Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Public transit wouldn't be as successful in NYC without BRT. The subway system is world-class, but some stations are far apart and people use the buses to get to them.
I don't think NYC has a BRT system though. I mean, they have buses, but they don't run in their own dedicated lane (which is what BRT is).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I don't think NYC has a BRT system though. I mean, they have buses, but they don't run in their own dedicated lane (which is what BRT is).
Well without their bus system

Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Public transit wouldn't be as successful in NYC without BRT. The subway system is world-class, but some stations are far apart and people use the buses to get to them.
Emphasis on some because there are times where there are stations at every corner. NYC's mass transit system is successful because it's extensive and there are many tracks allowing it to run 24 hours unlike every other transit system in the country.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Emphasis on some because there are times where there are stations at every corner. NYC's mass transit system is successful because it's extensive and there are many tracks allowing it to run 24 hours unlike every other transit system in the country.
I'm speaking about when the stations are spread out like in Queens or the Brooklyn.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,952 times
Quote:
METRO's ridership continues to increase, no matter what the ridership is.
Huh?

Quote:
Amazing that this little 7.5 mile lines continues to increase, with almost no help from other light rail lines (yet).
No, what's amazing is the 4th largest city in the U.S. just opened it's first light rail line in 2004 and only has a 7.5 mile stretch.

The current ridership totals are not really that impressive considering Houston's large population and the area the rail serves is high density, with a university campus, central business district, large medical complex and a stadium.

Quote:
If you want to use that 70,000 number for DART, I'll use METRO's 45,000 number (which was a couple of months ago, so it has likely risen since then).
Add the TRE ridership to Dallas' total making it 81,000.

Quote:
I got my information on the stalling from here: Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum - DART Orange Line
The dallasnews.com article only states "DART says rising costs could delay future rail expansion"; which is not a shocker and I would actually like to see a more scaled back expansion model to allow the mixed use developments under construction and rail usage to catch up with the current amount of rail mileage. A good move would be to postpone the construction of the second downtown line and divert those resources towards the Orange Line connecting DFW -> Las Colinas -> old Texas Stadium redevelopment site -> Love.

BTW... President-Elect Obama ran on a campaign platform that included infastructure improvement and development. DART's statements in the article sound to me like they're maneuvering for the front of the line for Federal fund handouts.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Huh?
I meant to say mileage. You know that.

Quote:
No, what's amazing is the 4th largest city in the U.S. just opened it's first light rail line in 2004 and only has a 7.5 mile stretch.
Fourth largest city, yes, but it was only the seventh largest metro at the time (now it is the sixth largest metro area). You have to start somewhere.

Quote:
The current ridership totals are not really that impressive considering Houston's large population and the area the rail serves is high density, with a university campus, central business district, large medical complex and a stadium.
You serious? The ridership is not impressive?? Yeah right. 45,000 a day, for just a four year line is plenty impressive. Plus, it's only 7.5 miles. There is no stretch of rail in DART with this high of ridership.

Quote:
Add the TRE ridership to Dallas' total making it 81,000.
Though not rail, Houston's Park and Ride System is very much like a commuter rail system. DART does not have this. The I-10W Park and Ride system alone has more bus riders than the TRE. METRO operates the P&R as its commuter system (for now) until commuter rail is built in the coming years in various directions.

Quote:
The dallasnews.com article only states "DART says rising costs could delay future rail expansion"; which is not a shocker and I would actually like to see a more scaled back expansion model to allow the mixed use developments under construction and rail usage to catch up with the current amount of rail mileage. A good move would be to postpone the construction of the second downtown line and divert those resources towards the Orange Line connecting DFW -> Las Colinas -> old Texas Stadium redevelopment site -> Love.
That's what needs to happen, but you don't want to overload the current Downtown Transit Mall.

Quote:
BTW... President-Elect Obama ran on a campaign platform that included infastructure improvement and development. DART's statements in the article sound to me like they're maneuvering for the front of the line for Federal fund handouts.
Don't be surprised to see METRO do the same. Right now, I believe only the North/Blue, University/Orange, and Southeast/Green lines are getting Federal Funding. METRO is paying for the East End/Brown and Uptown/Pink lines.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm speaking about when the stations are spread out like in Queens or the Brooklyn.
That's where I figured what you was talking about. Just about all subway stations are like this throughout the nation. The stations are more spread out when you get out of the CBD area. DC is the same way.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's where I figured what you was talking about. Just about all subway stations are like this throughout the nation. The stations are more spread out when you get out of the CBD area. DC is the same way.
That is why I said the buses are very useful, even though people still walk long distances to them.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,847 times
45,000 riders/day on one single (and relatively new) 7.5 mile starter line of LRT anywhere in Houston is impressive in the context of comparisons w/ DART, SD, Denver, Portland, etc.

Where there's heavy rail in cities like NYC or Boston or the Bay Area, a bus is nice of it's there when you are, or if you see one coming, but if it's not (which is most of the time) people just walk it to/from a station. <20 or 30 mins. by foot, no big deal.

Last edited by ctrres; 12-20-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
That is why I said the buses are very useful, even though people still walk long distances to them.
Yeah but here's the thing. I don't think New Yorkers care about buses much. Because they fight the same traffic cars fight. So they'd rather walk and NYC is a great walkable city and the stations relatively are really not that far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas