Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 AM

725 posts, read 1,242,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I did forget Stavanger. Forgive me for that one.

Yes you are correct regarding DFW-Beijing. The slots have been requested and approved by the US government. They are still waiting on the Chinese government.

I dont disagree with most of what youre saying. I like the stats to speak for themselves. In 2013:

International O&D:
IAH: 4.1 million annual passengers
DFW: 2.9 million annual passengers

FYI, Austin and San Antonio are in the 500-600k range.

Domestic O&D:
DFW and DAL: 25 million annual passengers
IAH and HOU: 17.5 million annual passengers

Never once did I imply that DFW was more international than IAH, but it certainly isnt a regional hub. No way, no how. An example of regional hubs would be Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Charlotte, and Denver. Their global portfolios as well as their international O&D's are far smaller than DFW and IAH.

BTW, DFW has 13 international airlines. Thats not as many as IAH, but its more than cities like Seattle, Atlanta, and Philadelphia. Its not exactly as if were left without choices.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to rebut that point, I am only making the case that the differences are a bit larger than most people realize internationally and a bit smaller domestically, and that's more or less due to the inherent market strengths that IAH (international demand) and DFW (domestic demand, connectivity due to location) have.

And you are correct. I left WestJet out as they are seasonal but they should count.

Last edited by majicdonjuan; 10-22-2014 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,570,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
BTW there's a new Skyhouse planned for the Oak Lawn section of Dallas.
yep, i called out boi about that "cookie cutter" addition the other day.. he never replied. congrats on getting a second skyhouse. you now join the ranks of Charlotte, NC.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,513,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
yep, i called out boi about that "cookie cutter" addition the other day.. he never replied. congrats on getting a second skyhouse. you now join the ranks of Charlotte, NC.
I wonder if anybody is going to start a petition to stop construction of that second Skyhouse in Dallas ?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:42 AM

6,711 posts, read 9,966,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I wonder if anybody is going to start a petition to stop construction of that second Skyhouse in Dallas ?
Why would anybody do that?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes Dallas is on fire...how could you doubt this...we are just not the type of city that's eager to throw up the same building two or three times..(like Houston)...thats the stuff they do in China. Im Glad we are not getting another one.....and especially not a block away from the same cookie cutter building...BUILD BUILD BUILD Houston.......just throw up the same building, no one will notice

Who cares if its the same....as long as were building something it doesnt matter.

..Architecture????....oh we never care about that...Just build the same building... everything looks the same around here anyway...
http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/96740...ng_skyline.jpg

...ok...I was a little sarcastic but you get the point.
Quote:
Did "Houston" ask them to build 3 of these buildings ?
Quote:
I hope not!!!!!...I just responded because Dallas is not on fire because were not building 3 of the same buildings a block from each other like Houston.......well at least that's what Texas Tallest thinks.
Quote:
So if this builder wanted to build a second Sky house in Dallas, "Dallas" would say no ?
Quote:
I hoping we wouldn't allow it. The value of the land is to expensive to waste it on two of the same cheap buildings....One is enuff!!......But I really Don't know..
Look above ^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why would anybody do that?
It's sarcasm ...This is the exchange I was referring too it happened about a month ago. (most of the bold print is my doing)

Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,474,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
With respect to your question, there is no counterpart to the TMC, not in TX nor the entire US, and arguably not in the entire world.

There are individual institutions elsewhere that are on par with the best hospitals in the TMC, but the TMC easily offers the most high-quality medical institutions in one place anywhere in the country.

I really wouldn't even know who would be second in the country, because it's that big of a gap.
With all due respect, the TMC is the largest medical area in the country, but it's likely not the most prestigious...and it could be argued it's not even close. While MD Anderson is a fantastic hospital (and an incredible institution for cancer), TMC as a whole falls well short when compared to Longwood Medical Area in Boston.

Longwood is home to Brigham and Women's, Children's Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Center, Beth Israel Deaconesss, and Joslin Diabetes Center, among others. It's also home to Harvard Medical School and the collaborative Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering. While there's no doubt TMC is huge and has tons of patients, beds, etc. it doesn't quite measure up to Longwood from a power & prestige standpoint...and that's only comparing the Longwood area of Boston and doesn't include the behemoth that is Mass General or other highly respected institutions like Mass Ear & Eye, Spaulding Rehab, or the medical areas of Boston University and Suffolk.

To put it in numbers, let's look at NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding, which grants medical research money across the nation. Boston has led funding for the past two decades, with Boston/Cambridge receiving a nearly twice as much as the #2 city, New York. If we choose to simply focus on the major aforementioned institutions in Longwood, we come to just over $1 billion awarded last year (funding is relatively consistent). Not only does that more than double all of Houston, which received just over $450 million, but it comfortably beats all of Texas, which received just over $950 million.

If we were to look at the two largest receiving institutions of each area, they would be Harvard Medical School & Brigham and Women's in Longwood and Baylor College of Medicine & UT MD Anderson in Houston. In 2013, Baylor racked in an impressive $186 million in grants with Anderson taking in nearly $131 million. Comparatively Harvard Medical School brought in $301 million and Brigham and Women's brought in $316 million. However to really get an impression of the collection of institutions, we should look at what comes after that. For Houston it's the UT Health & Science Center ($79M), the University of Houston ($15M), and Methodist Hostpital Research Institute ($12M). For Longwood, it's Children's Hospital Boston ($127M), Beth Israel Deaconess ($119M) and Dana Farber ($116M).

There's no doubt that the TMC is a great medical center. It has a bright future and it's absolutely gigantic...but it's still far behind the likes of Longwood and, as a whole, the Greater Boston Area.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
With all due respect, the TMC is the largest medical area in the country, but it's likely not the most prestigious...and it could be argued it's not even close. While MD Anderson is a fantastic hospital (and an incredible institution for cancer), TMC as a whole falls well short when compared to Longwood Medical Area in Boston.

Longwood is home to Brigham and Women's, Children's Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Center, Beth Israel Deaconesss, and Joslin Diabetes Center, among others. It's also home to Harvard Medical School and the collaborative Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering. While there's no doubt TMC is huge and has tons of patients, beds, etc. it doesn't quite measure up to Longwood from a power & prestige standpoint...and that's only comparing the Longwood area of Boston and doesn't include the behemoth that is Mass General or other highly respected institutions like Mass Ear & Eye, Spaulding Rehab, or the medical areas of Boston University and Suffolk.

To put it in numbers, let's look at NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding, which grants medical research money across the nation. Boston has led funding for the past two decades, with Boston/Cambridge receiving a nearly twice as much as the #2 city, New York. If we choose to simply focus on the major aforementioned institutions in Longwood, we come to just over $1 billion awarded last year (funding is relatively consistent). Not only does that more than double all of Houston, which received just over $450 million, but it comfortably beats all of Texas, which received just over $950 million.

If we were to look at the two largest receiving institutions of each area, they would be Harvard Medical School & Brigham and Women's in Longwood and Baylor College of Medicine & UT MD Anderson in Houston. In 2013, Baylor racked in an impressive $186 million in grants with Anderson taking in nearly $131 million. Comparatively Harvard Medical School brought in $301 million and Brigham and Women's brought in $316 million. However to really get an impression of the collection of institutions, we should look at what comes after that. For Houston it's the UT Health & Science Center ($79M), the University of Houston ($15M), and Methodist Hostpital Research Institute ($12M). For Longwood, it's Children's Hospital Boston ($127M), Beth Israel Deaconess ($119M) and Dana Farber ($116M).

There's no doubt that the TMC is a great medical center. It has a bright future and it's absolutely gigantic...but it's still far behind the likes of Longwood and, as a whole, the Greater Boston Area.
Let me just interject this, first of all this is the Houston vs Dallas thread so lets not get too sidetracked in national comparisons. Secondly though I would wonder if federal funding is really the best measure of the prestige or even competency of a particular institution of any kind. All of the TMC institutions are "not for profit" entities that may or may not seek, or may not be particularly proficient in seeking, and obtaining funding of the sort you speak of.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 6,417,522 times
Quote:
The cynic in me would say that Rick Perry, George Bush, and the fact that a lot of NIH grant reviewers probably went to Harvard and went to school in the Boston area have as much to do with grant money distributions as quality of care between various institutions. If you look into university research grants, it's as good a sign of crony capitalism and graft as it comes. I have my doubts that medical research grants are any different.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 PM

725 posts, read 1,242,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

I agree that every single institution in the TMC isn't the most prestigious in their field, but hospitals like MD Anderson, Texas Children's and TIRR Memorial Hermann are at the top of their respective fields just like Massachusetts General and Boston Children's are.

However, as a whole, I think it's a fair argument to say that TMC is probably among, if not the most prestigious medical center, at least to foreigners seeking medical care. I'll explain my reasoning, and please feel free to rebut if you have better data.

This article (International patients boost Houston's medical economy - Houston Chronicle) cites about 20K medical tourists per year to the TMC.

This somewhat outdated article (U.S. Hospitals Worth The Trip - Forbes) expresses that somewhere between 60K and 85K foreign nationals seek healthcare in the U.S.

Now ignoring the obvious faults of combining two sources of data from two separate years, it seems that Houston is pulling a nice plurality of that traffic. However, perhaps there is another group of hospitals that is pulling even more.

The first article states that the TMC is commissioning a study to determine exactly how much of that international flow goes to Houston's hospitals, so I'd wager we'll soon get a more concrete answer.

I personally think international demand for services, while not perfect, is a better proxy of prestige than the amount of government grant funding certain hospitals receive.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM

6,711 posts, read 9,966,649 times
It's in the DMN

Atlanta developer planning second Dallas apartment tower | Dallas Morning News

Quote:
An Atlanta-based developer that’s just finishing up an apartment tower in Dallas’ Victory Park project is working on a second residential high-rise.

Novare Group is planning a building on a more than 1-acre site near the southwest corner of Cedar Springs Road and Oak Lawn Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas