basically it should come down to keeping studbooks open, and not allowing breeding that encourages physical deformities in the name of style or cuteness.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
does anyone know if they found the missing show dog named Gale from the atlanta airport ? I hope they find him soon . Ironic that this is the same airport that lost my dogs which ultimately led to their death because they got sick being left on a plane for too many hours .I hope gale does not suffer the same fate . I was just wondering if anyone knows if they found him . I would be sick with worry .

Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Pensive was in for vaccinations and got weighed. 65 pounds, which really surprised me. She's twice as tall and twice as long as Wyatt McRiot and he weighs 42 pounds. I expected her to weigh more.

My son points out that she has very long legs and there is a lot of empty air underneath her. All her loose skin makes her look bigger than she is.

The vaccinations were not a hit and she was very eager to get back into the car.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
A whole lot of serious dog people do not take any advice from the H$U$. They aren't shy about hiding their ulterior motives.

If you are going to listen to them, at least also consider a balancing opinion.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
does anyone know if they found the missing show dog named Gale from the atlanta airport ? I hope they find him soon . Ironic that this is the same airport that lost my dogs which ultimately led to their death because they got sick being left on a plane for too many hours .I hope gale does not suffer the same fate . I was just wondering if anyone knows if they found him . I would be sick with worry .
YES!! Good Morning America had a short segment where they announced the dog was found -- in the woods around the airport I think.

Box traps were set out using chicken as bait and the dog finally gave in

He is unharmed and will be flown to his owner in his home country - probably in the cockpit with the pilot, lollol).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dog-d...b0279a0fc8781e

Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A whole lot of serious dog people do not take any advice from the H$U$. They aren't shy about hiding their ulterior motives.

If you are going to listen to them, at least also consider a balancing opinion.

I'm not sure what this means...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not sure what this means...
I'm pretty sure oregon was referencing this post of mine, since I mentioned a report from the HSUS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
We've had discussions in various threads about puppy mills and purebred dogs. This, from the Humane Society of the US, . . .
But, frankly, I don't think oregon has a valid point here. The case against puppy mill breeders doesn't rely on the HSUS report. It does happen to be a pretty good report, but it isn't essential to the case. Oregon says the HSUS is biased, and hints (see the $$?) that they are motivated by money, but we know the AKC is biased, and they get like half their income from registration fees of frequent breeders. Once again, researching that doesn't rely on that HSUS report - its verifiable.

Oregon makes an argument elsewhere that the HSUS has suggested silly regulations in some states, but so what? If the regulation is silly then oppose it! OTOH, they are in favor of regulating breeders, and the AKC is demonstrably not. As I said earlier, the only likely successful path to limiting what damage puppy mills do is to regulate them.

The pet store thing, well, I said it before, it's putting the cart before the horse, and isn't likely to make a big impact. AFAIC, its a showboat regulation so that somebody can say "See! We're doing something!" Without really doing anything at all.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Amish and Mennonite puppy mills are one of the largest sources that if shut down, would make a significant difference. Not only do they supply the pet stores with “purebreds”, they also supply puppies/dogs to organizations calling themselves “rescues”.

I agree more oversight on questionable AKC breeders is also needed. It was easy enough for me to figure out which breeders were in it for the money and not in it for the dog’s best interest when I was searching for a purebred puppy. The AKC needs to change their focus and soon.

Two links about Amish puppy mills
http://www.citizensagainstpuppymills.org/pmamish.php
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/am...y-puppy-mills/

Rescues buying from breeders:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.80a9d173d782

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-29-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs