Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what is the right way to densify??

Or rather, how is densifying in 55 different cities in 10,000 square miles better than densifying in one city in the same 10,000 sq miles?
Because... each city will densify to their city's demand.Everybody that moves here wont be Dallas' sole responsibilty to accomidate. The People that do decide to live in dallas(wich is a small percentage according to the 2010 census) will move into some high calibur well planned urban projects.

In Houston...all of the newbies move to Houston..That puts the burden on houston to accomidate thousands and thousands and thousands more people which puts a bigger strain on the city's infrastructure. In the attempt of the city of Houston to accomidate this grand influx of people...it allows houston to have more relaxed code structure and laws for developers. And if you couple that with no zoning you get a busy city with poorly planned, bland, boringly designed tall buildings going up everywhere and quickly because of the influx....this is what I meant.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,362,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Because... each city will densify to their city's demand.Everybody that moves here wont be Dallas' sole responsibilty to accomidate. The People that do decide to live in dallas(wich is a small percentage according to the 2010 census) will move into some high calibur well planned urban projects.

In Houston...all of the newbies move to Houston..That puts the burden on houston to accomidate thousands and thousands and thousands more people which puts a bigger strain on the city's infrastructure. In the attempt of the city of Houston to accomidate this grand influx of people...it allows houston to have more relaxed code structure and laws for developers. And if you couple that with no zoning you get a busy city with poorly planned, bland, boringly designed tall buildings going up everywhere and quickly because of the influx....this is what I meant.
Except that it isn't supported by fact, and the rest is just your opinion.

Just like DFW, the majority of our growth is suburban, and the majority of the metro area lives outside of the City of Houston, and not in it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,001,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Except that it isn't supported by fact, and the rest is just your opinion.

Just like DFW, the majority of our growth is suburban, and the majority of the metro area lives outside of the City of Houston, and not in it. You have no idea what you're talking about.
he is wrong, but you are also partly wrong.

Houston Metro is divided into 3rds

1/3 of the pop is city proper
1/3 is city supported ETJ
and the other 1/3 is suburban.

Less than 2M people in Houston Metro resides in the Burbs outside Houston's influence. Over 4M in the city and its jurisdiction share its services.

But yeah, what he is saying is still junk.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,362,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
he is wrong, but you are also partly wrong.

Houston Metro is divided into 3rds

1/3 of the pop is city proper
1/3 is city supported ETJ
and the other 1/3 is suburban.

Less than 2M people in Houston Metro resides in the Burbs outside Houston's influence. Over 4M in the city and its jurisdiction share its services.

But yeah, what he is saying is still junk.
Few people consider the ETJs as the real Houston. When I say "City of Houston", I mean the actual city.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The levees are the catalyst for the entire TRP.

The MHH bridge is what may be considered a centerpiece.

There are wide enough lanes to the sides of the roadways on the bridge that allows space for riding bikes and walking. Several people were doing that on Sunday when I drove across.

Wouldn't it be easier to complete construction on the bridge(s) prior to flooding the Trinity Basin underneath?

Maybe, but again MHH also has access for bikers and pedestrians.
A bridge like this would've been more tasteful looking in Dallas & costed billions less to build. The city could have done so much with that extra money saved. What a waste.

Cleveland, Ohio

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,979,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A bridge like this would've been more tasteful looking in Dallas & costed billions less to build. The city could have done so much with that extra money saved. What a waste.

Cleveland, Ohio
There's nothing really special about it. It's kinda too plain.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Its all Dallas needed.

The Trinty ain't nothing special.

Lots of cities were founded on rivers & bayous.

If they could put just that much water into it that would be better than what is currently there...nothing.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Few people consider the ETJs as the real Houston. When I say "City of Houston", I mean the actual city.
he is arguing on the basis of city services.

Screw ETJ I am talking about the population that Houston provides services too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Cleveland, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I think that it is a sexier bridge than what was built in Dallas

Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,321,722 times
Well now that we've established that everyone in Houston hates the MHH Bridge in Dallas let's start getting opinions on the 2nd bridge being built. The McDermott bridge for I-30. There will be 3 bridges in total for Houstonians to loathe. Will be a tough choice on which one to hate the most!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well now that we've established that everyone in Houston hates the MHH Bridge in Dallas let's start getting opinions on the 2nd bridge being built. The McDermott bridge for I-30. There will be 3 bridges in total for Houstonians to loathe. Will be a tough choice on which one to hate the most!
actually renderings of that one doesn't look as ridiculous.

That MHH one will always be tops for most ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas