Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,783,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I've been working on his excitement when come home, making him sit after i come in the door before he gets any lovins. This weekend we had the inlaws over, he would get excited and run to the door barking, but he would sit when asked and wait impatiently. I took him for two walks yesterday, once in the morning, and in the evening. Both time he saw dogs and both time he'd only tug his leash a couple of times and kind of try to run towards them (usually when he sees another dog it's like trying to reel in a marlin)
We are working on Georgy’s “exuberance”. She cares less about other dogs, they are okay, but she wants their people. She’s on her back two legs when she sees someone walking towards us. We have her sit and not let her get any pets until she settles. It is s-l-o-w-l-y getting results. Training people not to pet her until she sits is harder. Some love dogs and mean well, but they don’t get it. Thank goodness for the ones that do and are helping us train her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,519,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We are working on Georgy’s “exuberance”. She cares less about other dogs, they are okay, but she wants their people. She’s on her back two legs when she sees someone walking towards us. We have her sit and not let her get any pets until she settles. It is s-l-o-w-l-y getting results. Training people not to pet her until she sits is harder. Some love dogs and mean well, but they don’t get it. Thank goodness for the ones that do and are helping us train her.
Yes, I can relate. Mine has the same habit in public. He just gets so excited to see people. You are lucky you have some to help you. My neighbors pet him over the fence and he jumps up to reach them. I can't say anything as I have been getting all of this free daily socialization for him. My neighbor knows he loves kids and brought an 18 month old baby to the fence this week to pet him. They both loved it.

Mine is 15 months now so a good bit older than yours. The good thing is they calm down quite a bit when older. Mine knows all of his obedience at home but has selective hearing and forgets I am in the room when we are around new people.

I have tried to relax more about it and just wait for him to catch up. I quit blaming my training skills as being the only problem. One epiphany I had was when I took in a stray kitten last fall. After a month she decided to curtain swing. I just told her "No" once. I didn't yell. She turned around and looked right at me. She immediately released her claws. I had to run over to the curtain so she didn't fall. She hasn't done it since. I can't count the times I have corrected my dog 50 times for something with no success. He ignores me. I have learned from videos you can't train a dog if you can't get their attention. Oh well...

Some may get a kick out of these videos. (these are short) I had my beagle puppy trained at 11 weeks to sit and stay perfectly. Mine wasn't as good as this one with the other stuff but close. The guy in video is not a trainer or anything BTW. The 2nd video shows his dog at about 10 months. He is big like mine and won't even sit still for the video. LOL Boy is that familiar. The puppy training is not in vain, but it's like they go through "difficult" periods where they forget/ignore their training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkGFHr7pQHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su6ve2L0T8Y

Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 AM

6,753 posts, read 4,447,730 times

Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 AM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
poor Wyatt McRiot. He's such an air fern. he's staying with me and when he got here he was fat.

i won't have a fat dog, it is unhealthy. So, he is on a diet. I basically rub a bit of food into his dish and he gets to have the smell. Still he won't lose weight.

He needs to do some more exercising, but he learned long ago that it isn't safe to run anywhere near Pensive. Wyatt is fast but Pensive is twice as fast, and she is twice his size and she is even rougher than he is. She loves to catch him and knock him down. So he won't run in her vicinity.

it must be hard on him at feeding time. Pensive gets enormous servings of food and still won't put on an ounce of fat, while he gets a serving that can barely be seen with the naked eye.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,019,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
. .
it must be hard on him at feeding time. Pensive gets enormous servings of food and still won't put on an ounce of fat, while he gets a serving that can barely be seen with the naked eye.
Too funny!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,650,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
poor Wyatt McRiot. He's such an air fern. he's staying with me and when he got here he was fat.

i won't have a fat dog, it is unhealthy. So, he is on a diet. I basically rub a bit of food into his dish and he gets to have the smell. Still he won't lose weight.
We are feeding our dog about 1/3 of what he was eating last year, and every time we go to the vet, he has put on two more pounds. My husband is rolling his eyes when he sees me drop a spoonful of wet food and five pieces of kibble into the dog's bowl. Luckily the dog is very patient, unlike the cat who screams when he thinks he's not getting the appropriate portion of food.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,783,572 times
Motownnative, I loved the videos, thank you!

We had our first dog park experience with Georgy this evening and it was really good! I went with some trepidation not knowing what to expect. The park was beautiful and well maintained. Georgy was greeted by four large dogs as soon as she came through the gate: fresh meat! She had her tail tucked in as all four dogs sniffed her and then it was off to check things out. There was no barking or any negative things happening. All the dogs were well behaved with attentive owners. It was peaceful and I was expecting the worst.

Her favorite dog, after she loss her initial fear, was a black 10 month old Afghan who had boundless energy. We spent some time keeping her from jumping on the other owners, but she was catching on by the end. She found one sympathetic women and hid behind her legs as a safe haven when she became too overwhelmed by the larger dogs’ attention. By the time we left, she was running and tiring out the Afghan.

We went late and spent a half hour before leaving at dusk. We were prepared to just check it out and leave if it looked too rowdy. There were a couple of dogs in the small dog area and around ten in the big dog area. It turned out to be an enjoyable evening. Georgy fell asleep on the way home. It was a great first time.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,392,971 times
Waiting.

For the call from the vet. Lab results should be back from the Vet school at Virginia Tech sometime today.

Daisy developed a lump just to the right of her tail over the past couple of weeks. Not a lipoma.

She beat cancer once a couple of years ago when she developed a tumor in her left front armpit. The Dr. had to amputate her leg to save her life and she does fine on 3 legs.

She and her sister Bella will turn 13 on July the 5th. They've been with me for just over 4 years and they are both wonderful dogs.

I hate the waiting.

Last edited by zugor; 05-22-2019 at 03:19 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 AM

10 posts, read 5,566 times
Hi guys,

I just have a quick question. Could you please help me to find out what breed are these dogs on pictures, especially the bigger one.
Thank you

Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
Best guess, a German Shepherd mix. The little one maybe has some Keeshond somewhere in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs