Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Why do dogs always take food to the carpet? Apprx. 1000 sq ft of hard floor, one 8x10 rug and that's where they go.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
I had one dog who would bring a mouthful of food into the living room, drop it in front of the sliding glass doors, lay down and eat while looking out the door. I tried putting a bowl in that spot but somehow it wasn't the same, lol.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Georgy is 16 weeks old today. She can jump and get on the sofa and chairs, but the bed is still too high... for now. She can reach the Legos on the low train/play table, so that door stays shut unless we are with her. “Off!” or “leave it!” is heard often throughout the day.

She has two mind games that I put treats in. The roly poly ball looses her attention quickly and she will leave treats in after getting a few. The other game is more challenging and makes her work hard to get the treats out. She stays with that one until the treats are all found.

She is in basic training now after finishing puppy class. We are working on longer sit or down stays, learning to heel instead of loose leash walking and being around other dogs and distractions. We are both wiped out after class.

She is growing quickly and weighs twenty pounds. She allows me clean to her ears, trim between her paw pads and brush her teeth. She is smart, making her a challenge at times, but is also a delight and it’s fun watching the changes. This time is rushing by!

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-22-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM

I love this! ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you for posting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
A youtube find for all of us. Totally cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZS5cgybKcI

Old 02-24-2019, 03:17 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I had one dog who would bring a mouthful of food into the living room, drop it in front of the sliding glass doors, lay down and eat while looking out the door. I tried putting a bowl in that spot but somehow it wasn't the same, lol.
Synn does this too. It’s questionable but whatever makes her happy.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Just went to the country and got about 10 coconuts. Dante will be a happy puppy.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just went to the country and got about 10 coconuts. Dante will be a happy puppy.
To play with, eat or both? Do tell, we have a neighbor with coconuts here.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
To play with, eat or both? Do tell, we have a neighbor with coconuts here.
He plays with it by dehusking the whole thing, he thinks it is the best fun. I have to take away the cleaned nut because he gets very frustrated that he can't pick up the nut (OCD), though he has manage to crack it twice... which is bad because the shell is very sharp.

He gets entertainment, I get fresh coconut (he gets a bite).

When the game was new, he would dehusk a whole coconut in under and hour, now he goes back and forth to it, but always less than a day.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:18 PM

2,340 posts, read 612,369 times
I have a Golden-doodle puppy, 6 months old. He is crated at night and when I am not home. (I come home at lunch to let him out to potty) - He is jumping on me - I'm short - 5'1" and when he jumps his paws almost reach my breasts. I tell him DOWN and NO but it look like we are dancing - I wonder if this is because he doesn't get a lot of exercise. He doesn't know how to Fetch and surfing - he takes silverware outside the doggie door. How do I train to NOT jump and NOT table/counter surf.???? I googled dog training in my area - and the only one wants more than $300 to train him.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I have a Golden-doodle puppy, 6 months old. He is crated at night and when I am not home. (I come home at lunch to let him out to potty) - He is jumping on me - I'm short - 5'1" and when he jumps his paws almost reach my breasts. I tell him DOWN and NO but it look like we are dancing - I wonder if this is because he doesn't get a lot of exercise. He doesn't know how to Fetch and surfing - he takes silverware outside the doggie door. How do I train to NOT jump and NOT table/counter surf.???? I googled dog training in my area - and the only one wants more than $300 to train him.
Do you have a Pet Smart in your area? I saw their advertised price for Obedience 101 of a $119 in my area.

Before some folks go hollering to stay away from Pet Smart training programs --- it all depends on the trainer, just like with horses, there are good, bad, and flat out stupid everywhere.

A 19 month old Rotweiler was rehomed to me a few months ago. Her obedience classes were at the Pet Smart where she came from. Her training is excellent - I know because I have taken guard dogs to standard obedience classes and she is my fourth Rottweiler

BUT you have to realize the training g does not stop when you walk out the door from class. Both your dog and you have to do your homework every single day, if you want to pass the class and not be an embarrassment to yourselves

Also, yes, your dog is still a pup and will likely have a puppy mind set u til it is past two years old. It needs a lot of exercise and as little crate time as possible. I get crating it for sleep time and when you work but once you are home you are going to have to work with it and give time just as if you were raising a child.

Please look into Pet Smart in your area, and we will cross our fingers the trainer is knowledgeable and fair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs