Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,971,801 times

Advertisements

Could have. We'll see on the capacity thing. 115,000, including standing room only, sounds right. Not 115,000 AND THEN standing room only added on.

The Pro Bowl being held in Miami this year is just a test. Plus, it's the week before the Super Bowl, which makes it even more stupid. Like the players playing in the Super Bowl really want to play in the Pro Bowl now. And the media? The media can get up and move. It's not hard. And it's not likely Dallas will have the Pro Bowl in 2011. The NFL has not said they want to do this after Miami (yet), and nothing was said about Dallas (well Arlington) at all. This is strictly just a one year test, and Hawaii will be getting the Pro Bowl back in 2011. And about the players, yeah they get incentives, but Hawaii is a big one. They are always talking about "going to Hawaii".

Now Arlington does need to revitalize. It was trying before the economic crisis, but before the meltdown really went down Glorypark and other projects were canceled (or I believe put on hold). I haven't heard a thing about mass transit in Arlington either. I personally believe the setup is dumb. Every city trying to get some type of event. Dallas should have worked harder for this stadium. No one wants to go to the suburbs. It's a reason why the MLB All-Star game won't come back to DFW.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,855,036 times
Houston may have the occasional hurricane, but Dallas and elsewhere in north Texas has ice storms.

Texas death toll stands at 6 as icy weather hits state | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/6234382.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
The official site says 80K seating capacity expandable to 100K for events like the Superbowl. I think any estimate over 100K (maybe even that estimate) is including the people outside in the endzone plazas... which are supposed to have a view of the game and jumbotrons. I wonder if they will count those as official attendance for the game.

Dallas Cowboys New Stadium

Currently, the largest attendance ever at a football game in Texas is 98,621. Should be interesting to see when the new Cowboy's stadium surpasses that number. That's a big number for an NFL team, but it's been done before.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Don't the Redskins get nearly 90,000 at FedEx Field every home game? Oh, and this stadium won't be the last stadium to have an all around capacity of 100,000. There will be others in the future. Stadiums are always outdone by another. The stadium in Arlington is still nice.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Don't the Redskins get nearly 90,000 at FedEx Field every home game? Oh, and this stadium won't be the last stadium to have an all around capacity of 100,000. There will be others in the future. Stadiums are always outdone by another. The stadium in Arlington is still nice.
Oh, it's more than nice! I'm especially liking the 365-day open thing. Even if you never have the scratch to get in on game day, you can at least go and eat at one of the sports bars and "experience" the stadium.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

The stadium in Arlington is still nice.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,358,239 times
I wanna start a war: if Dallas is so nice, how come they don't build a stadium in the city like everyone else?! A downtown football stadium would have been exciting.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I wanna start a war: if Dallas is so nice, how come they don't build a stadium in the city like everyone else?! A downtown football stadium would have been exciting.
Because the citizens of Dallas aren't big enough suckers to finance half of this monstrosity unlike the utopian society known as Arlington. Dallas has more important things to do like actually develop a more liveable, walkable, denser, transit-oriented city unlike Arlington. Here's a fun article to read.

Questions over stadium deal with Arlington | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080201_lj_cowboysstadium.7f627350.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM

609 posts, read 2,923,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Could have. We'll see on the capacity thing. 115,000, including standing room only, sounds right. Not 115,000 AND THEN standing room only added on.

The Pro Bowl being held in Miami this year is just a test. Plus, it's the week before the Super Bowl, which makes it even more stupid. Like the players playing in the Super Bowl really want to play in the Pro Bowl now. And the media? The media can get up and move. It's not hard. And it's not likely Dallas will have the Pro Bowl in 2011. The NFL has not said they want to do this after Miami (yet), and nothing was said about Dallas (well Arlington) at all. This is strictly just a one year test, and Hawaii will be getting the Pro Bowl back in 2011. And about the players, yeah they get incentives, but Hawaii is a big one. They are always talking about "going to Hawaii".

Now Arlington does need to revitalize. It was trying before the economic crisis, but before the meltdown really went down Glorypark and other projects were canceled (or I believe put on hold). I haven't heard a thing about mass transit in Arlington either. I personally believe the setup is dumb. Every city trying to get some type of event. Dallas should have worked harder for this stadium. No one wants to go to the suburbs. It's a reason why the MLB All-Star game won't come back to DFW.
The NFL Commish stated that the Superbowl players will not be part of the Pro Bowl...that's the plan thus far. And I have inside sources on Dallas and the Pro Bowl for 2011. As for Hawaii...yeah it's nice...but it's not like they cannot afford to go anytime they want. And the 125K refers to standing room only plus seats as I stated in my previous post.
Regardless...this is a big deal for the state of Texas. And the prospects of the Pro Bowl and Superbowl here in the same year in the state of Texas is a good thing regardless if you're pro houston or pro dallas.
But again, I am agreement with you on the stupidity of having it the week before the superbowl...if anything they should do it mid season...or keep it the way it was...but the main complaint a/b the status quo is the anti-climatic nature of the Pro Bowl. Most "all star" situations occur midway through the season.
As for Arlington, I'm not the biggest fan of where the stadium is...but then again, I'm not a big fan of public financing of stadiums either unless if the public desires so...it just so happens that the City of Irving and Dallas both felt that they can spend their money for other uses and get just as much economic benefit. www.crossroadsdfw.org
Arlington was the only suburb willing to put up the dough to build the stadium. As for Glorypark, it's on hold. Hopefully the economy will recover more quickly in Texas so both the DFW area and Houston can again continue their construction boom.

My biggest gripe with Arlington is the lack of public transportation. As the 48th largest city in the US, it's sad that they did not join DART or Ft. Worth's system or the TRE. It would have been nice if Arlington had rail service to their stadium/6 flags area.

Now as for the concept of suburban stadiums...it's not unheard of: New York Giants/Jets, current Cowboys, Boston's New England Patriots, etc. etc etc.
The thing Arlington needs to do is improve infrastructure. It's horrible compared to Irving or Dallas or Ft. Worth for that matter.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,358,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Because the citizens of Dallas aren't big enough suckers to finance half of this monstrosity unlike the utopian society known as Arlington. Dallas has more important things to do like actually develop a more liveable, walkable, denser, transit-oriented city unlike Arlington. Here's a fun article to read.

Questions over stadium deal with Arlington | Latest News | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080201_lj_cowboysstadium.7f627350.html - broken link)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a major, brand new, soon-to-host-the-Super-Bowl stadium in a CBD bring a lot of business and activity to Downtown Dallas? Especially during the regular season?

I'm not an expert on these types of things, so I may be suggesting something nonsensical, but let me know.

And since when is NFL football a bad thing to finance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas