Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 02:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times

Advertisements

It's sunny and warm in Austin, 81 degrees under cobalt blue skies. This is arctic high pressure but modified by the latitude strong sun angle. Sometimes arctic high pressure can actually warm us up. Only cold times are when a cold front has overrunning. Nights are mid 40's though.

Fixed some sprinkler heads that were bothering me.

It's so spectacular out there! Loving this very dry (37 degree dewpoint, 22% humidity), sunny, and warm day, also no wind!

It's actually cooler in the house than outside but I still have the heat on (it just isn't kicking in). 72 in the house (I have good insulation), if it gets above 75 I'll consider opening a window when the temp outside is lower than inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 03:34 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Went skiing in the Laurel Highlands today. Solid 6-8" of snow up there, only a dusting back home. Won't survive tomorrow so hopefully tomorrow night's storm will bring snow

Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
Holy *, Boston recorded a max of 65 F yesterday. Putrid.

Relatively speaking, we "came out relatively unscathed" at 61 F. Now we are back into low 40s

Old 12-22-2018, 04:50 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I’ve only experienced one white Christmas. 60+ degrees is more popular lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Holy *, Boston recorded a max of 65 F yesterday. Putrid.
Here is Boston's max temps 2nd half of December since 1983

I circled the years they went above 60F

Seems like there was more pre 2009. Only twice since.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Kinda cool now at 54f. Gonna be a warm winter after this last 2 days. Full moon will blind you with the two small scopes i just got.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Kinda cool now at 54f. Gonna be a warm winter after this last 2 days. Full moon will blind you with the two small scopes i just got.
Well now you'll get some clear weather to view them in a bit.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:06 PM

895 posts, read 604,670 times
I came to Qingdao to visit my relatives. Unfortunately I came across the stereotypical Chinese smog every day except the 14th, which was a pretty nice day.

Weather.com says fog for the past 8 days. It was somewhat like Seattle with no rain. I will be returning on Christmas Day.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:05 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Technically you need 1" on the ground on 25th to be considered a "white christmas".

Wont happen here but it will be snowing Christmas Eve morning!

Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
I came to Qingdao to visit my relatives. Unfortunately I came across the stereotypical Chinese smog every day except the 14th, which was a pretty nice day.

Weather.com says fog for the past 8 days. It was somewhat like Seattle with no rain. I will be returning on Christmas Day.
China weather is an epic failure because of the Siberian High. It causes the air mass to be very stable which means very little wind in the winter. This means pollution can build up to horrible levels. This is one of the reasons I hate monsoonal climates.

North American climates are very interesting because both the humid subtropical and the continental climates still have plenty of moisture even in the winter because of the presence of the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf of Mexico playing a role in the weather. It means there never is a "Canadian High" like the Siberian High except sporadically. It also means no every present monsoonal rains in the summer. You can still have high pressure or low pressure, it's variable. It's one of the main reasons America is one of the most powerful countries. The fact that Boston got 65 degrees today in December but was 15 degree in November is one of the reasons. No matter how cold the northern cities can always get a respite just like no matter how warm the south there will always be some kind of freeze.

Enjoy the Tsingtao beer.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 AM

895 posts, read 604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
China weather is an epic failure because of the Siberian High. It causes the air mass to be very stable which means very little wind in the winter. This means pollution can build up to horrible levels. This is one of the reasons I hate monsoonal climates.

North American climates are very interesting because both the humid subtropical and the continental climates still have plenty of moisture even in the winter because of the presence of the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf of Mexico playing a role in the weather. It means there never is a "Canadian High" like the Siberian High except sporadically. It also means no every present monsoonal rains in the summer. You can still have high pressure or low pressure, it's variable. It's one of the main reasons America is one of the most powerful countries. The fact that Boston got 65 degrees today in December but was 15 degree in November is one of the reasons. No matter how cold the northern cities can always get a respite just like no matter how warm the south there will always be some kind of freeze.

Enjoy the Tsingtao beer.
I'd say the pollution is still primarily human-caused. Southern China still gets quite a bit of pollution despite getting more winter rain. What really needs to happen is to eventually remove the old factories that add the pollution in the first place. Pollution has gotten less severe over the past few years (source), which is proof that it is human-caused. Temperatures are still by far the most important factor to consider when rating a climate, followed by precipitation amount and sunshine. IMO precipitation pattern is a relatively minor factor that can bring a climate from a B down to a B-, but not have a major impact.

About the winter variability of North-American climates, I agree that it is interesting but then I also think that southern climates are hurt by being able to grow less subtropical plants.

Anyways, the AQI is at 91 now compared to 150-300+ for most of the past week. A strong wind from the sea blew off a good amount of the pollution. Btw, Weatherspark says that Qingdao averages 10-12 mph of wind in winter. That is quite a bit and I honestly think I was just unlucky. 2 weeks isn't enough to judge a climate.

And finally, I'm too young to drink beer.

Last edited by arcleo; 12-23-2018 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather