Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
OK.

If you're using city limit border to border then D/FW are only 8 miles apart.

Sorry, you're wrong. Much green space especially along Interstates 395, 97. Admittedly I-95 does have more development.

For I believe the third time, Dallas has everything inside 635 that Houston has within 610, excluding the BB and FB stadiums.

Hurricane Ike.

Thanks for the clarifacation. Still proves my point.

Again, the average visitor without charts (probably even with charts) would not notice a drastic difference in diversity between Dallas and Houston.
I would also add that the average person not from Texas would also say that the two cities are very similar in many ways putting aside landscape.

Let's face it: Lots of freeways, lots of modern high rises, lots of restaurants per capita in a very strip mall dominant lay out, both with two large airports and smaller secondary airports, both with strip mall dominant ethnic neighborhoods (LA wrote the book on that), both are very large in area....if you go to Boson, Philly, NYC, DC, 2 miles is a huge deal!....

Just giving a little perspective here....

Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I would also add that the average person not from Texas would also say that the two cities are very similar in many ways putting aside landscape.

Let's face it: Lots of freeways, lots of modern high rises, lots of restaurants per capita in a very strip mall dominant lay out, both with two large airports and smaller secondary airports, both with strip mall dominant ethnic neighborhoods (LA wrote the book on that), both are very large in area....if you go to Boson, Philly, NYC, DC, 2 miles is a huge deal!....

Just giving a little perspective here....
You're right and I appreciate your perspectives. You are an island of reason within a sea of bias.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Sorry, you're wrong. Much green space especially along Interstates 395, 97. Admittedly I-95 does have more development.

Just to clarify on DC. There is hardly any if at all greenspace alogn 395. Outside of maybe 295, 395 maybe the most built up area around a freeway in DC. Now the beltway which is 95 on the eastern half and 495 on the western half, is a different story. You wouldn't know you're in a major city even with the numerous lanes on each side until you see a building plop out amongst the trees. Especially in Maryland.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
^^You know, much of I-95 is like that from Philly down to DC. You going through plenty of large cities, but you can hardly tell in numerous places.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM

In another comparison of Dallas vs. Houston: both NFL teams again didnt accomplish much again this year!

But I will argue that our brand new 1 billion dollar 100,000+ seat capacity stadium will be a huge event magnet for years to come!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
In another comparison of Dallas vs. Houston: both NFL teams again didnt accomplish much again this year!

But I will argue that our brand new 1 billion dollar 100,000+ seat capacity stadium will be a huge event magnet for years to come!
100,000+ seating capacity? Don't you mean 70,000+ with a capacity of 100,000?

And yeah, we'll see how long the magnet will last. Not hosting anything out of the ordinary so far for a new stadium. You have a Final Four, a Super Bowl, NBA All-Star Game (I think it was dumb to put it in a big stadium like this), among other things. Should be great for the area, since Texas Stadium is a dump. It's just getting to the suburban area of Arlington. People were already complaining when it barely escaped Indy's bid for 2011 (which Indy then got the 2012 game).

Old 01-27-2009, 03:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Dallas smells like booboo

Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
100,000+ seating capacity? Don't you mean 70,000+ with a capacity of 100,000?

And yeah, we'll see how long the magnet will last. Not hosting anything out of the ordinary so far for a new stadium. You have a Final Four, a Super Bowl, NBA All-Star Game (I think it was dumb to put it in a big stadium like this), among other things. Should be great for the area, since Texas Stadium is a dump. It's just getting to the suburban area of Arlington. People were already complaining when it barely escaped Indy's bid for 2011 (which Indy then got the 2012 game).
We shall see....and the It is going to be above 100+...may end up around 115 for the Superbowl.

And you might want to add the "Pro Bowl" onto that year as well...the deal is almost done!

We'll see if it's enough to get us on the regular Superbowl schedule.
THey still need to spruce up Arlington and convince them to at least have rail for public transportation as it's the largest city in the US without public transportation.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM

No, the stadium site says 70K+ with capacity up to 100K. Your post is the first time that I've ever seen 115K for any event. Also, what's this news about the Pro Bowl? I doubt the league, no matter how nice the stadium is, would put it away from sunny climates like Florida or Hawaii from now on. I doubt players would get hyped up to go play in Arlington.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, the stadium site says 70K+ with capacity up to 100K. Your post is the first time that I've ever seen 115K for any event. Also, what's this news about the Pro Bowl? I doubt the league, no matter how nice the stadium is, would put it away from sunny climates like Florida or Hawaii from now on. I doubt players would get hyped up to go play in Arlington.
Actually the NFL commissioner in his own words wants to change up the Pro-Bowl format of Hawaii after the Superbowl. He is leaning towards having it held in the same city the week before the actual Superbowl starting with Miami in 2010. IT makes sense so the media and all the other corps do not have to move to two different places. So likely Dallas will have the Pro-Bowl in 2011. As for the 115K...that was from an old article stating they plan to increase beyond its normal capacity for the Super Bowl.

Sponsors of North Texas Super Bowl host committee are named | Super Bowl XLV News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/superbowl/stories/050608dnmetsuperbowl.ce1163b7.html - broken link)

So it includes standing room only areas as well. And it actually estimated 125, not 115...sorry...it's been awhile since I read the article. And if you read my post, I did not mention if it was standing plus seating or seating only. The 100K refers to seats, but capacity can be higher. But regardless...it's really not a huge issue whether it's 100 or 115 or 125...really...we're playing with numbers at that point b/c most stadiums do not clear 100K in the NFL world..so regardless......it's a lot of people...and that's what matters to the NFL b/c it brings ratings, it brings versatility, it brings a lot of extra economic benefit to the NFL to have a large venue.

As for the Players...they have incentives to go play in the Pro Bowl from a financial standpt. There are certain awards for both the winning and losing players. Plus, it's publicity for them and they only have to gain no matter where it is played...(as long as they dont get injured). The only thing that bothers me about this is the fact that Superbowl players will not be participating. Likely Superbowl players are full of Pro-Bowlers in any given year. So one could argue for the Pro Bowl to be held in the middle of the season rather than the week before the Super Bowl. But it is what it is...

But at the end of the day, it's the Commish's call...and at this point, it looks like Hawaii is falling out of favor and the Pro Bowl being held in the city of the Superbowl one week prior seems to be gaining all the momentum and steam whether any of us like it or not

But nevertheless...one could only predict how successful the new Texas Stadium will be 10 years out...but at least in the short term 5 years, there are a lot of good events to be held there. And if Arlington does revitalize as planned...it could be a nice venue to hold future events in the long term along with a booming Dallas and Ft. Worth to anchor and provide entertainment in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas