Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,191,069 times

Advertisements

Hartford, Connecticut. Givent the relative affluence of Connecitcut and it being a center for the prosperous FIRE sector i was expecting more in the city itself.

...and maybe Toledo and Akron (both suffer from the big-but-not big-enough-syndrom...somehow you'd expect more. Dayton has that,too).

Nashville: Was expecting somethng like Louisville..actually better than Louisville given the music biz concentration: a lot of cool in-town neighborhoods. But it seems somehow lacking in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:50 AM

27,677 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Really ? What about historic Georgetown? Elegant, Embassy Row? Washington Cathedral, and the National Shrine? (both of them rank among the largest 10 church structures in the World). The Spanish Steps? Colonial, Old Town Alexandria? The Chinatown memorial arch? The National Portrait Gallery? The International Spy Museum? The Newseum? The Adams-Morgan district?
Yeah, I was going to respond to that previous post, but you gave a good summary.

I travel the world, but I still get a smile on my face when I come home to the Washington, D.C. area. Sure packs a great punch for its size.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,863,520 times
Of course it does. It is the capital of the USA!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM

984 posts, read 4,326,736 times
Florence, South Carolina

It wasn't a full-on trip, but I visited there a little for 2 days while on the way to another city. Not a nice nor decent place at all. Poverty and crime is so bad too, I looked it up afterwards.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM

796 posts, read 1,164,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Montreal. I have been there many times and have also had two one month stay there. With Amsterdam THE rudest city on the planet. Everytime it is as though the whole city is suffering from some extreme form of collective depression and lack of manners. Nobody smiles, everyone is rude.

I speak both French and English fluently but apparently neither are good enough for the natives. I loathe, loathe, loathe Montreal. Also its urban "charms" are greatly exaggerated, a few pretty historical streets do not a beautiful city make.....
Montreal a rude city? Never experienced that. Montreal is very beautiful, charming and most people are very nice and friendly, and beautiful.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 PM

580 posts, read 1,183,000 times
I have never been, but gave heard many say Bangkok was not a good experience.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,996,443 times
Every city has visitors who don't find it lives up to their expectations - even New York and London... This I gather from other travellers.

I on the other hand find LA to be disappointing. Too sprawled out for its own good.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:27 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,528,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
San Francisco. I visited the city in August 2011. The weather was just as bad as Oslo's. It was cold, windy and foggy. Downtown Oslo is rarely windy and foggy in the summer but the temperature is generally low. I did not like the numerous and quite agressive homeless people. One nearly scraped our car with his crutch. Another one begged for money inside McDonald's. We had to move upstairs to avoid him. The city is one of the better-looking in the United States. A far cry from the mess of Los Angeles.
Reading this makes me a bit frustrated. San Francisco is one of our most beautiful cities with a very interesting history, but the last 20 years or so the number of homeless, hobos and street crazies has mushroomed to the point it makes visiting there a bit disappointing in certain areas (generally anywhere tourists or a crowd gathers). It can make one uneasy and the filth they contribute to the streets and sidewalks (trash, urine and excrement) is disgusting. I've been traveling to SF three or four times a year since I was eighteen and the past decade its just gotten to the point I no longer want to go.

As far as the cool, foggy weather in the summer - that's the Central and Northern California coast in a nutshell! Geography at work - the rising air from the hot inland valleys pull in the cool air from the ocean causing the marine layer along the coast. Drive ten miles inland and its 20F warmer.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:06 AM

328 posts, read 999,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I cant give a long answer right now but OMG Los Angeles!!!!

What a sad soulless city!!!! :O

I experience this as well! I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't THAT.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 AM

328 posts, read 999,572 times
Sometimes I think expectations have a huge role in how we perceive a place. If you go to a city and expect it to be boring you might often find out that it will exceed your expectations, and if you go to a city and expect it to be this amazing place often you will be disappointed. From now on I will keep my expectations low to avoid being disappointed. I will admit that sometimes my expectations are a bit unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World