Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM

277 posts, read 402,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
London. The people were rude, the food was bad, and it smelled. It was dirty and lacked the charm I assumed it would have. I am not supposed to talk about a city in my country, but if I could, New York. Who wants to feel like a rat in a maze and not be able to see the sky in parts? Not me!

A proper tourists' tourist.

There's more to NYC than Manhattan, and there's more to Manhattan than Midtown (which is arguably the worst area of NYC when it comes to pleasantness). There are plenty of beautiful, charming residential neighborhoods in New York.

Likewise, with London, it sounds to me like you were priced out of most of Central London (which is probably among the most refined urban areas in the world, excluding a handful of neighborhoods) and bumbled around the peripheral areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,324,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
A proper tourists' tourist.

There's more to NYC than Manhattan, and there's more to Manhattan than Midtown (which is arguably the worst area of NYC when it comes to pleasantness). There are plenty of beautiful, charming residential neighborhoods in New York.

Likewise, with London, it sounds to me like you were priced out of Central London and bumbled around the peripheral ethnic enclaves after briefly touring the landmarks.
No, I was not priced out. This thread asked for MY opinion, and that is what my post was. You do not have to agree, and I know that there are wonderful things about both cities. However, these were the two I was disappointed in and why. The thread did not ask what I liked about both of them or my favorite city to visit.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM

277 posts, read 402,344 times
Quote:
No, I was not priced out. This thread asked for MY opinion, and that is what my post was. You do not have to agree, and I know that there are wonderful things about both cities. However, these were the two I was disappointed in and why. The thread did not ask what I liked about both of them or my favorite city to visit.
So you've dined in Mayfair, shopped along Sloane Street and Bond Street, visited the clubs and bars in Marylebone, attended charity events and balls in Kensington, marvelled at the marbled elegance of Bloomsbury, visited the eclectic art galleries in Chelsea, attended socialite events and rooftop parties in Belgravia, had bespoke outfits and accessories tailored for you in St James's, watched opera at a premium seat at the ROH, or even visited these (vast) areas, and think London is dirty and smelly?

In a parallel dimension maybe.

If I was to level a complaint at London it would be the diametric opposite - that it is becoming far too exclusive as a gated community catering specifically for the rich elite, where the poor and dirty are sanitized out of sight.

Last edited by Grigoriachel; 08-29-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,321,067 times
I like Germany a lot but Frankfurt to me is a very boring, dull city. I spent three days there a couple years ago and as much as I enjoyed exploring some of the more touristy parts of town, I fould Mainz and Heidelberg to be a lot more interesting.

Frankfurt reminds of Dallas- a modern, relatively affluent large city with impressive buildings and architecture but extremely boring, sterile and souless.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,329,176 times
Quote:
No, I was not priced out. This thread asked for MY opinion, and that is what my post was. You do not have to agree
Opinions regarding objective metrics (eg. X is dirty/smelly) can be subject to scrutiny.
Unlike opinions regarding subjective metrics (for example, X is my favorite place to eat) which can't really be contested.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:36 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,292,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Denver - flat and brown with little vegetation, you can see the brown mountains in the distance, oh and the traffic is horrible

Chicago - litter on highways from O'hare to downtown, very little landscaping until you get downtown, many homeless downtown, sketchy within 2 blocks of art museum, art and science museum were nice, ferris wheel was okay, Sear's tower view was good, went to a decent Blues club, but I left thinking "Is this all there is to Chicago?" And this was during St. Patty's day when it is supposed to be lively there...
I recently visited Chicago and found the expressways very clean. I'm glad you didn't say downtown Chicago wasn't clean, or I would highly have totally disagreed with you. I am very impressed with how clean and green with its parks and even flowers on lamppost downtown was.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,778,120 times
Singapore. Tried to score some weed, but it wasn't happening.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:18 AM

10,661 posts, read 16,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Singapore. Tried to score some weed, but it wasn't happening.
Singapore is the only non-Islamic country in the world where i wouldn't try to score weed as a visitor.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,517,786 times
Miami
Tijuana
Phoenix
Indianapolis
NYC
Hong Kong
Luxembourg City

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,489,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Singapore is the only non-Islamic country in the world where i wouldn't try to score weed as a visitor.
Don't try to score weed in China either.It's capital punishment,no kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World