Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,326,512 times

Advertisements

Why does this bridge get the people of Houston so worked up? Dallas is investing in a lot of infrastructure projects to modernize the city. This bridge is the first of 3 being constructed over the Trinity flood plain. Yes bridges are needed to connect western and southern Dallas with downtown across this flood plain. Is it so bad that Dallas decides to make the bridges look nice? Perhaps this attitude of "why would Dallas build this?" is why Houston is very ragged looking. Culturally the Dallas area likes to put in the extra effort to create a nice environment. Attention to details are important in development styles in Dallas. Houston's hodge podge is being called character, but to me it is just laziness in planning or lack of vision.

Houston may beat Dallas by a very small margin on density per square mile but Dallas is building a better urban environment.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dangerfield.

The bridge is only in its opening stages. Its putting the cart before the horse. The whole Trinity River project scope is really what needs to be focused on. But its a nice vision nonetheless.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Exactly.

Style over substance: The Dallas Way

Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,386,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dangerfield.

The bridge is only in its opening stages. Its putting the cart before the horse. The whole Trinity River project scope is really what needs to be focused on. But its a nice vision nonetheless.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
<sigh> OK, I'll bite.

ComingtoHouston--> C2H--> stoneclaw,

It's alot easier and cost effective to construct a bridge prior to releasing water into the reservoir. HELLO!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM

875 posts, read 1,664,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston could learn from Dallas on putting a little extra effort in packaging itself and also marketing. I can't even think of any tv shows filmed or set in Houston.
Jason's Lyric is my favorite. Its probably the only movie I can think of that shows the real Houston. I'm sure there's more.

List of films set in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will agree we do need a little marking strategy but not much of it. Hell, We are doing fine without a marketing strategy have you seen the stats lately. Our metro is not lagging in much but public transportation and we are working on that.

But Dallas is lacking in things to. Especially in the Culture/Arts Department (which is very important). You have no Theater District no Museum District and you don't have areas that look or fell like Montrose or Midtown which fells very authentic IMO. You cant expect to be the "Leading Metro in the State" if you cant get this together. The Art district is nice but Houston is leading the State and the South when it comes to arts/culture.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 03-03-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,061,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Lol, do you hear yourself? The fact that Dallas has to "put the water there" is all that needs to be said about how absurd aspects of this project are. I'm all for cleaning up the eyesore, but there is such a thing as going overboard, and that's exactly what's happening.
Do you know how many natural lakes are in Texas? The answer is one, and it's nowhere near Dallas nor Houston. The water had to be put in Lake Houston just as it had to be put in White Rock Lake, Grapevine Lake, Lewisville Lake, and soon in the lakes near Downtown Dallas. That's what we do to make up for the lack of lakes, not just Dallas but the entire state. Do you feel the same way about all the dozens (maybe hundreds) of reservoirs elsewhere in the state? Our new lakes will hardly be more than ponds, but I'm sure there are none of those in Houston, right?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Why does this bridge get the people of Houston so worked up? Dallas is investing in a lot of infrastructure projects to modernize the city. This bridge is the first of 3 being constructed over the Trinity flood plain. Yes bridges are needed to connect western and southern Dallas with downtown across this flood plain. Is it so bad that Dallas decides to make the bridges look nice? Perhaps this attitude of "why would Dallas build this?" is why Houston is very ragged looking. Culturally the Dallas area likes to put in the extra effort to create a nice environment. Attention to details are important in development styles in Dallas. Houston's hodge podge is being called character, but to me it is just laziness in planning or lack of vision.

Houston may beat Dallas by a very small margin on density per square mile but Dallas is building a better urban environment.
You're the guy who finds North Texas more attractive than North Georgia. No offense, but I personally question your taste.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with making your city more attractive, but Dallas has effortlessly crossed the line from tasteful to tacky. You can have nice bridges without all the "extra".

When people think of great bridges, they think of the. outstanding, innovative pieces of art over SIGNIFICANT bodies of water, connecting two great places. I highly doubt Hunt will ever join that list.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,061,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
<sigh> OK, I'll bite.

ComingtoHouston--> C2H--> stoneclaw,

It's alot easier and cost effective to construct a bridge prior to releasing water into the reservoir. HELLO!
I've said that and someone else said it before me, but it doesn't seem to matter to them. Apparently they would prefer to spend extra money to make sure they don't "put the cart before the horse".

Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
You're the guy who finds North Texas more attractive than North Georgia. No offense, but I personally question your taste.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with making your city more attractive, but Dallas has effortlessly crossed the line from tasteful to tacky. You can have nice bridges without all the "extra".

When people think of great bridges, they think of the. outstanding, innovative pieces of art over SIGNIFICANT bodies of water, connecting two great places. I highly doubt Hunt will ever join that list.
I have never once said that North Texas is more attractive than North Georgia. I think Dallas is a cleaner city than Atlanta, yes. I don't think North Texas is as ugly as people like to say, but the geographically the Atlanta area is prettier. I personally don't like how heavily forested Atlanta is for being a large city, it feels almost country-like in certain areas. I personally think Houston has just the right amount of greenery for a large city.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Houston could learn from Dallas on putting a little extra effort in packaging itself and also marketing. I can't even think of any tv shows filmed or set in Houston.
We're certainly losing no sleep over that, trust me. Our economy is thriving, and people are coming home from their good jobs to enjoy their lives and their families.

Just the other day I was watching Terms of Endearment, which is an American classic, set in Houston (River Oaks).

Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
We're certainly losing no sleep over that, trust me. Our economy is thriving, and people are coming home from their good jobs to enjoy their lives and their families.
I guess thats why I am more of a Dallas person. Much better nightlife, fashion sense and attractive single scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas