Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 251,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwira View Post
The government cannot extend benefits forever. Unfortunately, the people who still cannot find a job after their benefits run out will have to go on welfare. And our taxes must go up to pay for this. There is simply no way around it.

No one said forever. The proposed extension runs until the end of the year. This should have been done back in January but nope. 1-2 month at a time while putting people on edges with every extension. What have these incremental extensions done except put people through needless stress over and over?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 PM

103 posts, read 188,897 times
Why is it that anyone who states a viewpoint different than the majority is "against extending unemployment"?. I am not. Good luck to you all. I truly hope you find jobs and do not have to go through this ever again.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM

169 posts, read 275,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
I'll be celebrating the 4th of July by trying to figure out how to make my car payment. Woohoo!!
wow that sucks but when i was really stuck i sold stuff on ebay...gave me a few extra bucks...i had quite a collection of designer handbags i collected over the years..over 75....i might have 5 or so left that i just cant part with..but ebay is just a thought

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 PM

600 posts, read 1,077,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
wow that sucks but when i was really stuck i sold stuff on ebay...gave me a few extra bucks...i had quite a collection of designer handbags i collected over the years..over 75....i might have 5 or so left that i just cant part with..but ebay is just a thought
You're gonna laugh at this (it's funny in a weird way to me).........

I have my car. And I have clothes. That's it. Oh...and some toiletry items.

I sold off everything the past year (and when I say everything, I literally mean everything) so that I could pay for my son's child support and keep that going for him and his mom.

But thank you for the idea, ebay is definitely the way to go to get some extra cash every now and again!

How much will they give ya for a kidney these days?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM

407 posts, read 663,200 times
I think that BOTH SIDES need to show a bit of class and respect for each other... this sort of childish back and forth--- name calling--- insult hurling and posting for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people needs to end... it is a violation of the site rules and its just plain stupid and childish....

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM

305 posts, read 473,110 times
Senate GOP again kills jobless aid extension - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20100630senate_gop_again_kills_jobless_aid_extensi on/srvc=home&position=recent - broken link)

But since Republicans Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine voted with Democrats to advance the $33 billion measure, its passage seems assured next month once a replacement is named for Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, who died on Monday. Democrats would then have a filibuster-proof majority for the bill.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM

306 posts, read 607,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane 08753 View Post
i've been a nurse for 28 yrs...still cant find a job in my field...why?? i'll tell you why...i'm older and have to much experience....so why cant i get a job at k-mart....well because i'm over qualified and when they see i'm a nurse they know i'll leave if and when i find a job in my field so why invest in training me to run a cash register...employers are stuck too...but if i was an employer i'd also hire the most inexpensive person i could and thats how things are right now..
Hmmm, did ya ever think about moving??? I see tons of jobs for nurses daily b/c I look too just to see what's out there...are you in NJ or somewhere else?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM

103 posts, read 188,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronethanh View Post
No one said forever. The proposed extension runs until the end of the year. This should have been done back in January but nope. 1-2 month at a time while putting people on edges with every extension. What have these incremental extensions done except put people through needless stress over and over?
I only have anecdotal eveidence but one of my girlfriends who was unemployed over 1 year, finally accepted a job, albeit at a lower salary, because she was tired of waiting to see whether she would get an extenson. I hope two of my nephews will do the same.

It's obvious that people need JOBS, not handouts.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

305 posts, read 473,110 times
Senate GOP again kills jobless aid extension - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20100630senate_gop_again_kills_jobless_aid_extensi on/srvc=home&position=recent - broken link)

But since Republicans Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine voted with Democrats to advance the $33 billion measure, its passage seems assured next month once a replacement is named for Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd, who died on Monday. Democrats would then have a filibuster-proof majority for the bill.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

107 posts, read 160,312 times
so what happens if i go to emergency benefits next week here in nj, and then in 2 weeks they pass the bill?..do i go back on the tiers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment