Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,402,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Most winters we tend to get one good event with lying snow that lasts a while.. to be fair the winters before the last one were colder than usual and not normal, a typical winter is like one from the early 00s
Wasn't winters in the early 90s cold that's what I heard.

I remember winters pre 2009 they seemed more balanced the coldsnaps were not so cold, snow not too much etc

I think the cold winters are behind us now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Wasn't winters in the early 90s cold that's what I heard.

I remember winters pre 2009 they seemed more balanced the coldsnaps were not so cold, snow not too much etc

I think the cold winters are behind us now though.
The 80s were cold definitely.. not sure about the 90s..

I remember the early 00s as I was a young kid still, I seem to remember them being mostly mild but always having a few cold snaps with lying snow

Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,402,572 times
Now that the summer solstice has passed and the nights are getting longer, all thoughts will inevitably turn towards winter. Questions will be raised such as, will 2013/14 be repeated? Or will 2014/15 be cold and snowy. Well let’s first look at why the 2013/14 winter turned out so persistently wet and windy. There have been strong suggestions that persistent Indonesian rainfall had a huge impact on the Pacific jet stream, causing the jet to buckle and allowing a dominant high pressure system to reside just off the Northwest coast of America and Canada. This in turn started to drag very cold air from the Artic, filtering down the eastern side of the USA and plunging these areas in to a very cold and bitter winter. Due to the eastern USA being unusually bitter, the cold temperatures caused a huge temperature contrast between the warm flow of the Atlantic Ocean (via the Gulf Stream) and the cold air mass filtering out of the USA. This contrast was partly responsible, along with an unusually strong QBO (Quasi-biennial oscillation) for a strengthening of the jet stream, which in turn strengthened the low pressures systems that affected the United Kingdom. Another factor to consider is solar activity, although the science regarding this factor has only recently come to fruition, it’s possible that increased solar activity during the winter of 2013/14, probably due to the suns magnetic polar flip, was also partly responsible for the strengthening of the Atlantic jet. So a lot of factors it seems had to come together at just the right time to produce such a consistent flow of Atlantic depressions. So will this be pattern be repeated in 2014/15? Well we don’t think so as it stands, partly because we have a devolving El Nino, which won’t guarantee a cold winter, but our winters during an El Niño tend to be drier than average. The last El Nino winter we experienced was 2009/10, which turned out to be a very cold winter, so the chances are that a repeat of 2013/14 will be very unlikely. There are some signals that this winter will possibly have some colder periods, however, this is not a given with this time frame but as ever we will keep you updated. Watch this space!!!! - See more at:

UK Winter 2014/15 Weather Forecast

To balance everything out I think the upcoming winter will be average and dry leaning towards SLIGHTLY colder than average. As it says above a repeat of last winter isn't likely considering it was so mild and wet. I've seen some articles saying autumn will be a mild one though.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,606,222 times
Let us not speak of such horrors. Summer is still with us.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree..

Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,474,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Summer has paid us a few short visits, but ultimately thought better of it.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,606,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I'd have to look it up but I'm sure that we have been through to January without a frost before, or close to it. Our average low in October is still 8C and the cold nights don't really come until later in the month/start of November
Mine is 3°C

Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 PM

418 posts, read 729,873 times
ooh, I want a dry El Nino winter here in Oregon. Winter 04-05 was my favorite ever. And California needs the rain.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, it's not even fall yet, Cambium
About 3 leaves have fallen and I'm on the top of a mountain in NC. Take it easy, boy.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM

118 posts, read 101,422 times
I happened to be out looking at houses here recently and have noticed that the leaves are already changing/falling. Its very peculiar that this is happening this early in the year. Sadly I don't remember 09-10 very well I think it was a rather normal year for snow -- but research shows it was cooler than usual (no records) though. Was hoping it would be like a 10-11 year with a blizzard. Nothing beats sitting in front of the fireplace and sipping hot cocoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather