Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,225,875 times

Advertisements

BTW, I like Nolan Ryan (although not really a baseball fan) -- he was sitting unpretentiously in the seat in front of us on Southwest Airlines from Hobby to Love Field. My friend just stuck a cocktail napkin between the seat and he signed it! Not even a word, we just kind of bowed our heads at him when he got off the plane.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,428,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You can't fool me, I lived in Houston and yes most of the time there is no breeze at all (just thick humid air you can cut with a knife) but when there is the rare breeze, you can smell the refineries. After all, the breeze comes from the bay, right?

But what you can't smell may also kill you.
Nah, the breeze comes from the northwest. I don't know why though. People say that is also a region why the Northern and Western suburbs grow the fastest, in almost any city. I lived in West Houston, and when I would play basketball outside, or toss the football with some friends, there was a slight breeze outside.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatwopugs View Post
Ok, Dallas and Houston-if you must know what suburb I live in-it's Arlington which by the way will be home soon to the new Cowboy Stadium and Superbowl in 2012! So now we have Ameriquest Field (Ballpark Arlington), but I'd rather call it Texas Ranger/Nolan Ryan Ballpark. If it wasn't for Nolan Ryan-it wouldn't be there. and now we will home of the Cowboys. But yet, my heart lies in Fort Worth!
It is true that all cities have their run down parts, however I do like the Woodlands area. And as for Dallas-I haven't found that area that truly fits my style, except for maybe, Addisson. My grand sone plays hockey there and I do like what I have seen of it.
Dallas was ok for JR Ewing and Houston was ok for Bush, but give me Ft. Worth anyday!
I hate Arlington, even after living here since January. It just has no substance to it.

Oh, and I thought JR lived in Murphy, but only worked in Downtown Dallas on the weekdays? I wonder if he road DART .

Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,225,875 times
No wonder you hate this area if you live in Arlington! No offense mama!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Just about everyone I know at school hates Arlington as well. They all want to move back to either Fort Worth, Dallas, or Houston.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,588,219 times
Quote:
You can't fool me, I lived in Houston and yes most of the time there is no breeze at all (just thick humid air you can cut with a knife) but when there is the rare breeze, you can smell the refineries. After all, the breeze comes from the bay, right?

Liar. You can't smell it at all in most of the city. Especially in the west half.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM

609 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Quote:
Ok, Dallas and Houston-if you must know what suburb I live in-it's Arlington which by the way will be home soon to the new Cowboy Stadium and Superbowl in 2012! So now we have Ameriquest Field (Ballpark Arlington), but I'd rather call it Texas Ranger/Nolan Ryan Ballpark. If it wasn't for Nolan Ryan-it wouldn't be there. and now we will home of the Cowboys. But yet, my heart lies in Fort Worth!
It is true that all cities have their run down parts, however I do like the Woodlands area. And as for Dallas-I haven't found that area that truly fits my style, except for maybe, Addisson. My grand sone plays hockey there and I do like what I have seen of it.
Dallas was ok for JR Ewing and Houston was ok for Bush, but give me Ft. Worth anyday!
I believe it's the 2011 Superbowl

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Just about everyone I know at school hates Arlington as well. They all want to move back to either Fort Worth, Dallas, or Houston.
Well, I actually mapped out south arlington a few weeks ago. Not impressed. Definitely a place that I would wait for awhile first to see if it really is up and coming vs. other sure bets. I hope their big revitalization plans turns things around, b/c Arlington reminds me of Irving south of Northgate or Garland.

I can see how you do not like the area given the fact that you are in Arlington...but you can always live in H.E.B. or LC or Grapevine and commute 30 min...which is nothing for either DFW or Houston.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:15 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,282,840 times
Quote:

This statment is so false i almost fell out of my chair in laughter. Rarely can you smell the refineries unless you live out toward Pasadena. They have cleaned that air in that area immensely and there's a proposal to lower the octane levels from the refineries even further.

And Houston definitely has breeze. It's only dreadfully humid about 3 months out of the year, at the most 4. Houston has the most pleasant winters where you don't have to suffer the feet of the brutal cold and ice storms that Dallas gets.

Quote:
Houston is run down
Houston definitely looks run down off parts of I-45 and out on the east part of town. That's not all of Houston though. Downtown Houston has poured alot of money into it. Also travel out throughout the prime spots in Houston such as Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, Uptown Galleria area, Meyerland, and West Houston. Mostly everything looks brand spankin' new and clean traveling out that area.

That's just like saying that Dallas is run down. I think Dallas is very ugly south of downtown. They have some of the hardest looking ghettos in South Dallas and if you look on a map, South Dallas takes up over half the city's area. On the other hand, I will give Dallas credit though, they do a better job making sure the ghettos don't overlap into the main parts of the city.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-10-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
This statment is so false i almost fell out of my chair in laughter. Rarely can you smell the refineries unless you live out toward Pasadena. They have cleaned that air in that area immensely and there's a proposal to lower the octane levels from the refineries even further.

And Houston definitely has breeze. It's only dreadfully humid about 3 months out of the year, at the most 4. Houston has the most pleasant winters where you don't have to suffer the feet of the brutal cold and ice storms that Dallas gets.

Houston definitely looks run down off parts of I-45 and out on the east part of town. That's not all of Houston though. Downtown Houston has poured alot of money into it. Also travel out throughout the prime spots in Houston such as Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, Uptown Galleria area, Meyerland, and West Houston. Mostly everything looks brand spankin' new and clean traveling out that area.

That's just like saying that Dallas is run down because. I think Dallas is very ugly south of downtown. They have some of the hardest looking ghettos in South Dallas and if you look on a map, South Dallas takes up over half the city's area. On the other hand, I will give Dallas credit though, they do a better job making sure the ghetto overlap into the main parts of the city.
Both cities have a lot of their run downed portions along I-45. I agree, South Dallas is not a safe place to be at times...I think you can make that argument for pretty much every major city in the US....though I think Dallas relatively segregates off their bad areas with freeways being boundaries...vs. a place like Detroit where one block is nice, one block is ghetto...St. Louis is similar to Detroit in that way as well.
But all cities have their moments...I can definitely pinpoint out areas in our nation's capital that I would definitely avoid. Just outside of Chinatown (which by the way is not really a Chinatown anymore in DC), you can see it turn shady rather quickly.
Oakland at times is not the safest place in the US either. East. St. Louis definitely has its moments. Bronx in NYC has developed a nice reputation for itself.

I could list pretty much all cities including smaller cities such as the Quad Cities in IA/IL, or Ft. Bend, IN, or Sioux City, IA, or Kansas City, KS, but we can play that game forever and ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas