Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Atlanta is not further away from the Caribbean, its actually a whole lot closer than Houston. Hell the whole Southeastern US is. That explains why there are more in Atlanta.
True, it is closer. I guess I'm just thinking of how it's so far north. Still, are you sure that their West Indian population is larger, or are you just assuming it is?

It's still no excuse for Houston. One Caribbean club is pitiful.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Awwwww, shuck now! *dances* Somebody get me some Crown Royal and a deck of cards so I can get a spades game going!
LOL you know how those old timers use to do back in the 80's and 90's at Joe Pool Lake. They use to get they strut on at the lake to some down home blues while grubbing on some chicken wings and barbeque. It truly was a sight to see. I miss those days as a youngster. I didn't have a care in the world back then. And music back than actually felt good to the soul.

JJG I know you where raised on the southwest side of town but you remember the club "The Real Thing" off miller AVE on the Eastside of Fort Worth...

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 03-13-2012 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
True, it is closer. I guess I'm just thinking of how it's so far north. Still, are you sure that their West Indian population is larger, or are you just assuming it is?

Surely there is more than one. I don't believe that, this city has everything.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM

469 posts, read 886,125 times
Dallas used to have two. One was in Deep Ellum and one was off Webb Chapel and Marsh. Not sure if either are still there or if there were more.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Wasn't sure if I did either, but that club does tout itself as the only Caribbean club in the city, and I certainly haven't heard of any others.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
this city may have alot but i wish it was packaged a little better, meaning if there is more than one carribean spot in Houston, i wish it was closer together in its own organized district.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Enjoy life people...

Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:

New York City and Toronto are even further north than Atlanta and have a larger West Indian presence. A lot of the Caribbeans moving to Atlanta moved there from South Florida or NYC for cheaper housing.

Metro Matt is actually right about Atlanta having a larger Caribbean-born population. According to this chart on page 12, table 7, the Atlanta area has 3% Caribbean born blacks while Greater Houston is at 1%. That was as of 2005, so things may have changed by now. I know Houston has a large Nigerian population, but it shows that Atlanta was 5% and Houston was 3%. But I think Atlanta has more Ethiopians. Caribbeans tend to stick to the East Coast:

Quote:
Caribbean-born blacks are highly concentrated on the East Coast. In 2005, 62 percent of Caribbean blacks lived in either the New York or Miami-Fort Lauderdale metropolitan areas (see Table 7). Haitians are the leading Caribbean-born group in the Miami area, while Jamaicans are the leading group in the New York metro areas.

Several of the same metro areas were among the top 15 for African blacks (New York, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and Boston), but they accounted for a much smaller share of the total. Only one-quarter of black Africans lived in one of the top 15 metro areas, and these top 15 are much more far-flung. In addition to Atlanta and the East Coast cities, large African communities have emerged in Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston.

I built charts on the American Community Survey site, and according to them, the foreign born population from the Caribbean is as follows:

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...html?fpt=table

Foreign born; Born in Caribbean (Estimate):
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area: 71,156
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area: 13,545
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area: 28,647

So I can see how there aren't as many clubs that cater to Caribbeans in Houston or Dallas.

ETA: I added the African foreign born populations for those who wanted to know:

B05006: PLACE OF BIRTH FOR THE FOREIGN-BORN POPULATION IN THE UNITED STATES - Universe: Foreign-born population excluding population born at sea

Africa:

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area: 68,010

Ethiopia: 9,873
Nigeria: 17,119

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area:63,929

Ethiopia: 8,452
Nigeria: 13,293

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area:52,327

Ethiopia: 4,092
Nigeria: 17,049

Those figures were as of 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
LOL you know how those old timers use to do back in the 80's and 90's at Joe Pool Lake. They use to get they strut on at the lake to some down home blues while grubbing on some chicken wings and barbeque. It truly was a sight to see. I miss those days as a youngster. I didn't have a care in the world back then. And music back than actually felt good to the soul.

You bought me back! Memories of my dad and uncles frying catfish and red snapper and my Mom and aunts making hush puppies while "After the Pain" by Betty Wright or some ZZ Hill played in the background and my Aunt Marjorie with her hands on her hips and a cigarette dangling out of her mouth cussing us kids out for being too loud as she was chugging too much Hennessey or Ripple. Memories chile, memories.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 03-14-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
New York City and Toronto are even further north than Atlanta and have a larger West Indian presence. A lot of the Caribbeans moving to Atlanta moved there from South Florida for cheaper housing.

Metro Matt is actually right about Atlanta having a larger Caribbean-born population. According to this chart on page 12, table 7, the Atlanta area has 3% Caribbean born blacks while Greater Houston is at 1%. That was as of 2005, so things may have changed by now. I know Houston has a large Nigerian population, but it shows that Atlanta was 5% and Houston was 3%. But I think Atlanta has more Ethiopians. Caribbeans tend to stick to the East Coast:
Well Matt wasn't right, because I don't even think he was sure about it. I wasn't either. Thanks for the info, though, OO. New York and Toronto were a given, of course.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Wasn't sure if I did either, but that club does tout itself as the only Caribbean club in the city, and I certainly haven't heard of any others.
Many places use that tactic and often times I find it to be pure gimmick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
this city may have alot but i wish it was packaged a little better, meaning if there is more than one carribean spot in Houston, i wish it was closer together in its own organized district.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Well it doesn't help that neighborhoods are so split up, naturally with the many ethnicities here there should be more ethnic neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas