Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 AM

186 posts, read 367,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
i know the feeling. I've worked since I was 16 and I'm 29 now. I'm going to school for a degree because nobody is accepting applications anymore with just a diploma. Hell office assistant positions are even asking for college educations
i'm 32 now..and i have a degree..it isn't helping me at all.. unfortunately the articles are true..jobs are intentionally not hiring unemployed people..it's why i haven't heard from 100s of places i've applied for

Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM

143 posts, read 225,771 times
Is the house still voting today on unemployment? Not that it will do anything but still want to know.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Heh...sounds alot like me, except this is my first week after Tier 2. I'm 30 and I've never been unemployed and I hate it. I can't seem to find a good job, and when I'm applying for one, I know there are at least 10+ others applying for the same job. I aim high...I'm way out of my league, I aim low...I'm overqualified, I aim for the right job...and I blend in among the other numerous applicants, I aim for a temporary retail job...and the younger college/high school kids that don't have any kids and can work for cheap are chosen over me.

I'm on my wife's health insurance and she works hard at her job. It's frustrating, but I'm thankful her job is safe. But it still makes me feel awful that I can't support me, my wife, and my son. I'm sure alot of you are familiar, but there's that raw, anxious feeling you get...almost feels like a lump in your throat. I've had that feeling numerous times since I was laid off. I'm sick of the anxiety, I'm sick of the politics, and I'm just sick of being jobless.
i feel the same way.. it's worse for me because i have a kid on the way, and meanwhile my wife is working instead of me while she's pregnant..it makes me look horrible to other people who think i'm just being lazy..especially since i've always worked my ass off..most i do now is clean the house, look for a job, and try to add things to my house or do outside house work to feel better..like i'm not completely useless

Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jznomoney View Post
Is the house still voting today on unemployment? Not that it will do anything but still want to know.
the senate won't do anything until they come back the 12th..regardless of what the house does today..it won't mean anything until they come back on the 12th. for a bill to pass, it has to pass the senate and the house and then get signed by obama

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

776 posts, read 1,691,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
i feel the same way.. it's worse for me because i have a kid on the way, and meanwhile my wife is working instead of me while she's pregnant..it makes me look horrible to other people who think i'm just being lazy..especially since i've always worked my ass off..most i do now is clean the house, look for a job, and try to add things to my house or do outside house work to feel better..like i'm not completely useless
I can only smile because we all seem to be in the same boat. My wife is also pregnant with our second. And I'm at home taking care of my son, but just trying to stay busy with my job search and cleaning around the house and finding projects. But my wife is working hard at her job and she's pregnant, and of course, I feel like crap because to others...it's like she wears the pants in the family, ya know?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I can only smile because we all seem to be in the same boat. My wife is also pregnant with our second. And I'm at home taking care of my son, but just trying to stay busy with my job search and cleaning around the house and finding projects. But my wife is working hard at her job and she's pregnant, and of course, I feel like crap because to others...it's like she wears the pants in the family, ya know?

luckily, we always saved and didn't spend everything we had..we have a good nest egg,..and it helps that we put 120 k down on our house..the mortgage is more bearable..still..our house taxes went up an all time high..an extra 800 dollars a year..it's ridiculous..especially since in most states, taxes for a home is 1/4 of what i pay for my house that is the same size.. in europe, taxes are 500 dollars a year for a home my size..and i'm paying 12 thousand a year

Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM

143 posts, read 225,771 times
I know it has to pass the senate too just wondering if the house was doing anything on unemployment today.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM

308 posts, read 685,261 times
In 2009, the Democrat-controlled Congress, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The stimulus bill? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised spending/deficits. Did it work? Did it reduce unemployment and create jobs? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics. Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM

128 posts, read 219,990 times
the house is voting on it now and I just got this from another board

Harkin hopeful unemployment extension will pass tonight « Iowa Independent

Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 AM

18 posts, read 27,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
the house is voting on it now and I just got this from another board

Harkin hopeful unemployment extension will pass tonight « Iowa Independent
But why do they think they will get different results? Where is the other vote coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment