Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,539,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, that is the only possible explanation for Houston winning any poll, right? It couldn't possibly that more people here actually prefer it to Dallas.
Yes, I agree that HTownLuv and others like him on this site prefer Houston to Dallas.

When it comes to the 6 million+ people in both metros, a poll with roughly 100 participants feels a little less than scientific.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The only thing you can do in the houston AREA that you cant do up here is drive to galveston and go to a beach. Wich even that one is a stretch because Dallasites go to galveston about as much as Houstonians go(hardly ever).At least Up here you can go to a Real Water Park(we have plenty of them),a real amusement park(not fancy drawings of one),we can at least reserve a nice room at a NAMEBRAND hotel for the weekend if we have friends to entertain,At least we can hop on a train and go ALL OVER the city and suburbs to hit all the hot spots without burning a drop of gas.Speaking of trains....at least up here you can go 14 floors underground and experience THE only subway in the southwest. We dont have the ocean at our sister city's doorstep like Houston but we have some of the best lakes in the state. Can you buy a big beautiful home on galveston beach these days?....didnt think so...White rock is surrounded by beautiful homes....most of our lakes are...In DFW we get waterfront homes without the threat of the KILLER Gulf coast at our back door.You cant do that in Houston.

You can't argue with facts. Good post. Dallas is clearly superior to Houston in every way imaginable.

Can we shut down the thread now? Dallasboi just summed it all up.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,366,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Yes, I agree that HTownLuv and others like him on this site prefer Houston to Dallas.

When it comes to the 6 million+ people in both metros, a poll with roughly 100 participants feels a little less than scientific.
The poll that was public was the art museums one. I saw several other people that weren't Houstonians vote for Houston. In fact, one of the Dallas posters who's currently active in this thread did.

Of course it isn't scientific, but it would make someone question the argument that the outside perception of the Texas cities overwhelmingly favors Dallas.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The poll that was public was the art museums one. I saw several other people that weren't Houstonians vote for Houston. In fact, one of the Dallas posters who's currently active in this thread did.

Of course it isn't scientific, but it would make someone question the argument that the outside perception of the Texas cities overwhelmingly favors Dallas.

Fair enough. But my experience from most outsiders is that they tend to hate Texas unless it's Austin.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,324,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The only thing you can do in the houston AREA that you cant do up here is drive to galveston and go to a beach. Wich even that one is a stretch because Dallasites go to galveston about as much as Houstonians go(hardly ever).At least Up here you can go to a Real Water Park(we have plenty of them),a real amusement park(not fancy drawings of one),we can at least reserve a nice room at a NAMEBRAND hotel for the weekend if we have friends to entertain,At least we can hop on a train and go ALL OVER the city and suburbs to hit all the hot spots without burning a drop of gas.Speaking of trains....at least up here you can go 14 floors underground and experience THE only subway in the southwest. We dont have the ocean at our sister city's doorstep like Houston but we have some of the best lakes in the state. Can you buy a big beautiful home on galveston beach these days?....didnt think so...White rock is surrounded by beautiful homes....most of our lakes are...In DFW we get waterfront homes without the threat of the KILLER Gulf coast at our back door.You cant do that in Houston.
I think he forgets that DFW has many lakes to do boating, etc just like areas of the bay in Houston. DFW has all the major sports and Nascar. Two cultural arts districts. Fair Park, State Fair of Texas, Hills to hike (Cedar Hill State Park), 2 very nice zoos, better shopping (yes we can support more than one major shopping mall), more vibrant core neighborhoods in Dallas, vibrant downtown FW, FW Stockyards, Many very nice water parks, The original Six Flags amusement park, 3 aquariums (DWA is better than Houston's), Legoland, better nightlife, larger media presence, world class arboretum which is putting out a major expansion, world class museum of nature and science opening soon, historic trolley's running through the core of Uptown, more of a live/work/play environment in the urban core, more world class architecture....... I could go on, but I'm tired.

Houston has some more boring boxy highrises (since there aren't zoning restrictrions) a tad more asians and a bunch of hospitals and a couple hundred more people per square mile (equivilant of an apt complex or two extra). I'd say DFW sounds a bit more interesting.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM

I agree with everyting R1070 said. Here's one thing worth mentioning. Dallas, for all its faults, feels more TEXAN than Houston. Houston loves to brag about its internationalism and how it feels like New Orleans, Miami, or some other nonsense. They love their Chinatown. Dallas IS Texas. Houston is just another southern gulf city with a lot of immigrants.

Advantage: Dallas.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,471,815 times
Quote:
I agree with everyting R1070 said. Here's one thing worth mentioning. Dallas, for all its faults, feels more TEXAN than Houston. Houston loves to brag about its internationalism and how it feels like New Orleans, Miami, or some other nonsense. They love their Chinatown. Dallas IS Texas. Houston is just another southern gulf city with a lot of immigrants.

^^^^^^^THIS.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think he forgets that DFW has many lakes to do boating, etc just like areas of the bay in Houston. DFW has all the major sports and Nascar. Two cultural arts districts. Fair Park, State Fair of Texas, Hills to hike (Cedar Hill State Park), 2 very nice zoos, better shopping (yes we can support more than one major shopping mall), more vibrant core neighborhoods in Dallas, vibrant downtown FW, FW Stockyards, Many very nice water parks, The original Six Flags amusement park, 3 aquariums (DWA is better than Houston's), Legoland, better nightlife, larger media presence, world class arboretum which is putting out a major expansion, world class museum of nature and science opening soon, historic trolley's running through the core of Uptown, more of a live/work/play environment in the urban core, more world class architecture....... I could go on, but I'm tired.

Houston has some more boring boxy highrises (since there aren't zoning restrictrions) a tad more asians and a bunch of hospitals and a couple hundred more people per square mile (equivilant of an apt complex or two extra). I'd say DFW sounds a bit more interesting.
"Sounds" so, but is it so? I guess our heralded culinary scene, resident performance companies (including the Grammy, Tony, and Emmy award winning Houston Opera), world renowned art collection, museum district, etc. is just something to sneeze at. But thanks for reemphasizing that Dallas doesn't do anything that another city in the south doesn't do better.

And again, the nightlife is better in Dallas for non-blacks only (though, even that is arguable). We've covered this already.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,280,685 times
Dallas is Texas, while Houston puts the flavor in Texas.

Boil a pot of chicken by itself and it tastes bland and uninteresting...it tastes something like Dallas. But add the seasonings to it, your seasoned salt, spices, and other flavors and it makes a wonderful memorable meal that propels it to something noteworthy. That's where Houston comes in.

And R1070 and Dallasites are the only ones who claim Dallas is more vibrant and better nightlife at its core. Bullsh##t. There's Washington Ave, Montrose, Midtown/RV that are all comparable.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Whether or not that's an actual advantage depends on who you talk to. In Dallas' case, it's not, for me.

Dallas is the more ostentatious and obnoxious side of Texas. It lacks the unassuming charm of the Hill Country, or, dare I say: FORT WORTH. There's a reason why your neighbor to the west is viewed in a much more affectionate light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas