Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times

Advertisements

Amsterdam. Pretty as a picture but worst holidays I have ever had.

I am disabled and everyone was incredibly rude and thoughtless ( I was actually kicked out of the way by cyclists on separate occasions - try stumbling on cobbles... ), the city seemed to be full of trendy young things too self absorbed to observe even a modicum of niceties whether in shops or restaurants, grumpy people everywhere, cyclists who I had naively assumed would be the best on the planet actually incapable of controlling their bikes ( no breaks to most of them) and Hubby and I got food poisoning in a clinical looking steak house too ( considering I am 45 and this was my only and first food poisoning despite having travelled the world and eaten at some pretty dodgy street vendors in third world countries and I have an iron stomach quite a novelty for me).

The RijksMuseum and the Van Gogh museums charged us full price whilst two thirds of their exhibits were off limits too.... We spent a week feeling ripped off and sneered at. Not a nice experience.

An absolute bloody nightmare place.

Once we left the city no problem at all. I find Dutch people out of Amsterdam to be lovely, courteous and tolerant people and would go back quite happily. Amsterdam however I must admit has scarred me quite badly. Worst city I have ever been in terms of people. Style over substance and no evidence of the famous Amsterdam tolerance and liberality they claim to have.

Beautiful to look at though. Excellent place to take photographs. About the only positive thing I have to say about it apart from an excellent dinner in a very grand restaurant which was very good.

Bruges to me is much nicer and I find the locals so much friendlier and more pleasant.

Montreal. I have been there many times and have also had two one month stay there. With Amsterdam THE rudest city on the planet. Everytime it is as though the whole city is suffering from some extreme form of collective depression and lack of manners. Nobody smiles, everyone is rude.

I speak both French and English fluently but apparently neither are good enough for the natives. I loathe, loathe, loathe Montreal. Also its urban "charms" are greatly exaggerated, a few pretty historical streets do not a beautiful city make.....

I love Quebec Province and love Quebec City where I have always felt very welcome and the people have always been absolutely lovely to me. From the great frozen North to the St Lawrence towns and villages to Quebec city I have on the whole always been pleasantly surprised at how nice and welcoming people are. But Montreal ?? Brrrrrrrr. Shudder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Sunderland, UK (Newcastle without fun) and Murcia, Spain (beautiful but boring)

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Miami, Antalya, Singapore

Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Zurich. Tiny city and expensive as hell, with virtually nothing to see or do given all the money you spend. I don't know, maybe you have to be super rich to enjoy that city.
Zurich is a good city to make money, but not to enjoy it. It's a very Calvinist city in that sense.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I cant give a long answer right now but OMG Los Angeles!!!!

What a sad soulless city!!!! :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When traveling, when I arrive in any city, the first thing I want to do is get out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Miami, Antalya, Singapore
Again please explain why you did not have a good time in these cities. Otherwise, its not too helpful to others.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Sunderland, UK - run down, crap shopping experience, tacky nightlife.
Murcia, Spain - beautiful architecture but snobby populace and not much to do. Was surprisingly crap weather when I went. Think I maybe expected to much.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,194 times
Quote:
Sunderland, UK - run down, crap shopping experience, tacky nightlife.
Murcia, Spain - beautiful architecture but snobby populace and not much to do. Was surprisingly crap weather when I went. Think I maybe expected to much.
Thanks for the post. I have traveled extensively through the UK and have never even heard about Sunderland. I'm going to do some research on it.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
This has never happened to me. Every city was still somehow interesting. I don't recall a city I wouldn't go back to. Not every city has A,B or C. If it only has A,B and you want C, then it's not gonna be a blast. You just got to be open-minded and do the things the city has to offer. There's always something.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
You hardly expected anything to be good down there now did you? I always got the impression that it was very desolate and poor.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
This has never happened to me. Every city was still somehow interesting. I don't recall a city I wouldn't go back to. Not every city has A,B or C. If it only has A,B and you want C, then it's not gonna be a blast. You just got to be open-minded and do the things the city has to offer. There's always something.
Yeah this never really happens to me either. Because, I don't really plan trips to places I'm expecting to not find something interesting in. I research where I'm travelling to and go places that I'm convinced I'm going to find something I like for my time there... I've got hundreds of places that I've read about that I'd love to go to, because there's already something about them that has piqued my interests. On the other hand there's often much more to places you travel to than what you expect.

And the places that I just go to for other reasons(work or just passing through or family or friends there), sometimes those are places that I don't know as much about beforehand or don't have high expectations for--but sometimes I'm pleasently suprised by those places. For example Busan, South Korea was a place that I went to simply because I had friends there. I didn't know what to expect, the guidebooks had little on it at the time--but I found it to be a fascinating place--nice beaches, seaside temples, huge fish markets, and different peaks dividing dense urban districts sort of like a Korean version of Hong Kong.

Sometimes the most touristy areas of a city can be disapointing--however sometimes right down the road is a more interesting area. But there's a lot of the world to be explored that I'm sure is going to have something interesting. I hear people claim somewhere like Belgium is boring--but I'd love to go to Bruges or travel across Belgium sampling the different beers. I just take a different approach to travelling rather with an open mind--sometimes the most interesting stuff when you travel is stuff that wasn't at the big sights, but rather stuff that you weren't expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World