Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,711,572 times

Advertisements

It feels like winter here. Hardly out of single figures again! But in reality winter is still a long way away and a lot of people are getting their hopes up early, and gonna be rather bored for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 AM

83,694 posts, read 76,068,519 times
Farmers Almanac (an almost 200yr formula which includes sun, moon, planet alignment) came out with their winter forecast.

They said for first time ever they had a disclaimer and said if El Nino gets strong it could be the cure ball and throw the forecast off into more rain/warmer but they are sticking with this because El Nino still looks "out to sea" (weak to nothing)

ABC has story on it. Farmers' Almanac Predicts Another Nasty Winter - ABC News

For Northeast

Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,008,420 times
Their forecasts are worthless hit or miss luck of the draw.

Here is what they said for this past summer:

http://www.almanac.com/content/long-...-forecast-2014

For example, Washington DC had 32 inches of snowfall throughout the season ranking it as one of snowiest since records began in 1888. It was the winter that felt like it would never end! For summer, we predict that Washington DC will be hit with red-hot heat in the beginning of June—before summer even officially begins! The rise in the mercury will be unrelenting with the highest temperatures hitting early to mid-July and early to mid-August. Washington, DC will buck one national trend with above-average rainfall. Combined with the heat, the nation’s capital will seem downright tropical. As summer winds down, a hurricane is predicted to hit the Atlantic Corridor in early- to mid-September providing one last punch.

Okay, that really happened.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM

24,494 posts, read 23,217,857 times
The Farmers Almanac is about as hit or miss as The NOAA, its just guess work and predictions are never easy beyond a week. Hurricanes only have a 48 hour predictability and even then its closer to 24 hours.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM

118 posts, read 101,629 times
I for one hope the almanac is right again for this year for the lower Midwest. I would love for it to be snowy and blustery. I figure though because I am in the lower Missouri area we will likely see more Ice than Snow. I want a blizzard and not an Ice Storm of 2007 repeated.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,338,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Always depressing to see winter threads in August... Couldn't have this thread waited till at least mid or late November?...
Me too I hate winter with a passion, so I'm hoping for warmer and drier than normal here in Denver. In the meantime, it's supposed to be mid 80s and sunny this weekend, so I'll be at the pool

Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM

83,694 posts, read 76,068,519 times
Weathertrend360 Winter Forecast.

Long Range Weather Forecasting & The 2014-2015 Winter Outlook - Blog - weathertrends360

"This chart shows we still think the Winter will be colder than average for the U.S. overall but not the epic cold some are forecasting."

"Temperatures up first. This map is color-coded to show the change in temperatures vs last year with lines to show where temperatures will be above average (northern tier of the U.S.), average (middle U.S.) and below average (southern part of the U.S., due in large part to much wetter conditions keeping daytime temperatures relatively colder). Obviously even the warmest temperatures in North Dakota are colder than Texas so everything is relative to your specific area.

An example on how to read the map - in the Dakotas it's much warmer than last year and warmer than average. In New Jersey it's likely to be warmer than last year but still below average."

"The national trends suggests much of the snowy conditions are going to shift West this year so that will help keep the snowfall +6% above average nationally but still 8% less than last year."

"When you add it all up from November 2014 to March 2015 here's what we see. In areas like the Great Lakes we see below average snowfall that is 60% less than last year with a split flow jet stream making the South soggy with the polar jet spending much more time in Canada this year where it belongs!!! With an active southern jet stream we are very concerned about a couple major ice storms from Texas to New York City. Near wt360 Headquarters in Bethlehem, PA we had 24 snow events last year which is off the charts in terms of frequency of events.

This year closer to 10 events with many more rain storms, couple ice storms and two storms over 6" but not 24 storms this year!!!"

Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,050,094 times
Well, my day just got worse. Apparently, I am predicted to be "below average" in snowfall.

I think it will be another major winter, though. I just know it. Somehow.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,986,860 times
According to that, I'd get one inch of snow while Lynchburg gets a foot. That'd be a rip off.

But it also says I get between 6-9 inches based on the percentages. Hmm...

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,774,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weathertrend360 Winter Forecast.

Long Range Weather Forecasting & The 2014-2015 Winter Outlook - Blog - weathertrends360

"This chart shows we still think the Winter will be colder than average for the U.S. overall but not the epic cold some are forecasting."

"Temperatures up first. This map is color-coded to show the change in temperatures vs last year with lines to show where temperatures will be above average (northern tier of the U.S.), average (middle U.S.) and below average (southern part of the U.S., due in large part to much wetter conditions keeping daytime temperatures relatively colder). Obviously even the warmest temperatures in North Dakota are colder than Texas so everything is relative to your specific area.

An example on how to read the map - in the Dakotas it's much warmer than last year and warmer than average. In New Jersey it's likely to be warmer than last year but still below average."

"The national trends suggests much of the snowy conditions are going to shift West this year so that will help keep the snowfall +6% above average nationally but still 8% less than last year."

"When you add it all up from November 2014 to March 2015 here's what we see. In areas like the Great Lakes we see below average snowfall that is 60% less than last year with a split flow jet stream making the South soggy with the polar jet spending much more time in Canada this year where it belongs!!! With an active southern jet stream we are very concerned about a couple major ice storms from Texas to New York City. Near wt360 Headquarters in Bethlehem, PA we had 24 snow events last year which is off the charts in terms of frequency of events.

This year closer to 10 events with many more rain storms, couple ice storms and two storms over 6" but not 24 storms this year!!!"

If that comes true this winter that would ****ing suck man. Go from a lame summer to a lame winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather