Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
you keep on pressing that issue. Dallas's nightlife is no better than Houston nightlife. If i was going by my impressions of Dallas's nightlife, I would've concluded that i was in a big city with a bunch of hick bars, and yes i was in the Deep Ellum area not too far from Coyote Ugly. But i can't say that because i didn't know where to go. Just like you don't know where to go in Houston. So i can conclude Houston has better nightlife.

I'll give you that Dallas is the sexier city but next time you're in Houston, check out the new Kirby@Westheimer , The Mix@ Midtown and areas around it, Discovery Green/Embassy Suites on the park, and OPP with the new Phoenicia Grocery store. Each of those areas give off a little sexiness in my opinion.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
I was down there for new years and saw all those places except the grocery store. And Coyote Ugly in Dallas? When were you last out here 10 years ago? Never even hard of that place! Deep Ellum has only started to re-invent itself in the last couple years. I would hardly call any of the bars in Dallas hick bars. I think this statement was a bit far fetched and yes Dallas does have better nightlife. Everyone in Houston kept pointing us to Washington Avenue as the place to go. We went and it was pretty much like Greenville Avenue in Dallas. Add in all the other big nightlife areas of Dallas and you have a much better scene. I'm sorry you didn't get out more in Dallas to really experience what it has to offer. I can guarantee you would have a great time.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I was down there for new years and saw all those places except the grocery store. And Coyote Ugly in Dallas? When were you last out here 10 years ago? Never even hard of that place! Deep Ellum has only started to re-invent itself in the last couple years. I would hardly call any of the bars in Dallas hick bars. I think this statement was a bit far fetched and yes Dallas does have better nightlife. Everyone in Houston kept pointing us to Washington Avenue as the place to go. We went and it was pretty much like Greenville Avenue in Dallas. Add in all the other big nightlife areas of Dallas and you have a much better scene. I'm sorry you didn't get out more in Dallas to really experience what it has to offer. I can guarantee you would have a great time.
Where is worldlyman when you need him.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
You realize Washington Ave is only a piece of nightlife in Houston. Montrose, Rice Village, downtown, etc.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You realize Washington Ave is only a piece of nightlife in Houston. Montrose, Rice Village, downtown, etc.
Yes I do. I've been out in Montrose. Hung out in Rice Village.. could have searched around downtown some more for the nightlife there, but I've been to Discovery Green, Pavillions, etc.

I'm not saying Houston doesn't have nightlife in different areas of town. It definitely does. It's just not like what is in Dallas.

This is like those that try to say Dallas doesn't have better shopping options. It's just one of the things that Dallas does better. I don't think i've seen a Houston poster say anything they think Dallas does better..... "Houston is just as good or better". Must be pride getting in the way again. oh well.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
you keep on pressing that issue. Dallas's nightlife is no better than Houston nightlife. If i was going by my impressions of Dallas's nightlife, I would've concluded that i was in a big city with a bunch of hick bars, and yes i was in the Deep Ellum area not too far from Coyote Ugly. But i can't say that because i didn't know where to go. Just like you don't know where to go in Houston. So i can conclude Houston has better nightlife.
I'm wondering where/when you went in Deep Ellum that it was like this. Coyote Ugly isn't there anymore and I'm not sure when it was. There are several clubs there that have hosted some major rock bands. Just looking at the schedule for Trees this month, I really wish I didn't work evenings. I was there last night listening to techno, not my usual thing but I was meeting a friend there.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't 10 years ago. I was just up there for the Superbowl last year and we went out clubbing. We had a good time, but nothing different than what we'd find in Houston. Trust me, I've been to lower Greenville, and it was no better than how Main Street downtown used to be or how Washington Avenue is right now. Deep Ellum didn't impress me, not saying it was bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. I haven't even been downtown Main Street in Houston in a long time, but last time i was there, there was still a little stuff going on, as well as the Market Street area around the corner.

Houston has the better nightlife. There's just simply more to do and more options around town, with more interesting neighborhoods that are just not domniated by caucasions. I notice you continue to say over and over that Dallas is more vibrant and better nightlife which is subjective opinion since you are from Dallas, c'mon? Of course you're going to say Dallas is better because you're from there and you know it better. I only used the hick bar analogy to say that was the main impression i got one time i visited, but i realized that i still had more exploring to do, just like you still have more exploring to do in Houston. I'm always passing by places off Fountainview, Richmond Ave (even though its probably not quite what it was in the 90s), and the new Skybar downtown is on and poppin'.

Quote:
I don't think i've seen a Houston poster say anything they think Dallas does better..... "Houston is just as good or better". Must be pride getting in the way again. oh well.
And its not pride what you're doing by going on about Dallas nightlife being better? Who made the verdict other than you and a few other Dallas posters/fans on here to say this to where Houstonians should be saying this? I'm always talking about what i think Dallas does better than Houston through its urban style planning and development, so don't start with the pride crap.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
No, it wasn't 10 years ago. I was just up there for the Superbowl last year and we went out clubbing. We had a good time, but nothing different than what we'd find in Houston. Trust me, I've been to lower Greenville, and it was no better than how Main Street downtown used to be or how Washington Avenue is right now. Deep Ellum didn't impress me, not saying it was bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. I haven't even been downtown Main Street in Houston in a long time, but last time i was there, there was still a little stuff going on, as well as the Market Street area around the corner.

Houston has the better nightlife. There's just simply more to do and more options around town, with more interesting neighborhoods that are just not domniated by caucasions. I notice you continue to say over and over that Dallas is more vibrant and better nightlife which is subjective opinion since you are from Dallas, c'mon? Of course you're going to say Dallas is better because you're from there and you know it better. I only used the hick bar analogy to say that was the main impression i got one time i visited, but i realized that i still had more exploring to do, just like you still have more exploring to do in Houston. I'm always passing by places off Fountainview, Richmond Ave (even though its probably not quite what it was in the 90s), and the new Skybar downtown is on and poppin'.

And its not pride what you're doing by going on about Dallas nightlife being better? Who made the verdict other than you and a few other Dallas posters/fans on here to say this to where Houstonians should be saying this? I'm always talking about what i think Dallas does better than Houston through its urban style planning and development, so don't start with the pride crap.

If a fair comparison was presented Dallas would come out ahead. You keep mentioning Deep Ellum, but that's just one small scene of Dallas for live music, etc. In all honesty though perhaps I did not give the Montrose area a chance. I went out to the bars on Pacific and those weren't that great so I summed up the entire neighborhood. Next time I'll have to look up the other bar districts in Montrose. I was in Rice Village for dinner and had some drinks, but we did not stick around after that to look for clubs/lounges etc. so i need to check out that area better next time as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:

Houston has the better nightlife. There's just simply more to do and more options around town, with more interesting neighborhoods
end of discussion right there.

Dallas nightlife = Bland and plastic

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
If a fair comparison was presented Dallas would come out ahead.
Based on who? and what? Becasue R1070 says so?

You have any sources or anything to back up your claim? Nothing but your opinions and you have the nerve to try to say "Houston pride" this or that?

I realize Deep Ellum is a small piece to Dallas's nightlife, but that was one of the areas you mentioned as a strength along with Greenville.

I appreciate your admitting that maybe you haven't explored all of Houston's nightlife, but on a true comparison, Houston's just feels more integrated and organic overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Where is worldlyman when you need him.
for more 3 ft camera man videos? LOL j/k

Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Based on who? and what? Becasue R1070 says so?

You have any sources or anything to back up your claim? Nothing but your opinions and you have the nerve to try to say "Houston pride" this or that?

I realize Deep Ellum is a small piece to Dallas's nightlife, but that was one of the areas you mentioned as a strength along with Greenville.

I appreciate your admitting that maybe you haven't explored all of Houston's nightlife, but on a true comparison, Houston's just feels more integrated and organic.

for more 3 ft camera man videos? LOL j/k

And maybe that's why we disagree. I don't go for organic. You know that for New Year's most people put on their best and head out on the town. We stayed at the Four Seasons in downtown Houston and the girls at the bar flirting with the guys were frumpy and literally wearing Levi's jeans. You will not see that in Dallas. I feel like Dallas has an upscale advantage. Plus you have very cohesive districts to walk to, take a cab or however you want to get there without having to worry about how to get to the next place while you're drinking. Main Street District, Deep Ellum, McKinney Avenue, The Strip on Cedar Springs, Knox-Henderson, Upper Greenville Avenue, Lower Greenville Avenue, etc. You can just pick one and bar hop all night without any worry.

And yes I know that you know Dallas isn't that bland. there's different options for different tastes. Yes we've stated that Washington Avenue is similar to Greenville Avenue in Dallas, but where is the McKinney Avenue and Cedar Springs equivilant in Houston? I have never seen that when I've visited there. And yes Cedar Springs and McKinney avenue are more multi functional and vibrant than anything I've witnessed when I've been in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas