Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Houston or Dallas, but have visited both trying very hard to decide which would I love better to move to when I relocate to Texas. As an objective visitor to both cities, this is what I've noticed:

Houston

Pros: Greener, friendlier people/feels more Southern, more international, more ethic restaurants and events, freeways and streets are much better planned out than Dallas's.

Cons: Worse traffic, more humid, hurricanes and floods, lack of zoning makes it look a LOT less clean than Dallas, everything is spread so far apart that added with traffic that it's almost not worth the time it takes to go anywhere even though there are plenty of entertainment options.

Dallas

Pros: Bigger metro area, better selection of suburbs, better sports teams, weather allows you to experience all four seasons, neighborhoods seem to have their own unique identities more than the ones in Houston, CLEANER LOOKING than Houston, less traffic and sprawl, more jobs and a more diverse selection of jobs available.

Cons: Freeways and streets are WAY more confusing, tornadoes (hope everyone is okay) in the spring and ice in the winter, A little less diverse with considerably less ethic options, location in North Texas makes it feel more Westerns and Midwestern than Southern (which is probably why the people don't seem quite as friendly and welcoming as the ones in Houston).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but that's just my view as an outsider. Also, I will admit that before I was leaning towards moving to Houston as so many people say it's so much better but now I'm considering Dallas more seriously than Houston.

Why? Because Houston is super fun to visit, but Dallas just seems like the more practical of the two to live in. Houston seems over-crowed and like the hot-spot to be right now to the point where it seems like it's going to get "maxed out" pretty soon, kind of like Atlanta did after it grew so quickly. But in Dallas, there still seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth and progress for a much longer period of time (as evident by Dallas's plentiful job market while it's MUCH harder to find a job in Houston). Also, pretty much anything you can find in Houston, you can find in Dallas. And if there's anything you can't find in Dallas, Houston is only a 3 and a half hour drive away.

Questions? Opinions? Answers? I'd love to hear them

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
I don't live in Houston or Dallas, but have visited both trying very hard to decide which would I love better to move to when I relocate to Texas. As an objective visitor to both cities, this is what I've noticed:

Houston

Pros: Greener, friendlier people/feels more Southern, more international, more ethic restaurants and events, freeways and streets are much better planned out than Dallas's.

Cons: Worse traffic, more humid, hurricanes and floods, lack of zoning makes it look a LOT less clean than Dallas, everything is spread so far apart that added with traffic that it's almost not worth the time it takes to go anywhere even though there are plenty of entertainment options.

Dallas

Pros: Bigger metro area, better selection of suburbs, better sports teams, weather allows you to experience all four seasons, neighborhoods seem to have their own unique identities more than the ones in Houston, CLEANER LOOKING than Houston, less traffic and sprawl, more jobs and a more diverse selection of jobs available.

Cons: Freeways and streets are WAY more confusing, tornadoes (hope everyone is okay) in the spring and ice in the winter, A little less diverse with considerably less ethic options, location in North Texas makes it feel more Westerns and Midwestern than Southern (which is probably why the people don't seem quite as friendly and welcoming as the ones in Houston).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but that's just my view as an outsider. Also, I will admit that before I was leaning towards moving to Houston as so many people say it's so much better but now I'm considering Dallas more seriously than Houston.

Why? Because Houston is super fun to visit, but Dallas just seems like the more practical of the two to live in. Houston seems over-crowed and like the hot-spot to be right now to the point where it seems like it's going to get "maxed out" pretty soon, kind of like Atlanta did after it grew so quickly. But in Dallas, there still seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth and progress for a much longer period of time (as evident by Dallas's plentiful job market while it's MUCH harder to find a job in Houston). Also, pretty much anything you can find in Houston, you can find in Dallas. And if there's anything you can't find in Dallas, Houston is only a 3 and a half hour drive away.

Bravo!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Also, I will admit that before I was leaning towards moving to Houston as so many people say it's so much better but now I'm considering Dallas more seriously than Houston.

Why? Because Houston is super fun to visit, but Dallas just seems like the more practical of the two to live in.
Really? because I have found most people say the opposite. Most people say Dallas is more fun to visit while Houston is more practical and affordable to live.

Quote:
Houston seems over-crowed
lol, you must not be from the northeast

Quote:
and like the hot-spot to be right now to the point where it seems like it's going to get "maxed out" pretty soon,
Houston and Dallas are growing at the same pace, with Houston just slightly faster than DFW.

Quote:
kind of like Atlanta did after it grew so quickly. But in Dallas, there still seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth and progress for a much longer period of time (as evident by Dallas's plentiful job market while it's MUCH harder to find a job in Houston).
Actually DFW is the one like ATL. If you was paying any attention at all you would see that it was DFW and ATL that short out the gate like bulls greyhounds, but both slowed a little while HOuston sped up. So you have things a little confused in your head right now.

Further Houston's job market is slightly stronger than DFW's. It has a higher job growth, it has more company start ups, more corporate relocations, The housing market is slightly stronger and the cost of living is a little less. People follow the jobs, and it is the stronger economy in Houston that kept houston strong while DFW and ATL slowed.

Quote:
etc. Also, pretty much anything you can find in Houston, you can find in Dallas. And if there's anything you can't find in Dallas, Houston is only a 3 and a half hour drive away.

You take 3.5hrs to drive from DFW to Houston??? What are you driving??? DFW is about 4.5 hrs away speeding.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You take 3.5hrs to drive from DFW to Houston??? What are you driving??? DFW is about 4.5 hrs away speeding.
.... how fast do YOU drive? lol

I make the trip from PV to FW all the time, nearly the exact same distance as Houston to Dallas. It takes 3.5 hours and I'm goin' around 70-80mph.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... how fast do YOU drive? lol

I make the trip from PV to FW all the time, nearly the exact same distance as Houston to Dallas. It takes 3.5 hours and I'm goin' around 70-80mph.
Well I guess if you are talking about areas in the Metro that are on the fringes like Prairie view, then maybe. But after that 3.5 hrs how much ore time does it take getting into Houston? Exactly.....

According to Google mapsit is 250 freaking miles away , a no traffic drive from where I live takes 4hrs and 9 mins. Houston, TX 77004 to Dallas, TX - Google Maps

if You know anything about 45 you know to add an hr to that. There is always traffic on 45. Getting in or out of the city is always a mess. And you gotta stop for a snack.

FYI it takes an hour from PV to where I live:
Houston, TX 77004 to Prairie View, TX - Google Maps

Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Well I guess if you are talking about areas in the Metro that are on the fringes like Prairie view, then maybe. But after that 3.5 hrs how much ore time does it take getting into Houston? Exactly.....

According to Google mapsit is 250 freaking miles away , a no traffic drive from where I live takes 4hrs and 9 mins. Houston, TX 77004 to Dallas, TX - Google Maps

if You know anything about 45 you know to add an hr to that. There is always traffic on 45. Getting in or out of the city is always a mess. And you gotta stop for a snack.

We've been on 45. Seriously, from Houston to Dallas on that corridor, it's just about the same amount of time, give or take 15 mins.

(Hey, ya did say speeding....)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:

I drive between DFW and Houston ALL the time. Its only a 3.5hr drive. Depending on how fast I'm going, I can get to Conroe in 3 hours. Averaging 70mph you can get to Houston in 3.5 hours easily.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I drive between DFW and Houston ALL the time. Its only a 3.5hr drive. Depending on how fast I'm going, I can get to Conroe in 3 hours. Averaging 70mph you can get to Houston in 3.5 hours easily.
again, like I said from fringe to fringe yeah. But if you are talking about home to where you are going in Houston its more like 4.5. For example, the poster asked what he can't find in DFW he can drive to Houston. Most probably the poster is not gonna find whatever he is trying to find in Conroe or PV. If he is driving from Euless, Denton or somewhere not on the southern fringe of DFW to a beach for example it is gonna me quite more than 3.5hrs. Its gonna take you 30 minutes to get out of DFW, its gonna take you 1 hr to get through Houston to the beach and 3hrs between

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Neither, please!

Dallas=Heart of Darkness
Houston=The Hellmouth

Better places are Kerrville, Austin, Lakeway, San Antonio and Wimberley

Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Neither, please!

Dallas=Heart of Darkness
Houston=The Hellmouth

Better places are Kerrville, Austin, Lakeway, San Antonio and Wimberley

This thread is about the rivalry of the two Texas giants, not which are the cutest wittle tourist areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas