Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM

250 posts, read 661,774 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City. The airport was impressive, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
Actually, I found Salt Lake City to be gorgeous, but the people, as expected, are SUPER WEIRD.
I was dissapointed by NYC. Years of watching shows/movies had built it up in my.mind as this magical place. I was disappointed by China Town & times square.
I was actually suprised to find that I like LA, its kinda funky & not nearly as plastic as Id assumed ( In LA's defense, I grew up reading Sweet Valley High, watching Saved By the Bell, and wearing out my VHS copy of Clueless)

I live in Vegas & while there is plenty to do, I'm dissatisfied with the local population.

Miami was way dirtier than expected. Even though I grew up in FL, I never went to Miami until I was 20. Meh, I prefer Tampa.

Minneapolis was a quirky, unique present suprise. My favorite city in the MidWest.
D.C. is by far my most favorite American City.
Philadelphia was a bit disappointing. (Again - too much TV)

But the most over-rated? Atlanta. It's just tons of urban sprawl, nothing significant about it.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
I have enjoyed several things about all the cities I've been to but if I was pressed to list some cities then it would be this:

Cairo and Doha.

I especially disliked Philadelphia.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 05-10-2013 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Oh yes and winnipeg. Dear god we heard about how great it was and of course not to forget the charming "irish club" which was like a run down old shack. It was so funny because we thought it was gonna be a proper club with disco lights and all my mums reaction was estatic. Oh god and lets not forget the zoo, awful. It had grass about 10 feet tall and was empty half of the venues had no animals, belfast zoo is far far better.

My cousins always claim tha they have a better life than us but they really dont, winnipeg is crap the climate is far too cold and the prairies are flat desolate and boring.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I am disabled and everyone was incredibly rude and thoughtless

I had also consistent bad experiences in Amsterdam.
(coffe shops and zoos and the canals awesome though)
I had brought my own blue painted (not black Amsterdamer) race bycicle by train freight all the way from Paris (yes it was possible although expensive in the seventies). I discovered some people had twisted the wheels and removed the tyres, I was deeply schocked.
Last time I went (with family) a shopkeeper when I was waiting in line to buy some hotdogs overheard us speak French (for people who know me , I hate obnoxious French tourists so I always try to behave in a discreet manner ) and I heard him say loudly Franse Ratten....

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Oh yes and winnipeg. Dear god we heard about how great it was and of course not to forget the charming "irish club" which was like a run down old shack. It was so funny because we thought it was gonna be a proper club with disco lights and all my mums reaction was estatic. Oh god and lets not forget the zoo, awful. It had grass about 10 feet tall and was empty half of the venues had no animals, belfast zoo is far far better.

My cousins always claim tha they have a better life than us but they really dont, winnipeg is crap the climate is far too cold and the prairies are flat desolate and boring.

Winnipeg was indeed one of the most boring places I have been to, and the scenery around it even more so... To be fair though I expected it to be dull, so it was not a disappointment to me more of a confirmation of fact !

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You hardly expected anything to be good down there now did you? I always got the impression that it was very desolate and poor.
Well Newcastle was good.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
But the most over-rated? Atlanta. It's just tons of urban sprawl, nothing significant about it.
I saw a travel show on Atlanta and they said a certain large strip-joint where women of all ages strip is considered by many to be its best tourist destination. That tells you something... Lots of good restaurants though.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
The Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta was the world's largest Aquarium (it's now #2, behind the new larger one in Singapore). Atlanta used to have the world's tallest Hotel.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Why would a tall hotel be impressive? lol. Culture, enjoyment and the like is how I would judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World