Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
This thread is about the rivalry of the two Texas giants, not which are the cutest wittle tourist areas.
she is in Austin, what do you expect? they always think they are better than the major cities, when in fact they are just getting on the road

Old 04-04-2012, 05:36 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
I don't live in Houston or Dallas, but have visited both trying very hard to decide which would I love better to move to when I relocate to Texas. As an objective visitor to both cities, this is what I've noticed:

Houston

Pros: Greener, friendlier people/feels more Southern, more international, more ethic restaurants and events, freeways and streets are much better planned out than Dallas's.

Cons: Worse traffic, more humid, hurricanes and floods, lack of zoning makes it look a LOT less clean than Dallas, everything is spread so far apart that added with traffic that it's almost not worth the time it takes to go anywhere even though there are plenty of entertainment options.

Dallas

Pros: Bigger metro area, better selection of suburbs, better sports teams, weather allows you to experience all four seasons, neighborhoods seem to have their own unique identities more than the ones in Houston, CLEANER LOOKING than Houston, less traffic and sprawl, more jobs and a more diverse selection of jobs available.

Cons: Freeways and streets are WAY more confusing, tornadoes (hope everyone is okay) in the spring and ice in the winter, A little less diverse with considerably less ethic options, location in North Texas makes it feel more Westerns and Midwestern than Southern (which is probably why the people don't seem quite as friendly and welcoming as the ones in Houston).

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but that's just my view as an outsider. Also, I will admit that before I was leaning towards moving to Houston as so many people say it's so much better but now I'm considering Dallas more seriously than Houston.

Why? Because Houston is super fun to visit, but Dallas just seems like the more practical of the two to live in. Houston seems over-crowed and like the hot-spot to be right now to the point where it seems like it's going to get "maxed out" pretty soon, kind of like Atlanta did after it grew so quickly. But in Dallas, there still seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth and progress for a much longer period of time (as evident by Dallas's plentiful job market while it's MUCH harder to find a job in Houston). Also, pretty much anything you can find in Houston, you can find in Dallas. And if there's anything you can't find in Dallas, Houston is only a 3 and a half hour drive away.

Questions? Opinions? Answers? I'd love to hear them
Nice post. Some facts are a little off in terms of growth etc.

Both areas are growing at pretty much the same pace. Houston has picked up the pace recently as DFW had been growing faster for a longer period of time. I don't think I would say Houston is more of the place to be right now. Both are popular destinations.

I don't think its necessarily harder to find "a job" in Houston, but the market is more diverse in DFW.

Houston is the more practical place to live of the two. Dallas just makes more sense.

I agree with most of what you said though.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
she is in Austin, what do you expect? they always think they are better than the major cities, when in fact they are just getting on the road

Yep. And I even defend Austin plenty on these boards and I like the area well enough. But get that Austintude outta here. I can't stand that nonsense.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
DFW does need to attract more Asian into the core. Virtually our entire asian population lives in the burbs.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Detroit of 1950 would have never seen Houston coming at it to take the 4th spot...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Nice post. Some facts are a little off in terms of growth etc.

Both areas are growing at pretty much the same pace. Houston has picked up the pace recently as DFW had been growing faster for a longer period of time. I don't think I would say Houston is more of the place to be right now. Both are popular destinations.

I don't think its necessarily harder to find "a job" in Houston, but the market is more diverse in DFW.

Houston is the more practical place to live of the two. Dallas just makes more sense.

I agree with most of what you said though.
It's not that DFW had been growing faster than Houston for a longer period of time. DFW's growth was just overestimated, while Houston's growth was underestimated. Both were growing at about the same clip, until the end of the decade, where Houston started gaining more and more domestic migrants, which upped it's annual growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Detroit of 1950 would have never seen Houston coming at it to take the 4th spot...
Tell me, what industries in Austin is going to propel it above Houston? There is nothing similar between Houston and Detroit's situations. Back in the 80s there was, but not anymore.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I just watched that video. I like big, public, art/architecture projects, but this bridge is truly a bad one. Whoever said: "a croquet hoop over a drainage ditch" is entirely right, but left out the cobwebs part. Everyone involved in that piece of unnecessary architectural grotesquerie should be fired. It is the second worst new bridge in a major city that I have seen. Only the Nelson Mandela bridge in Johannesburg, South Africa is worse, and it is close. Ticky, tacky, tacky. I challenge Houston to build something dumber over a bayou.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's not that DFW had been growing faster than Houston for a longer period of time. DFW's growth was just overestimated, while Houston's growth was underestimated.
looks like they are still doing that.

The Census estimates just came out, and they have DFW gaining slightly more than Houston.

They did that all last decade that is why they got the Dallas metro totals screwed

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
looks like they are still doing that.

The Census estimates just came out, and they have DFW gaining slightly more than Houston.

They did that all last decade that is why they got the Dallas metro totals screwed
The census isn't accurate...only a brainwashed people actually believes the numbers the census spews out. Just be happy Houston is growing and not seeing stagnate growth. At the end of day who really cares about these dumb estimates.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 AM

385 posts, read 967,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I challenge Houston to build something dumber over a bayou.
challenge accepted.

although, this is just a pedestrian bridge and serves it's purpose quite well.
ok, it's not dumber. but it is over a bayou.
challenge failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas