Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,606,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
Dallas. Houston is a terrible place to raise a child. We have no amusement parks anymore aside from...Spashtown? The city is far too spread and is an urban wasteland as a result. It has barely anything in the way of beautiful nature or places you can get your outdoors on, or barely any sense of natural beauty. Houston's claim to fame is mostly the energy business. The weather is almost always humid and it feels like you're inside a sauna, sometimes even at night. It's highly uncultured and not one for people who love the arts. Dallas not only has more thing for artists and the tech industry, it's also close to Austin, which doubles as a nice cultural hub for all things Texan culture: film, music, the works. Don't come to Houston. The people are boring, the city is boring, and peoples idea of having fun here is going to the mall and the movies or to a sports (Texans, Rockets) game. It's a city for people who aren't big on going outside a lot. It's a real homebody city, that's a big part of why it was rated the fattest in the nation at one point. The weather contributes to this a lot because it's not exactly fun being outside in Houston. It's not the best place for a kid to grow up. I should know, personally.

My suggestion is either Austin or Dallas. Your family will love you for it.
Sounds to me like the only experience you have with Houston is in some far-flung exurb. Highly doubt you've ever even set foot inside loop 610. Either that, or you're just trolling.

By the way, Houston is closer to Austin than Dallas is.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:

I'm from Humble and have lived in Houston my entire life.
OK, this explains it. Humble is one of the worst of Houston's suburbs, and you seem to be confusing it with the city of Houston.

I'd be bitter too if I had to grow up in Humble.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,065,242 times
Quote:
Galveston is close, but how often do people really go there? I haven't been to Galveston in years, personally. I find it very gaudy and ugly.

Original poster, do yourself a favor and read this. Houston is a terrible place to raise a family. It's mostly about staying indoors, and going out to eat. It just isn't a great place to live. You CAN live in Houston, but that doesn't make it a good idea.]
LOL! What a load of bull. Even staying stuck in your exurb bubble of Humble isn't a good enough excuse for just making things up...

You've even been chastised for this recently, for which you replied:

Quote:
If you can't tell I become irrational with my hatred of my hometown.
So basically, since you yourself have admitted your hatred for Houston is irrational, no one should take you seriously with "advice" on it.

Last edited by sxrckr; 10-10-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 11:16 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Hey they polled 50,000 of their readers, that's a pretty large sample size, plus this article was posted in this forum by some guy from DFW, and not some Houston booster like me, so that gives it special credibility, right? It is not scientific, but it is evidentiary, that Houston's image may well be improving...
Lets hope so..

Old 10-10-2014, 11:46 AM

6,295 posts, read 7,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Lets hope so..
Do you really hope so ?

Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,104,920 times
Yeah that dude Garrett got humble confused with Houston big time lol. Although it's the metro Houston area, humble is def not Houston. Houston isn't my favorite city (more than Dallas tho by a bit), but you'd never catch me living in humble. Let me ask you Garrett, you're moving to LA, would you choose to live in San Bernardino? I bet not. Same goes with humble and thinking Houston sucks. Moving just 20-30 miles away makes a huge difference. Sorry you grew up there. Good luck ok LA. Enjoyed my time in Burbank

If you like the coast, fishing, jet skiing, Houston > Dallas. Both I neither consider outdoorsy. I think it's preference as both have pros and cons with neither being world class living destinations like LA, NYC, San Fran...

Still tons of activities and events always happening in Houston with a great theatre arts, and restaurant scene and pro sports.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Yeah that dude Garrett got humble confused with Houston big time lol. Although it's the metro Houston area, humble is def not Houston. Houston isn't my favorite city (more than Dallas tho by a bit), but you'd never catch me living in humble. Let me ask you Garrett, you're moving to LA, would you choose to live in San Bernardino? I bet not. Same goes with humble and thinking Houston sucks. Moving just 20-30 miles away makes a huge difference. Sorry you grew up there. Good luck ok LA. Enjoyed my time in Burbank

If you like the coast, fishing, jet skiing, Houston > Dallas. Both I neither consider outdoorsy. I think it's preference as both have pros and cons with neither being world class living destinations like LA, NYC, San Fran...

Still tons of activities and events always happening in Houston with a great theatre arts, and restaurant scene and pro sports.
Excellent comparison with the "Houston>>Humble/Los Angeles>>San Bernardino" thing. Both Houston and L.A. are huge, vast metros with a wide range of suburbs/exurbs that contrast heavily with their respective core-cities. I spent 20-odd years growing up in Houston, at a time when it was a much smaller area, and even back then Humble seemed like a million miles away from the Montrose or the Heights. Not only distance-wise, but culturally as well. Every time I went to Humble, I felt like I might as well have taken a trip to Mars.

I too lived in L.A. for a few years, and the same could be said for when I was living in Venice Beach and had to go out to the Inland Empire suburbs or Santa Clarita (though Santa Clarita wasn't a bad place. Just very different from L.A. proper).

Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,242,561 times
Another stereotype bites the dust. The Houston and San Antonio metros are now tied for second in the state in ozone emissions behind the new leader - DFW.

Houston's air is cleaner, but the goal post is moving - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Another stereotype bites the dust. The Houston and San Antonio metros are now tied for second in the state in ozone emissions behind the new leader - DFW.

Houston's air is cleaner, but the goal post is moving - Houston Chronicle
Go Houston!!!....
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/news/2006/texaqs/fig1.jpg

Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Majic post details of a recent federal study and you post a pic from 2006 ? Some people have no shame !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas