Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,585,430 times

Advertisements

You know what they say: "a first impression is a lasting one." I don't think it has much to do with knowing the neighborhoods. My first real visit to Houston before relocating, I was thrilled.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,614,607 times
Well I think people need to explore a city before making their final judgement on a city. If you go to Chicago for the first time and all you see is nothing but the ghetto areas around the westside of Chicago, you'd think the entire city is ghetto and you get the hell out of there and try never to go back when in reality, you're making yourself look ignorant. Same with DC. If your first trip to DC is south and east of capital street and you think the entire city is like that, you have not explored Washington DC. I can go on and on about every city in the US. Point is, there are great neighborhoods in Dallas that he probably did not explore. People that only drive on the interstate (not saying the poster is one of those people) say they've been to the city, but they don't know the city.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 PM

609 posts, read 2,923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I think people need to explore a city before making their final judgement on a city. If you go to Chicago for the first time and all you see is nothing but the ghetto areas around the westside of Chicago, you'd think the entire city is ghetto and you get the hell out of there and try never to go back when in reality, you're making yourself look ignorant. Same with DC. If your first trip to DC is south and east of capital street and you think the entire city is like that, you have not explored Washington DC. I can go on and on about every city in the US. Point is, there are great neighborhoods in Dallas that he probably did not explore. People that only drive on the interstate (not saying the poster is one of those people) say they've been to the city, but they don't know the city.
I do agree first impressions are among the most important things in anything...jobs, marketing, etc. I'm sure if your first visit to Houston, you were along sections of I-45, and just happen to do business along the section that is not so nice, and you just stay in that area, you would feel the same way a/b Houston.

I can tell you that my first impression of Houston was actually not all that great...but it was after exploring the city more that I found it to be a nice place (though I like Dallas better obviously). Whereas my first impressions of Dallas were great...

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM

2,931 posts, read 5,280,685 times
Believe me, there are alot of people who bash Houston based on a first impression. They probably only saw a ghetto area in Houston and classified the whole place as ugly. Dallas people need to quit getting so defensive because one person didn't think it was "all that". Houston people get the crap bashed out of them all the time from media and outsiders. Dallas isn't exempt. Do you think Dallas is really perfect? Just let it go and Move on .

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-20-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,425,855 times
My mom goes to UTA, and even they were bashing Houston once they (Arlington) got the Super Bowl. They said people hated it when it was in Houston because of the half time show. How can you hate the city for a half time show? The city didn't put that show on. A lot of people here also forgot that Houston has hosted it twice. The news media kept saying "we finally get to showcase Texas to the world". What the hell?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 AM

[quote=C2H (ComingtoHouston);1107834]Believe me, there are alot of people who bash Houston based on a first impression. They probably only saw a ghetto area in Houston and classified the whole place as ugly. Dallas people need to quit getting so defensive because one person didn't think it was "all that". Houston people get the crap bashed out of them all the time from media and outsiders. Dallas isn't exempt. Do you think Dallas is really perfect? Just let it go and Move on .[/QU

I never said Dallas wasnt exempt. I believe in previous posts that you may or may not have read that I mentioned certain suburbs in Dallas that if I first moved to town, I would think Dallas is the ugliest and most ghetto place in Texas. I really try to be objective in all this as much as possible...this was not meant to be an attack on Houston, or resurrect the Dallas vs. Houston talking smack debate...as I have pointed out ugly parts of Dallas also, but merely to try to describe the behavior of the lay consumer (tourist, or whatever you want to call it) on average based not on science, but mere observation over time.

And if you look at my previous posts, you can see my comments a/b St. Louis as well. I merely made an observation and if anything paid compliments to Houston. I do think first impressions as another has said are very important..but at the same time, I do believe both Dallas and Houston have neighborhoods that would and could change people's opinions, or first impressions. I can say that outside of Texas that people generally have their pre-conceptions a/b Texas and its cities...so it's interesting b/c going in with a certain attitude could predispose to look for negatives vs. positives....it introduces bias into the equation.

It's the classic half glass full vs. half glass empty argument.

I would like to believe that I've been to enough cities around the world now to not rely on my first impressions, but again sometimes I spend little time in cities. Example would be my upcoming trip to Miami which will only be a short 36 hr. stay...though been there before. Cities in general just fascinate me..to the point where I sound real nerdy when quoting statistics a/b far away places that do not pertain to me...but I do enjoy seeing what all cities large and small have to offer...it could be Tyler, TX to as large as Hong Kong; that's why pretty much every where I go I do rent a car and drive around (though gas is getting a bit high nowadays...but it's definitely fun) b/c it's fun to just explore.

Another example is Orlando...most people think of Orlando as Disney World and for those who like shopping "outlet shoppin"...but to those who actually bothered to explore Orlando, it's more than just Disney World...it's a legit city with some neat neighborhoods...they have nice little asian fusion district, Winter Park is nice, their downtown area has some neat things to see and do as well....actually enjoyed driving around.

Anyway, food for thought, nothing else...and really, not trying to offend anyone here or be on the defensive here either.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,474,151 times
Dallas is no Los Angeles, although it builds like it. My favorite drive in the world is going down Santa Monica or Wilshire from Hollywood to Santa Monica--much better than Las Vegas Blvd. Does Dallas or Houston have anything similar to that? Every time I go west, I must stop by Los Angeles first to make that drive from Hollywood to the sea and THEN go to Las Vegas to see the rest of the family.

Houston has abandoned the L.A. sprawl look within the last 5 years and focused on the Chicago/New York density look. Now only if we could move the buildings out of Greenway Plaza, Galleria Area, Westchase, and especially the Energy Corridor into DT Houston; add an 'L' train loop AND the spoke-and-hub commuter railway system; and put shopping along Main Street.

Last edited by KerrTown; 07-21-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: ^anything^

Old 07-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Dallas is no Los Angeles, although it builds like it. My favorite drive in the world is going down Santa Monica or Wilshire from Hollywood to Santa Monica--much better than Las Vegas Blvd. Does Dallas or Houston have anything similar to that? Every time I go west, I must stop by Los Angeles first to make that drive from Hollywood to the sea and THEN go to Las Vegas to see the rest of the family.

Houston has abandoned the L.A. sprawl look within the last 5 years and focused on the Chicago/New York density look. Now only if we could move the buildings out of Greenway Plaza, Galleria Area, Westchase, and especially the Energy Corridor into DT Houston; add an 'L' train loop AND the spoke-and-hub commuter railway system; and put shopping along Main Street.
That's a lot of things for your wishlist.

Yeah, just did the Santa Monica drive from Hollywood to Santa Monica last month again...but mainly b/c I actually had some freetime on my hand to do so. Robertson area, and going down Beverly is interesting too. I actually do like LA a lot. I know the word "LA' does draw strong reactions on both sides...both positive and negatives, but overall, I do like it.

As for Houston and Dallas, I think both cities are focusing on revitalizing their urban cores. We've already heard a/b Dallas' DT, Arts District, and Victory Park developments. And WE've already heard a/b the Houston developments..please refer back to all previous posts. Both cities are expanding their rail system also...we've heard that Houston is adding 2+ lines, we've heard that Dallas is more than doubling the size of their rail lines with 3 new lines plus one from Ft. Worth.

So I agree, that Houston is in the process of revitalizing the urban core, and is ahead of DFW on that, but DFW is also now revitalizing their urban core as well.

But both cities do have their share of sprawling suburbs.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,425,855 times
Dallas has three lines? I thought they were just adding two, the Orange/Green Line (which will run together for most if its route).

Everything else is Denton County or Fort Worth.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas has three lines? I thought they were just adding two, the Orange/Green Line (which will run together for most if its route).

Everything else is Denton County or Fort Worth.
I believe the Cotton Belt is the 3rd line. That's just a commuter line, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas