Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Pleasing to the eye is relative. I wouldn't trade Houston's lush landscape for Dallas' sterility in a million years. Not a chance.
And just how many freakin trees do you need? Aside from possibly having the largest urban forest as we already went over, you can zoom out on Google Maps and most of Dallas except along Stemmons is a blanket of green. Houston is the same except the treeless areas are mostly along the river. I can look out my window and see more trees than houses. If you want more trees than Dallas has, I suggest you move out of the city.

Also, the trees we have change from one season to the next. I spent most of my life in East Texas and the static pine trees are kind of boring. It's nice to be able to see them change colors throughout the year.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
And just how many freakin trees do you need? Aside from possibly having the largest urban forest as we already went over, you can zoom out on Google Maps and most of Dallas except along Stemmons is a blanket of green. Houston is the same except the treeless areas are mostly along the river. I can look out my window and see more trees than houses. If you want more trees than Dallas has, I suggest you move out of the city.

Also, the trees we have change from one season to the next. I spent most of my life in East Texas and the static pine trees are kind of boring. It's nice to be able to see them change colors throughout the year.
Actually if you move out of the city in North Texas there's less trees lol.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Outside of Loops 12 & 635 the landscape gets pretty barren & monotonous in North Texas.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM

328 posts, read 471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
No, because all the suburbs (not cities live DFW) know that Houston is the king in the metro. This draws more attention to your main city. WE dont have cities like Arlington or Ft. Worth trying to make a name for themselves but The Woodlands. Which is doing a good job.

Like I stated before The Art District in Dallas is nice but it cannot top Houston in this Department and that is a fact. So let it rest.

Also, Im glad y'all do not have everything in one spot. DFW is too spread out for that.
So let it rest.
Why do multiple HTown homers say "let it rest," or "case closed"? Unless you're a moderator you can't close any cases. Neither can the other dude on here who believes his opinions are facts.

DFW is too spread out for that.
When I read this I had to chuckle. What's he saying? That Houston isn't sprawled out? Check out this article, paying close attention to the image.

New York YIMBY: Largest U.S. Cities in 2020; Will New York Always Be #1?
The image below shows just how sprawl-driven Houston (among others) has become. Despite half as many people as Paris (6 vs. 12 million, approximate), Houston takes up twice as much space. Houston takes up over 3/4 of the space of Los Angeles, as well--L.A. is over three times the size of Houston!
So much for the density argument whatshisname makes! Whoo!

I also find it interesting that instead of using MSA (metropolitan statistical area) figures, he is using CSA (combined statistical area) numbers. Using CSA instead of MSA drops DFW from #4 to #7 and Houston from #6 to #9. These are official 2010 census numbers.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,630 times
Quote:
True enough. I was thinking he could move to rural East Texas since he likes trees so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Outside of Loops 12 & 635 the landscape gets pretty barren & monotonous in North Texas.
Perhaps, but it's been made clear that we're only talking about the cities here, not the metros. Or do we just go by whichever benefits Houston the most?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Folks Dallas has the largest white population in the south. Please keep that in mind. Dallas may seem whiter than Houston because overall DFW has a much larger white population than Houston.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Dallas Is Least Segregated Big City in America - MBN Main Site

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/us...ewanted=2&_r=3

Houston is second least segregated if that means anything.

I hope no ones @ss got laughed off too much. I know it's hard for Houston lovers to swallow but things do change with time. I think to people from Houston, Dallas seems more white-ish because the gentrified areas are much larger here.
Your articles fail to expand on any tangible facts or that what can be spun on paper doesn't translate into reality.

Dallas:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5091/5...48fd2f77_z.jpg

Houston:

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...al-graphic.jpg

In Houston, you have some neighborhoods that are almost exclusively one race, but not whole sides of town. You also don't have the stigma that Dallas has with North=white & good, and South=black/Hispanic & bad.

The best part of town is the west side, and as you can clearly see, it's plenty mixed, especially in the SW.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post

Clealry, you've never been to Atlanta and witnessed how great it is when you have loads of trees mixed in with plenty of development and even urbanity. Also, it's not just about tree cover as it is height and the variety of trees. I love tall trees. Don't be mad that Dallas can't do it.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I never said Dallas is just for white people. You're the one acting like Dallas was all around better for everyone, when it comes to nightlife and the singles scene. I was merely pointing out that, for minorities, this is easily debatable.

Dallas more racially integrated than Houston?? LMAO.
Seriously, do you guys read? This just came out about a month ago. Chicago was named the nation's most segregated city.
Chicago Most Segregated City In America, Despite Significant Improvements In Last Decade

"According to the dissimilarity index, Dallas and Houston are the least segregated large cities."
Civic Report 66 | THE END OF THE SEGREGATED CENTURY: Racial Separation in America's Neighborhoods, 1890-2010

"According to the study, Boston’s dissimilarity index, which is a tool used to measure segregation, dropped four points from 62.6 in 2000 to 57.6 in 2010. The cities with the lowest dissimilarity indexes were Dallas and Houston, whose 2010 score were 47.5 and 47.8, respectively. The city with the highest was Chicago, at 71.9 in 2010."
Study suggests the end of racial segregation « tdigiamm

The higher the number, the more segregated a city is. Dallas beat Houston by 0.3, admittedly a win by a nose, but as they say in politics and the NFL, a win is a win. Just ask Romney.

LMAO.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Clealry, you've never been to Atlanta and witnessed how great it is when you have loads of trees mixed in with plenty of development and even urbanity. Also, it's not just about tree cover as it is height and the variety of trees. I love tall trees. Don't be mad that Dallas can't do it.
Also, it's not just about tree cover as it is height and the variety of trees. I love tall trees.

Are you Mitt Romney?

Mitt Romney Repeatedly References Height Of Trees In Michigan
"I love this state," he told an audience Tuesday. "The trees are the right height."

On Friday afternoon, Romney reprised the comment, saying, “This feels good, being back in Michigan. You know, the trees are the right height."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas