Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 PM

609 posts, read 2,923,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang85 View Post
How many times do i have to tell you, Dallas is bigger, better, and a better place to live than houston. Houston will be underwater in a couple years anyway.
Depends on how you define it.

DFW is bigger by multiple measures:
4th largest metropolitan area in the US. Only NYC, LA, and Chicago have more people in their respective metropolitan areas.

I prefer urbanized areas..b/c that's what you typically think of...this includes al connected cities with excluding rural areas of outlying counties.

Dallas/Ft. Worth drops down to #6 in UA ranking: NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, and Miami are larger in terms of UA. UA is more realistic b/c it's a continguous area of higher population. Houston is #10 in this ranking. Using this system, they have roughly equal population densities (Houston and Dallas that is)...to the Houston people who will use the density argument.

Houston is bigger in terms of city proper:
Houston is #4
Dallas is #9
However, using city proper statistics, Dallas is more dense than Houston by roughly 100 people per sq. mile.
Keep in mind Dallas is only 385 sq miles vs. Houston's 601 sq miles.

I do not favor the use of city proper b/c of the way American culture is in terms of its suburbs.
OTherwise, we can play the game that Louisville, Kentucky is just as big as Atlanta, or San Antonio Texas is a major US city when it drops down to near 30 in metropolitan rankings, or Omaha, NE is much bigger than St. Louis, MO, despite the fact St. Louis' metro and UA area has 2 million more people.
Back in the 20th century, people fled the urban core in favor of the suburbs, but culturally are tied to the central city.

That's why we even have the Dallas vs. Houston debate instead of Houston vs. San Antonio debate. San Antonio is just a different league of cities that should be compared to a Kansas City or a Buffalo, NY. So UA and Metropolitan area is reflective.

And this is evidence in the airport sizes as well. Houston's airport is much bigger than San Antonio's 30 gates...same with Dallas' airports.

Anyway, so Dallas vs. Houston....DFW wins on certain measures such as Metropolitan area and urbanized area, but loses on city proper...but keep in mind its area is 385 sq. miles with higher density compared to Houston's 601 sq. miles with slightly lower density...meaning, if Dallas were to annex the same radius from its center as Houston, it may actually have more people...but we'll never know b/c that would be hard to prove unless someone starts adding up the population of individual zip codes.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
And Dallas is only bigger with the help up Fort Worth, Arlington, Grand Prarie, Irving, Plano, Frisco, Carrolton, and etc.
No, Dallas is only bigger with the help of Fort Worth. Fort Worth creates its own suburb and grew into Dallas. Houston grew by itself.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
And the thread continues...

Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
^^You can't control what the thread do....it has a mind of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Depends on how you define it.

DFW is bigger by multiple measures:
4th largest metropolitan area in the US. Only NYC, LA, and Chicago have more people in their respective metropolitan areas.
Using CSA's, I believe DFW drops out of the Top 5.

Quote:
I prefer urbanized areas..b/c that's what you typically think of...this includes al connected cities with excluding rural areas of outlying counties.

Dallas/Ft. Worth drops down to #6 in UA ranking: NY, LA, Chicago, Philly, and Miami are larger in terms of UA. UA is more realistic b/c it's a continguous area of higher population. Houston is #10 in this ranking. Using this system, they have roughly equal population densities (Houston and Dallas that is)...to the Houston people who will use the density argument.
Yep, and DFW is only about 200K bigger than Houston using UA.

Quote:
Houston is bigger in terms of city proper:
Houston is #4
Dallas is #9
However, using city proper statistics, Dallas is more dense than Houston by roughly 100 people per sq. mile.
Keep in mind Dallas is only 385 sq miles vs. Houston's 601 sq miles.
Actually, Houston has more than 200 people per square mile than Dallas using city limits.

Quote:
Anyway, so Dallas vs. Houston....DFW wins on certain measures such as Metropolitan area and urbanized area, but loses on city proper...but keep in mind its area is 385 sq. miles with higher density compared to Houston's 601 sq. miles with slightly lower density...meaning, if Dallas were to annex the same radius from its center as Houston, it may actually have more people...but we'll never know b/c that would be hard to prove unless someone starts adding up the population of individual zip codes.
Again, Houston's city limits, as of 2007, actually has higher density than Dallas city limits, despite having more land in its city limits.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, Dallas is only bigger with the help of Fort Worth. Fort Worth creates its own suburb and grew into Dallas. Houston grew by itself.
I would say that even the Fort Worth suburbs are a result of it being close to Dallas moreso than Ft. Worth. Arlington and HEB especially. But yeah, Dallas does get it's help from Fort Worth. But disagree saying it gets help from Fort Worth and its suburbs.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,382,358 times
Quote:
Houston had its own Ft Worth; but annexed it.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,465,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and Dallas will be destroyed by a tornado
No it's an Earthquake! And like California, the further away from the coast the hotter and more unbearable it is.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Houston had its own Ft Worth; but annexed it.
I'm afraid I didn't quite get that one...

Houston's "Fort Worth" would be Galveston Island which is still its own city.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,382,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
No it's an Earthquake! And like California, the further away from the coast the hotter and more unbearable it is.
Not exactly like California's Malibu to San Bernadino temp difference. So, in August while Dallas is 100 with 52% humidity; Houston is 97 with 86% humidity. I'll take Dallas' 100 anyday over a Houston 97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'm afraid I didn't quite get that one...

Houston's "Fort Worth" would be Galveston Island which is still its own city.
City of Houston over 600 sq land miles; Dallas 342.

Catch up.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM

609 posts, read 2,923,021 times
Quote:
I think we need to look and compare these respective UA's, CSA's, or MSA's as a whole....aka DFW vs. Greater Houston/Bay Area. (In many cases, the city proper does not paint the whole picture of an area...see Omaha vs. St. Louis or Louisville vs. Atlanta examples). I do not think it's a bad thing that Ft. Worth and Dallas have melded...it's an added plus..not a negative. Look at Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle/Tacoma, Kansas City KS and MO, or the best is the Bay Area (San Fran, San Jose, and Oakland). The region does make a difference. These places have all tried their best to work together as they are much stronger for it. I think having both cities adds to the culture of the overall metroplex as Ft. Worth offers a more Western/cultural perspective whereas Dallas offers a more urban/commercialization/retail/restauarant perspective. And it's an added plus that we do have well runned successfully large suburbs as well. These cities recognized that infighting will not get them anywhere. That's why DFW airport was born in the 1970's as they recognized the need for a more regional approach to be able to compete with the other metropolitan areas of the time that were regionalizing and becoming stronger as a result.

Just because Greater Houston has a stand alone city with surrounding burbs does not make it necessarily superior just because it's a stand alone city.

The CSA of the Bay Area in California has so many unique areas that are not part of San Fran proper and it's surrounding areas...such as Napa, Berkeley, East Bay, which one could argue is more populated and its principle metro region is Oakland.

Anyway, it's food for thought...that's why we have this debate...
I'm just happy Texas continues to lead the way in the nation's job growth...23,000 jobs in Oct, 7500 jobs in Nov. We've been the least hit by the economy due to the DIVERSE economic engine of the DFW and Greater Houston areas.
It'll hit us, but much delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas