Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 AM

29,594 posts, read 19,714,810 times

Advertisements

Wow

https://twitter.com/ericfisher/statu...26983138492416
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,933,607 times
Quite an impressive snow squall. 5" of snow in some spots in Pittsburghs northern and easterm suburbs in just over an hour and half!

https://twitter.com/NWSPittsburgh/st...47123456536576

Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 AM

217 posts, read 147,067 times
Cambium's post re: max highs with Saturday in the teens in Kansas, wasn't it just last February parts of Kansas and Oklahoma soared into the mid-upper 90s?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM

12,622 posts, read 13,972,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

And i guess no peaches and cherries this spring either. Why can't feb just be average and then March avg and April above. That would be nice for once.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 AM

83,622 posts, read 75,673,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
We had quite the little icing event yesterday morning but I wasn't able to get on here to mention it. Fortunately it was Sunday. Only about a tenth of an inch or so of ice but our street and driveway were just an ice rink. I heard stories (unverified) of people falling on ice and breaking bones. Also heard of at least one person who couldn't get their car in their driveway and had to leave it in the street and get up to the house through the grass as the driveway was too slick. Roads are all just fine and dry this morning. But driveways facing north or surrounded by trees were still covered in ice as the temperature never got above 28 degrees yesterday. Today the sun is out and temps should climb just above freezing. Looking for the high to possibly hit 60F on Thursday before dropping back into the 30s on Friday.

Ice is no fun. One of the things I can live without. Should get some good thawing melting this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Cambium's post re: max highs with Saturday in the teens in Kansas, wasn't it just last February parts of Kansas and Oklahoma soared into the mid-upper 90s?
Good memory! Feb 2017 was pretty much a torch for everyone east of the Rockies. Take a look at Oklahoma City's temps that month. 80s 3 times. 70s 8 times.

Beauty of continuing these threads and forum is to have the ability to look back at our posts.
Take a look at the maps we posted February 11th last year.

Quote:
OK Panhandle is out of control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Anyone look at the temp map today in southern plains. Mid Level temps surging, hence the surface torching like its Mid Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
94F in February!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Dodge city hit 87
Beaver, OK hit 93 yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
It's up to 83° already at the OKC airport..

Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I can believe this. I've been following weather since the 1980’s and south Florida was never in the 80’s (F) this much in the winter time. Mostly 70’s and 60’s with occasional 80’s. Now it’s like 80’s are the default and 60’s & 70’s are the exception.
Hmmm... You sure? As much as I hate using Miami since we saw how nuts that station was last year vs other stations around them but lets take a look at the number of times Miami hit 80° or warmer in winter only (Dec-Jan-Feb)

Since they have 40 or more this winter so far I highlighted all other years since 1980 as you mentioned that had it as well...

Looks like it's typical/usual to have this many 80s in winter. Last year of course the most but 1988-89 winter had 65. Damn.

Period of 1983-1988 was a nice low stretch. It's when the PDO was consistently in the positive phase and the AMO was in negative phase.. PV dropped south a lot and the Jet dug down in Eastern U.S. Maybe a less existent or weak Southeast Ridge

Here's a graph for it.

NWS Miami NowData

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,287,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ice is no fun. One of the things I can live without. Should get some good thawing melting this week.
I agree with that. I can take all the snow winter can throw at us. But as soon as they mention freezing rain, I get that feeling of dread!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM

29,594 posts, read 19,714,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And i guess no peaches and cherries this spring either. Why can't feb just be average and then March avg and April above. That would be nice for once.
I think the east will get one more good shot of cold this March before spring sets in.

Polar Vortex split and it pushed westward not eastward this time

Look at the PNA nosedive. That is a cold signal for the western US and Canada

Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM

12,622 posts, read 13,972,037 times
Quote:
I think the east will get one more good shot of cold this March before spring sets in.

Polar Vortex split and it pushed westward not eastward this time

Look at the PNA nosedive. That is a cold signal for the western US and Canada

As long as we get some avg to below avg March temps to balance out Feb then the fruit trees should be okay in April. The worst is a way above normal Feb and March then a bad hard freeze in mid April and everything is lost that I like to eat lol.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM

1:30pmEST map. Day # 7 in a row for Orlando in the 80s....Poor Florida. Can't even get that front to sag south more. That's the muscle flex of the SER. 80s and Sun

Wish I was in Ohio. Sunny and 30s. I got clouds here for 3 days now.

From NWS Tampa Bay

Quote:
National Weather Service Tampa Bay Ruskin FL
637 AM EST Mon Feb 12 2018

Warm and muggy weather pattern to remain in place across the
region today and Tuesday with temps nearing record highs
yet again. At the surface, a stalled boundary will remain in
place across the FL Panhandle with quiet a bit of rain
falling across that area. Closer to home, SW flow aloft
continues

Heading into the medium to long range period, a continuation
of rather warm February weather will persist. Broad upper
ridging will continue to build in across the Gulf of Mexico
with surface high pressure extending across the Eastern
Seabord and eventually into the Gulf of Mexico.

As heating continues, the atmosphere will become unstable
enough for the development of sea breeze showers and even a
few thunderstorms. The favored location will be along and
east of I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather