Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM

6,698 posts, read 9,955,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Why?

Currently, Dallas love Field is 73 degrees F and Houston Hobby is 79 degrees F.
He's saying because of Ebola....

Old 10-15-2014, 06:22 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
It's OK Dallasboi.

Whenever you get tired of choking up there, you can always come down and enjoy Houston's slighter cleaner air, despite our chemical plants/refineries and our lower rail mileage.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM

81 posts, read 105,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Lived in Houston for more than 20 years, Dallas for a year and a half and Austin for two years. There is not a lot of difference in summertime heat, summertime length, or levels of misery. They are all terribly hot and terribly humid while being terribly hot. ALL OF THEM. Houston. Austin. Dallas. All hot and humid in the summer and all with really long summers.

Houston does seem to get more cloud cover year round than the other two cities, which actually is why I prefer it, especially during the summer. Since Houston gets more rain, I would venture to guess that while it might have the must humid weather of the three, it probably spends less total hours per year at those high temperatures than the other two metros. (Someone else might have some data to back that assumption up.)

The point being that anyone touching down in Texas in July that comes from a cooler part of the world will find the weather to be ridiculously hot and humid regardless of whether they land in IAH, DFW, or AUS. We can sit here and split hairs all we want but the fact of the matter is they all suck in the summer.

I honestly think that DFW people understand that their summer sucks, but it gives some sort of comfort to pretend like it's markedly better than Houston's. It certainly isn't. Austin's is just as miserable as the other two as well. Lots of heat and humidity.

Yssir thissss

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
It's OK Dallasboi.

Whenever you get tired of choking up there, you can always come down and enjoy Houston's slighter cleaner air, despite our chemical plants/refineries and our lower rail mileage.
My post was 80% sarcastic.....Houstons air is probably better but its not a difference that you can tell. And plus all of the refineries ,chemical plants , car exhaust from not having a real transit system ....it all adds up....look at the graph that was posted earlier....Houston will get right back to its normal self in a day or two...kinda kidding.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 6,569 times
Houston has more pollution. Wind blowing from the gulf prevents polluted air to go south, so it spreads throught the region. There's also land pollution (especially in the west). And water pollution is explainable. Shipping and urban waste are the causes.

And hey, at least the CDC didn't think houston as a "special hospital".

Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,600,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow23 View Post
Houston has more pollution. Wind blowing from the gulf prevents polluted air to go south, so it spreads throught the region. There's also land pollution (especially in the west). And water pollution is explainable. Shipping and urban waste are the causes.

A. What exactly is "land pollution"?
B. What is "special hospital", how does it define a city, and what does that have to do with pollution?
C. Why does it matter which direction the wind is blowing?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
My post was 80% sarcastic......
i know.

Quote:

You joined the forum just to post this toddler logic?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,575 times
Quote:

This post makes exactly zero sense.

Again, DFW now has more ground level ozone (and thus smog) than does Houston. It's due primarily to vehicle exhaust and pollution from O&G activities to the west. Trade winds blow to the east - right over the Metroplex. This isn't rocket science.

Houston's oil refineries are heavily regulated for pollution and the results show the success they've had. Neither metro has the air quality of Vermont for example, but all of the fly-by-night wells to the west aren't well regulated by TCEQ.

When you think about the growth in drilling west of DFW, this isn't totally surprising. The pollution problem will only subsist when they cut back on gas recovery out there and none of us wants to see that happen.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
America's Snobbiest Cities (PHOTOS)*|*Travel + Leisure

Westcreek continues to go vertical...

it started with SkyHouse River Oaks. then came the announcement for Randall Davis' 100 unit condo tower. then came this announcement for a condo high-rise 2 days ago. in addition to..

Quote:
An office building, a hotel and two additional high-rise apartment building are planned on the remaining Westcreek property, Bland said.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...5828150.php#/0

and yesterday one of those additional residential high-rises was revealed.. a Gables.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...oaks-district/

BTW boi... it looks like you got your wish for a second cookie-cutter SkyHouse in Dallas! heh.. Oak Lawn is supposed to get one, breaking ground in February 2015.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...668405&row=414

Last edited by TexasTallest; 10-18-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:07 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
first off Garrett.. really? what happened to the whole outdoors recreational activities thread you started in the Houston subforum? did all of that get thrown out the window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
The gulf? Galveston is a crap beach. Almost literally. The water is gray and it's very, very ugly. Corpus Christi is 4 hours away, so that's not exactly doing Houston any favors. Restaurants are nice, but little else. Houston's only cool place to hang out at is midtown/montrose/museum district/heights area for me personally.

I'm from Humble and have lived in Houston my entire life.

Houston does NOT have a better art scene than Dallas. I'm a graphic designer and all the good design jobs are in Austin and Dallas. Those are the cultural hubs of Texas, art-wise. Do you realize how many concerts stop through Dallas and Austin but skip out on Houston. A LOT. And that's just design and music.

Those Buffalo Bayou pics look like swamp land. Not really nice to look at except one pic, and in that one pic, the water is brown.

Those hiking trails also look pathetic.

This is LA, where I'm moving to.

Much more in the way of natural beauty that appeals to me. I don't find those pics you posted pretty at all.
LOL, you just named a large chunk of the inner loop as the "only cool place to hang out in Houston". just repeating a broken record here.. Humble and Houston are FAR from the same place.

youre serious? because one specialized field has a higher demand in Dallas according to you, you automatically assume that the entire arts/music/cultural scene is better across the board in Dallas? Houston has a bigger art scene.. and as far as culture? Houston is the most diverse/multi-cultural metro in the US. ooo... so some indie bands dont think Houston is cool enough and skip out on it every now and then.. so what? which city has more permanent performing residences in their local theaters? who has more theaters? who actually has a museum district? Dallas has its arbitrary "Arts District" that encompasses numerous office buildings and other non arty things.. but thats about it. if Houston were to zone off an "arts district" around Hermann Park, the Museum District, and Montrose, im sure it would be the biggest in the US. whoopdee doo.

lol, congrats on moving to LA. yes it has better scenery than most of the US. the west coast is very beautiful. but it is clear you have let your disdain for Houston cloud your perception of the city.

Quote:
Galveston is close, but how often do people really go there? I haven't been to Galveston in years, personally. I find it very gaudy and ugly.

Original poster, do yourself a favor and read this. Houston is a terrible place to raise a family. It's mostly about staying indoors, and going out to eat. It just isn't a great place to live. You CAN live in Houston, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Mod cut: competing site
just because you dont go to the beach often, living SEVENTY miles away, doesnt mean people who live much closer, or with a stronger desire to go, dont go to the beach often. whats so gaudy about Galveston? lmao..
OP. do yourself a favor and realize that no, Houston is not LA. Houston never claimed to be LA. i dont think anyone here ever wanted to be LA. we are two different cities doing our own thing. yes, LA is more aesthetically pleasing than pretty much anywhere in Texas, but Houston is better than LA in many of its own regards, and is a fantastic place to live/raise a family. especially if you cant afford the ridiculous west coast prices.

Quote:
Houston isn't that far away. I was also born in Houston, not Humble. My family resides in Houston, not Humble. I go to Houston quite regularly and it's still not that great to me. More than that, Humble is still a part of the Houston metropolitan area, and pretty much all of my complaints about the area resonate with pretty much the entire region. Given that Houston - the actual city - is very, very small, and it's mostly made up of suburbs, saying,"haha, humble isn't houston!" seems to be pretty incorrect.
Houston is like twenty five miles from Humble.. congrats. i was born in Houston too, but grew up in a small town 40 miles south of Houston. does that mean im "from (or lived in) Houston"? no. its a completely different world living inside the loop vs living in some far flung suburb way out in the boonies.
you do realize Houston is actually one of the largest cities in the country by area? im starting to wonder wether you actually know what you are talking about or not.. what you describe sounds more like Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas might technically be hotter degree wise than Houston, but the point is it doesn't FEEL as hot as Houston does, due to Houston's ridiculous high humidity. Surely you can understand that...?
LOL. youve already been proved very wrong so theres not much else to say here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas