Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,008 times

Advertisements

Here is some cuteness for your day:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=406190270112241
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Motownnative, I loved the videos, thank you!

We had our first dog park experience with Georgy this evening and it was really good! I went with some trepidation not knowing what to expect. The park was beautiful and well maintained. Georgy was greeted by four large dogs as soon as she came through the gate: fresh meat! She had her tail tucked in as all four dogs sniffed her and then it was off to check things out. There was no barking or any negative things happening. All the dogs were well behaved with attentive owners. It was peaceful and I was expecting the worst.

Her favorite dog, after she loss her initial fear, was a black 10 month old Afghan who had boundless energy. We spent some time keeping her from jumping on the other owners, but she was catching on by the end. She found one sympathetic women and hid behind her legs as a safe haven when she became too overwhelmed by the larger dogs’ attention. By the time we left, she was running and tiring out the Afghan.

We went late and spent a half hour before leaving at dusk. We were prepared to just check it out and leave if it looked too rowdy. There were a couple of dogs in the small dog area and around ten in the big dog area. It turned out to be an enjoyable evening. Georgy fell asleep on the way home. It was a great first time.
Glad you liked the videos Puppy training takes patience. It's not always easy. The one in video has turned into a great pet as an adult. He was amazing when learning as a tiny pup. Just thought it was realistic to post he had some hiccups along the way to get there.

That is wonderful that Georgy did so well and was so popular at the dog park! Seems like he has good dog skills. He sounds like he is well on his way to becoming a friendly, balanced adult in the future. When going into the park and meeting new dogs it is a positive that he showed submission to others at first. Many puppies don't have those skills that young.

I met a new puppy in my neighborhood this weekend that didn't have those skills. He rushed around and even scared mine. I had to laugh at that. The young lady owner was commenting how she wants him to be calmer around new dogs. She said she was glad hers made a new friend and that she hopes her puppy picks up on my dog's behavior. She thought mine was so good with dogs and well behaved. I was like "Good..huh?" LOL (He did roll over on his back to show submission) It was nice to get a compliment like that considering I have been complaining online about his difficulties.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
Georgy is actually Georgy Girl. . We went the next night to the dog park again. I had to give her a bath when we got home to get all the Great Dane slobber off of her. Oh my gosh, she was a ten month old puppy and she bowled Georgy over and over, they were having fun, but we intervened after a bit. The size difference was a bit much, even though Georgy gave as good as she was getting.

A male dog did not want to leave her alone, he kept trying to mount her. He was a hound with a keen sense of smell and the owner suggested Georgy may be getting ready for her first heat. So now I’m checking Georgy daily for changes. We are letting Georgy go through one heat and then will have her spayed. So no dog park for a while and I’ll delay the next round of obedience classes for a while.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
The lab results say that it could be any one of at least half a dozen types of cancer. Since she has already battled cancer once the vet and I, after much consideration have agreed that trying to remove the current tumor is not the right choice for her. It's location would make it very difficult to get it all with clean margins and there is some likelihood that she might develop other tumors in short order.

Without knowing the specific type it impossible to guess how much time she has but probably at least a couple of months, maybe as many as six.

It's never easy to bid farewell to any of my dogs but since I adopt seniors I know going in that they will only be with me for a short time.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:21 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
I’ve learned that Georgy prefers a walk before she eats in the morning. If I put her food down first, she ignores it until after we take a walk. She is anxious to eat once we get back from the walk. When this first started happening two months ago, I thought she wasn’t feeling well, then I thought it was the food and finally I realized I have a dog that would rather walk than eat first thing in the morning.

She likes her food, but she isn’t obsessed about it or even overly interested in what we eat. I trained our other dogs to park it outside of the kitchen so we could eat in peace. I haven’t with her, because she usually goes to sleep by our feet, she wants to be near us and doesn’t care about our food. Good smells gets her nose in the air, but that’s it. I’ve never had a dog like this, usually they are all about their food or ours.
Does anyone else have a dog like this?

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-31-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 02:28 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
.........., she wants to be near us and doesn’t care about our food.......
Does anyone else have a dog like this?

Not one of my sight hounds has been food obsessed. They can take it or leave it.

None of my dogs,of any breed, has obsessed over what the people are eating because I simply don't allow it. Begging irritates me, so they don't do it.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I've been neglectful (and it shows) so I am resuming formal training. Dante is learning "look at me" and off leash heel.

Steve is SO hard. It takes 10 secs of interaction and he just crumbles, lays down and submits.

I am reinforcing "come" and he is pretty good, and teaching "look at me" which is hard because he is very "anti eye contact", poor thing. While barely successful, he is so excited and happy afterwards, but I have to keep lessons down to less than a few minutes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2019, 04:22 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Oh boy, we’re a bit worried. We gave our dog the watermelon rind and he ate it. I hope it doesn’t make him sick. We give him a lot of vegetables and he likes them and no issues,.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Default alrighty then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Love that new dog smell.

Mine are in desperate need of cleaning, but even in Hawaii, we are having a "winter" storm, and I can't bring myself to do anything to make them colder than what they already are.

I'll do an update on Steve, our rescue attack dog: if some will recall, he didn't play, or wag his tail for like the first 6 months. He is constant wags now, and actually, almost, played tug-of-war.... once. HUGE step for him.
Speaking of 'new dog smell'... I'm sitting here sniffin' something that someone got into somewhere... I think a bath is in order...
K

Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,996,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh boy, we’re a bit worried. We gave our dog the watermelon rind and he ate it. I hope it doesn’t make him sick. We give him a lot of vegetables and he likes them and no issues,.
It won't make him sick, but it might give him diarrhea, just as watermelon can cause diarrhea in humans. Not a problem, just a single poop. Or splop, as the case may be.

It's something about the watery fruit that super-stimulates the digestive tract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs