Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 01:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

65 and sunny in Austin right now with 25% humidity. Chamber of Commerce weather, how can anyone not love this? Did a 3 mile run at lunch.

Tonight will be clear and 49 under calm winds. Tomorrow will be sunny and 77 under cobalt blue skies. Even better!

By Monday Gulf humidity creeps in, nightly lows creep up, daytime highs go down due to clouds and moisture returns. We need it though. Tues/Wed rain.

Here's what Christmas in Austin looks like, poinsettias doing well:
Winter Thread 2018-19 (Northern Hemisphere)-xmas.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 01:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
65 and sunny in Austin right now with 25% humidity. Chamber of Commerce weather, how can anyone not love this? Did a 3 mile run at lunch.

Tonight will be clear and 49 under calm winds. Tomorrow will be sunny and 77 under cobalt blue skies. Even better!

By Monday Gulf humidity creeps in, nightly lows creep up, daytime highs go down due to clouds and moisture returns. We need it though. Tues/Wed rain.

Here's what Christmas in Austin looks like, poinsettias doing well:
Attachment 206042

Sounds like crap. One of the main reasons I moved out of Austin was actually the warm winters and lack of snow. In contrast, the hot summers were fine for me (at least relatively speaking).

Old 12-21-2018, 02:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Sounds like crap. One of the main reasons I moved out of Austin was actually the warm winters and lack of snow. In contrast, the hot summers were fine for me (at least relatively speaking).
NYC isn't great winter-wise either for snow and cold, even if it has a winter. Much easier to escape to cold and snow. You planning another trip up north to the Adirondacks or Montreal like last year?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Good for you. We need people moving away from Austin up to the Northeast instead of the reverse!

Austin is like the only corner of the US where active people gather for hot weather activities. Other hot weather cities hate their hot weather (Houston), are seasonal hot spots in the winter (Phoenix, Miami), or tolerate their heat/humidity the best they can (New Orleans) but Austin is the only place you'll see mountain bikers on the trails mid day in the summer or people jogging Town Lake when it's 105.

I'd venture to say it's the "most active hot city".

It seems if you wanted reliably cold winters you'd move to the mountains of Washington state. The low pressure systems all winter ensure reliable snow and the summer is reliably cool and sunny. You are also a short drive to greenery or the desert when you need some sun...

Old 12-21-2018, 02:46 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

cranky weather guy is great. i follow him. no bs, no bias, just straight shooter. he is thinking after vortex disruption in late Dec we will get six straight weeks of cold weather and then winter will be done for good and a decent spring. I would love that.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:50 PM

In some climates snow gets people in the holiday mood. In Austin, poinsettias do it for me.

I rearranged some of the potted plants, looks better now. You must admit that poinsettia is impressive. The new pot is a "winter" mix of cabbage and kale. Yes we grow those in the winter here. When you click it, it straightens out. The step is so I can access the plants without messing up the mulch or the other plants (smart). The bush on the left is oleander, one of the greatest things about living in the SE/SW.
Winter Thread 2018-19 (Northern Hemisphere)-poinsettias.jpg

Even the sweet potatoes are blooming! But they'll be killed off again in the next freeze. This is regrowth from the last freeze early Dec.
Winter Thread 2018-19 (Northern Hemisphere)-poinsettias2.jpg

Old 12-21-2018, 02:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC isn't great winter-wise either for snow and cold, even if it has a winter. Much easier to escape to cold and snow. You planning another trip up north to the Adirondacks or Montreal like last year?

Yellowknife next month.

I also did a brief trip to Vermont already during the Thanksgiving Arctic Blast, but was too lazy to upload photos yet.

I 100% agree that NYC definitely doesn't have "real" winters either but they sure beat the hell out of Austin's.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:10 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
Looking good for early-mid January!

Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
.40" today and going back to a flat and dry and hot pattern later next week that i hate. But this month bailed my record dry year out to about normal.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:35 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Big snowstorm in the NC and VA mountains right now. Reports of 2-5" on the ground in some areas. You can see some reports on this map

Image from Tennessee

Snowfall forecast

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather