Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 08:45 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,051,237 times

Advertisements

Tonight there is a few sprinkles or flurries possible where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,973,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I am tripping over 40 scopes and this has been the worst year for viewing. Massive sell off coming. The upper levels are gonna flat line for us and back to boring and dry , hot weather for weeks maybe and maybe even all winter. I have seen cooler and wet Dec's before and BOOM back to super hot and dry winters from Jan thru March like 1990 was.
Dry and hot is great for telescopes though huh?

Old 12-24-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
More High pressure in summer? Stale winds? Might be it, winter is more active with fronts and summer is more stable.
LA gets its smog in the summer when the Pacific High Pressure dominates its weather for months on end. In the winter there is a constant succession of low pressure systems that clear the weather out. The air is great in LA in the winter. This is because it's a Med climate.

Beijing gets its smog in the winter when the Siberian High Pressure dominates its weather for months on end. In the summer there is are a constant barrage of monsoonal low pressure systems that clean its air out.

If Beijing had NYC weather, it would virtually have no pollution or inversion in the winter.

If NYC was stuck in Northeast China, it would have winter inversion pollution probably worse than LA.

Right now NYC only gets summer smog when the Bermuda High extends out and dominates the weather there, causing HHH (hazy, hot, humid) weather that tends to collect smog.

Cleaning up pollution can clean up the air a lot. In the late 70's/early 80's LA had horrible smog. Right now the smog is not bad except periodically. I was in LA last summer in August and the weather was very clear with no smog every day. We were at Disneyland, it was actually a little hot maybe 92-94 under full clear skies. The coast was mid 80's under clear skies. So some moderation but not a whole lot.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:27 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,051,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
LA gets its smog in the summer when the Pacific High Pressure dominates its weather for months on end. In the winter there is a constant succession of low pressure systems that clear the weather out. The air is great in LA in the winter. This is because it's a Med climate.

Beijing gets its smog in the winter when the Siberian High Pressure dominates its weather for months on end. In the summer there is are a constant barrage of monsoonal low pressure systems that clean its air out.

If Beijing had NYC weather, it would virtually have no pollution or inversion in the winter.

If NYC was stuck in Northeast China, it would have winter inversion pollution probably worse than LA.

Right now NYC only gets summer smog when the Bermuda High extends out and dominates the weather there, causing HHH (hazy, hot, humid) weather that tends to collect smog.

Cleaning up pollution can clean up the air a lot. In the late 70's/early 80's LA had horrible smog. Right now the smog is not bad except periodically. I was in LA last summer in August and the weather was very clear with no smog every day. We were at Disneyland, it was actually a little hot maybe 92-94 under full clear skies. The coast was mid 80's under clear skies. So some moderation but not a whole lot.
Low clouds and fog this morning in LA according to accuweather

Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 AM

29,590 posts, read 19,770,560 times
https://twitter.com/MikeHamernik/sta...07330675191808

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...06007493939200

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/statu...35146733035520

Lame December..... Bring on January

Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 AM

83,688 posts, read 76,052,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
How do you melt your snow to calculate snow ratio? Last year I did an interesting experiment to melt Christmas snow in Seattle and the ratio was over 30:1. Obviously seemed wrong as it was rather wet snow. I checked over the calculations to make sure it was correct. Still over 30:1.

I just used a plastic jug and "scooped" up a cylindrical volume of snow and measured the depth. Then I closed the cap and let the snow melt. Then I measured the volume of water and calculated the depth if it was in a cylinder with the same radius as the snow cylinder. Over 30:1.

Did most of the water just evaporate or something?

You need a rain gauge which is calibrated.

Keeping this simple here's a Photo I put together of when I was using the smaller rain gauge. You can get it at any big box store for $2.00

• First measure the snow where you're taking the sample from.
  • Simply turn rain gauge upside down and push down on the snow (make sure the snow is on a hard surface like a snow board or plywood).
  • Turn it upside down making sure snow doesn't fall out. (using a spatula works).
  • Bring inside to melt. That's it.
A rain gauge is calibrated to read the correct liquid going in so whatever snow is in there melts correctly.

In this case here, 2" of Snow Melted to 0.20" liquid. 10:1 ratios.

The more complicated way:

Spoiler

Purchase this official NWS Rain Gauge

Measure the snow.
Put the gauge upside down, push straight down, then I use a Spatula to hold the snow in there and flip it right side up. This sounds like a lot of work but its not once you get the hang of it and its fun!

When there's too much to wait for it to melt here's what you do....

Once inside.... There is a trick to melting it fast enough. Basically use the inner tube and fill it with hot water, write down how much you have in there, put that water in the outer tube filled with snow, you might have to do it a couple times if there's a lot of snow or ice. Don't forget to write down how much warm water you added!

Then start measuring the liquid in the outer tube and Subtract the warm water you put in. Now you have the liquid amount of the snow that fell.

There's a bunch of videos on youtube that will help with snow measuring stuff. Check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yNj1xCjqB4&t=200s

This one is 1 hour long but worth it. Good stuff!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbbj57fOcA&t=1247s

Old 12-24-2018, 10:05 AM

14,205 posts, read 22,874,372 times
The low temperature where I live is supposed to be below freezing tonight, and the high temperature tomorrow will be near normal. Perfect Christmas weather, entirely unlike 2015-2016. The pattern will get rainy after Christmas and into the new year, with a mild surge next weekend before temperatures revert back to normal entering the following week. But I don't mind cold rain during the winter. Merry Christmas, everybody.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:34 AM

30,765 posts, read 21,637,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Dry and hot is great for telescopes though huh?
Not always. Dry can = hazy skies.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:45 AM

5,045 posts, read 4,379,089 times
Forecast to get up to 62F here this afternoon with a sunny sky and low humidity; low of 47F tonight. More moisture arriving and forecast high of 67F tomorrow.

Too warm for Christmas but at least not as bad as '15 and '16.

Could get heavy rainfall Wednesday night and Thursday with maybe a low-end severe threat.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Cloudy and mid 50's in Austin. Just Blah weather. High of 58, low of 54, winds out of the SE from the Gulf, humidity rising. Currently 55.

Tomorrow we get a big surge of Gulf moisture with highs in the low 70's and rain. It's good the cedar pollen is high, need to wash it out. Thunderstorm and 69 on Wednesday. Thursday is Chamber of Commerce weather with sunny skies, low humidity, and 69 degrees.

A big overrunning system hits late Saturday. Our high will only be upper 40's under rain for the first 3 out of 4 days of the New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather