Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,380,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
The bridge is pretty ridiculous when you consider the astronomical cost for something that isn't aesthetically pleasing nor very practical. I posted this article in the Dallas forum which goes into detail about just how ridiculous it really is ( like the apparent $4million wasted on trying to "create" whitewater rapids on the Trinity.) When it comes to these cheesy stunts, it plays into the observation that Dallas is all hat and no cattle...glitz without the substance. Just like many Dallasites seem to be impressed by that tacky Omni Hotel downtown. It doesnt take much to impress alot of Dallas folks...just throw lights on it.

Just Pretend the Calatrava Bridge Really Is Opening, Sit Back and Listen to Lyle. - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer
You mean like building a $106 million cruise ship terminal without securing a tenant?

13 Undercover: Port of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal, which cost $106 million to build, not used since completion 2.5 years ago | abc13.com

How ridiculous for Houston to think it could actually compete with popular Ports of Call like Miami and New Orleans. Cities where people on leisure trips actually want to visit.

$106 million wasted in a city that is in desperate need of infrastructure improvements; such as, rail transit, flood control and sidewalks. Glitz without substance, and another example of Houston's deficiency in planning.

At least city officials in DFW know how to get projects done right.

Last edited by First24; 03-03-2012 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM

875 posts, read 1,662,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
You mean like building a $106 million cruise ship terminal without securing a tenant?

13 Undercover: Port of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal, which cost $106 million to build, not used since completion 2.5 years ago | abc13.com

How ridiculous for Houston to think it could actually compete with popular Ports of Call like Miami and New Orleans. Cities where people on leisure trips actually want to visit.

$106 million wasted in a city that is in desperate need of infrastructure improvements; such as, rail transit, flood control and sidewalks. Glitz without substance, and another example of Houston's deficiency in planning.

Yea this was unnecessary. Galveston already have the major cruise chains and more will come in the future. Disney will be sailing from Galveston starting in the Fall with 2 cruise ships the Disney Magic and Pricess Crown Princess. There was no need for them to build this. I was opposed to this as well.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 03-03-2012 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM

998 posts, read 1,326,653 times
Quote:

This isn't a pissing match for me. I'm from Houston and I currently reside in DFW. I've had the opportunities to live in much better cities. I've said before that both Houston and Dallas have ALOT of work to do and the Bayport Cruise Terminal is a silly idea just like the Margaret Hunt bridge; especially in an era when certain folks feign concern about "wasteful" spending. Its not like there aren't in bridges or roads now that connect Downtown to west Dallas.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM

6,707 posts, read 9,962,759 times
Quote:
This isn't a pissing match for me. I'm from Houston and I currently reside in DFW. I've had the opportunities to live in much better cities. I've said before that both Houston and Dallas have ALOT of work to do and the Bayport Cruise Terminal is a silly idea just like the Margaret Hunt bridge; especially in an era when certain folks feign concern about "wasteful" spending. Its not like there aren't in bridges or roads now that connect Downtown to west Dallas.
Not directly to Woodall Rodgers and I-35E.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,851,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Houston can have those beaches. They are very dirty. You will never see me in Galveston.
Obviously you're never seen in Galveston, since you have this idea that it's so dirty. Same tired thing other Texans unfamiliar with it say over and over again. https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...tml#post236014

Oh yes, Galveston is so dirty! Which is why Coastal Living Magazine did one of their Idea Homes there! And why it's considered a top ten Spring Break spot!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Last time I checked this so called bridge to nowhere connects downtown to an older established neighborhood.

If y'all had this same scenario in Houston you'd be singing its praises to high heaven. Move on with your sour grapes, it's built, it's beautiful, it's functional and makes our city even better. Build a bridge and get over it.
The bridge looks nice with the light show on at night. They could have easily built a bridge to West Dallas, instead of this faux-suspension bridge. I understand they wanted to try and make an iconic structure, but it looks out of place in the middle of the prairie. The night time light show is what saves it from being a complete waste of funds.

Quote:

Yes, this was a big mess up by the City of Houston. Galveston already had all of the cruise business, so building Bayport wouldn't do anything. They thought it would be successful because it is closer in (to people, not for the ships), but Galveston has more attractions for passengers and ships don't have to drive up the ship channel. I don't know what they are going to do with that thing.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The bridge is pretty ridiculous when you consider the astronomical cost for something that isn't aesthetically pleasing nor very practical. I posted this article in the Dallas forum which goes into detail about just how ridiculous it really is ( like the apparent $4million wasted on trying to "create" whitewater rapids on the Trinity.) When it comes to these cheesy stunts, it plays into the observation that Dallas is all hat and no cattle...glitz without the substance. Just like many Dallasites seem to be impressed by that tacky Omni Hotel downtown. It doesnt take much to impress alot of Dallas folks...just throw lights on it.

Just Pretend the Calatrava Bridge Really Is Opening, Sit Back and Listen to Lyle. - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer
Why should it matter what you think. People thought the Omni Hotel was a waste of money, but it opened ahead of schedule and under budget.

Downtown hotels boost sales during Omni

Hill Bridge

wfaa.com | Video, Dallas - Fort Worth Video, News Video, Featured Video

Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Obviously you're never seen in Galveston, since you have this idea that it's so dirty. Same tired thing other Texans unfamiliar with it say over and over again. https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...tml#post236014

Oh yes, Galveston is so dirty! Which is why Coastal Living Magazine did one of their Idea Homes there! And why it's considered a top ten Spring Break spot!
I am joking. I actually have been to Galveston. I distinctly remember a huge sea wall on the beach. We were across the street from a Jack in the Box. We also bought Galveston T-shirts from a gift shop.

Here it is on google maps

Here's the jack in the box

Google Maps

This is where we got our shirts

Google Maps

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Last time I checked this so called bridge to nowhere connects downtown to an older established neighborhood.

If y'all had this same scenario in Houston you'd be singing its praises to high heaven. Move on with your sour grapes, it's built, it's beautiful, it's functional and makes our city even better. Build a bridge and get over it.
Why is it so difficult for you all to accept the fact that some of us simply thing the bridge is a dumb idea? It screams that Dallas is desperate for attention, sorry.

But I understand that instead of actually considering the views of others, it's much easier to just call them jealous. That is the way this generation thinks: love everything that I do, or you're just a hater. Narcissism at its best.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,380,898 times
Quote:
Margaret Hunt Hill bridge gives the commuter a direct east-west link to/from downtown all the way to Loop 12 (via Singleton) while avoiding I-30.

People will argue for awhile whether the design and costs for the bridge were necessary. That's cool, because in the mean time it will be serving it's main purpose, while attracting development to West Dallas.

Bayport is a monument to wasteful spending, coupled with poor planning. It's a flat out boondoggle. I'm curious, how many tax dollars have been and still are being spent for maintenance costs, in additional to the $106M already in the hole.

Galveston already had a cruise terminal with tenants and is a far more attractive draw for leisure travellers. What was the City of Houston thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas