Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,579,059 times

Advertisements

Paris.

I was only there for a short time, but I thought it was over-priced, extremely dirty, and just unwelcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,238,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Thanks for the well thought out post.

TheRe

Sophie, don't take the bait. Huge poster is an LA booster until the end.

I agree, LA is overrated and isn't even a world class city. Americans in general think too highly of their cities, they see the enormous GDP and get arrogant. GDP = power, not culture which is something Anericans don't realize. And I'm from Anerica myself, I know how they are.
Im actually a chciago, miami, dallas, LA, seattle, cincinnati, cleveland, boston, nyc, atlanta, denver, baltimore, melbourne, singapore, seoul, edinbugh...so much

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,564,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have to agree with Los Angeles. Most of it feels like a huge suburb, not a compact and walkable city.
What's the point of that?

Every attraction there is so far spread out that it's very annoying. In fact, most people who haven't been there won't believe it. Hopefully, it will improve over time.
this

Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 7,546,848 times
For Me Athens, it was nothing like in expected it to be. It was also the year before the Olympic games were held. The national Archaeological Museum and a few other major sites were closed, and those that were open were covered in Scaffolding.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,238,308 times
I used to live in LA...

Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,455,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I cant give a long answer right now but OMG Los Angeles!!!!

What a sad soulless city!!!! :O
I agree. I'm from America and I know the OP said not to name a city in your own country but LA really disappointed me.

San Diego on the other hand- amazing! We did both cities on the same trip.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Actually, I found Salt Lake City to be gorgeous, but the people, as expected, are SUPER WEIRD.
I was dissapointed by NYC. Years of watching shows/movies had built it up in my.mind as this magical place. I was disappointed by China Town & times square.
I was actually suprised to find that I like LA, its kinda funky & not nearly as plastic as Id assumed ( In LA's defense, I grew up reading Sweet Valley High, watching Saved By the Bell, and wearing out my VHS copy of Clueless)

I live in Vegas & while there is plenty to do, I'm dissatisfied with the local population.

Miami was way dirtier than expected. Even though I grew up in FL, I never went to Miami until I was 20. Meh, I prefer Tampa.

Minneapolis was a quirky, unique present suprise. My favorite city in the MidWest.
D.C. is by far my most favorite American City.
Philadelphia was a bit disappointing. (Again - too much TV)

But the most over-rated? Atlanta. It's just tons of urban sprawl, nothing significant about it.
NYC is unfortunately very dirty but it does have a lot of great things going for it. It's my city so I cant hate it too much bc Im still here but I will tell you NYC is one dirty city. Hella fun though!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
LA has the million beaches, santa monica peir, universal studios, mountains for skiining, disneyland, more beaches, stapels center, koreatown, chinatown, hollywood sign, hollywood, rodeo drive, the million great restaurants and celebritues hmm i have a feeling you didnt really go their?
I was disappointed in LA bc I was expecting buildings and luxury but I guess I was expecting too much. It was pretty much like my town here at home- basic suburbia. I wasnt impressed. And it loses points for its lack of a subway system.

Btw the NYC area has chinatown, ski mountains, beaches and piers too and luxury shopping- ever hear of 5th avenue?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
For Me Athens, it was nothing like in expected it to be. It was also the year before the Olympic games were held. The national Archaeological Museum and a few other major sites were closed, and those that were open were covered in Scaffolding.
Well Athens is going through some rough times right now.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,184,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well Athens is going through some rough times right now.
Could you guys expand on Athens? I am planning a visit there possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World