Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 PM

20,522 posts, read 33,579,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a major, brand new, soon-to-host-the-Super-Bowl stadium in a CBD bring a lot of business and activity to Downtown Dallas? Especially during the regular season?

I'm not an expert on these types of things, so I may be suggesting something nonsensical, but let me know.

And since when is NFL football a bad thing to finance?
Before the stadium was scheduled to be built, it was suppose to cost only 450 million, I believe. Than, when the stadium started construction, it jumped to over a billion people. Guess who has to pay for that? Not just Jerrah. Dallas got off on this one. Sure they'd rather have the Cowboys back home. But not at that price and any city would be fools to do that.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
But like Jerrah says, "its all about glitz and glitter."

Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,352,957 times
Well I would assume that Dallasites had more money to back it than Arlington. Plus, it just seems like a very valid investment.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well I would assume that Dallasites had more money to back it than Arlington. Plus, it just seems like a very valid investment.
As a region, the New Texas Stadium is a good thing. The DFW area is much stronger when operating regionally rather than as separate polarized entities like in the past. I cannot wait to see Irving transform the old stadium site and integrate with the new Orange line that will be coming through in a few years!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
The people of Arlington got screwed royally on that deal. They end up with a has been NFL team that more than likely won't even be the hosts of their own Superbowl come next year. Jerry Jones is living on Mars if he thinks his little pipe dream will ever come true under his watch.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM

You never know, I mean the Cardinals are in the Super Bowl this year... But, again, like Jerrah said, it's all about "glitz and glitter". The guy likes the drama on the Cowboys.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,720 times
Let's face it, both the Texans and the Cowboys were disappointing this year. Hopefully next year the Boys will be more focused. The Texans remind me of the Houston Astros...they dont play well in the first half, then they need to rally in the 2nd half, but oftentimes falls short. The Boys have the opposite problem, they start strong, they just dont finish strong. We need teams that resemble some form of consistency...but then again, you have the AZ Cardinals who played mediocrity football all year and are now in the Superbowl...they're an even different story than the Giants, who were playing well at the end of the regular season last year...the Cards didnt play well until the actual playoffs....

But all of us should keep in mind...it's difficult to win a Superbowl...obviously that is the goal of all teams, but it's very difficult to play 19-20 games in a season and win 3-4 straight at the end.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Back in 1995, I came from Austin to see the Longhorns play Cougar High at the Astrodome. On our way to the stadium, we saw a bum carrying a sign that said:

WILL WATCH OILERS FOR FOOD!

Lol!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 AM

Pro Bowl in Arlington, Texas, is no cinch

Pro Bowl in Arlington, Texas, is no cinch | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. — Arlington, Texas, might get the 2011 Pro Bowl. Then again, it might not.
The NFL hasn't decided on the Pro Bowl beyond the 2010 game, which will be played in Miami, and the league is in no hurry to make a decision for 2011.

Roger Staubach, the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee chairman, seems less certain than Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck about the all-star game being played at the Cowboys' new stadium the week before it hosts the 2011 Super Bowl.

Cluck said last month that he was 80 to 90 percent sure the Pro Bowl would be played in Arlington, though he admitted he had not talked to NFL officials.
Injury wise heading into the Superbowl this makes no sense as both superbowl rosters will have some pro bowl players. Also MIAMI? WTF. The Pro Bowl isn't a real game anyway. It's the NFL sending you to vacation in Hawaii for a week and because you get on the field and play a game they get to write the whole thing off. Keep it a week after the Super Bowl and keep it in Hawaii.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM

20,522 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The people of Arlington got screwed royally on that deal. They end up with a has been NFL team that more than likely won't even be the hosts of their own Superbowl come next year. Jerry Jones is living on Mars if he thinks his little pipe dream will ever come true under his watch.
Well there has never been a team that has played on it's own home field in superbowls anyway so Dallas not hosting it in their own stadium would be 45 out of 45 of a team not playing in their own stadium. But the people of Arlington did get screwed short term. Long term i think it will work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas