Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,624,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow23 View Post
I know houston wants to be "Paris of america" but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. I admit houston is a good city, but come on? the city is trying way to hard with constrction. Mayor Parker needs to stop giving money to companies to build stuff and instead, she should spend on stuff that houstonians REALY need, like updating schools, roads, police, etc.

And btw, it's illegal to take clear focused pictures in front of people's face without permission.
Houston "wants to be the Paris of America"? That's news to me. You could have made up something better than that. Where do you people get these outlandish ideas?

And as for your claim about illegal photography, why don't you call the cops?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,186,065 times
Quote:
I know houston wants to be "Paris of america" but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. I admit houston is a good city, but come on? the city is trying way to hard with constrction. Mayor Parker needs to stop giving money to companies to build stuff and instead, she should spend on stuff that houstonians REALY need, like updating schools, roads, police, etc.

And btw, it's illegal to take clear focused pictures in front of people's face without permission.
What? This is the first I've heard of Houston wanting to be like Paris. Btw Hermann Park turned 100 this year, and I can say they did a fantastic job of renovating the park.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/c...-wedding-spot/

Last edited by JoninATX; 10-18-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM

420 posts, read 710,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post

Hmmm...being in the same company as NYC, Boston, LA, D.C., and Miami? I'm assuming Dallasites will accept the compliment!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Hmmm...being in the same company as NYC, Boston, LA, D.C., and Miami? I'm assuming Dallasites will accept the compliment!
And with that criteria, not for a very good reason. Then again, it's Travel & Leisure. Take that rag for what it's worth. Personally, I find Dallas to be far less snobby than it once was a few decades ago. Believe me, that is an actual compliment. If anything, Austin is the new snob HQ of Texas.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,588,831 times
Quote:

Wow, where do you come up with this BS? Trying way too hard with construction? Last I checked dfw spent slightly more on construction last year than Houston.. the only money being "given to companies to build stuff" are the downtown residential incentives and whatever incentives the city works out with large scale corporation moves and things that will bring jobs to the city. You know.. The same type of incentives dfw gives out left and right to the major corporate relocations and what not..

And btw, everyone and their dog had a cellphone or camera out at the grand opening/preview of the park. If you didn't consent to being in a photo you didn't belong there. Ever been to a large event like a concert being broadcast where they have signs at the entrances saying you may be subject to photography or video/broadcast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
What? This is the first I've heard of Houston wanting to be like Paris. Btw Hermann Park turned 100 this year, and I can say they did a fantastic job of renovating the park.

Historic park to get a major makeover for its 100th birthday: Houst... - CultureMap Houston
Same..? And thanks! The new renovations are phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
And with that criteria, not for a very good reason. Then again, it's Travel & Leisure. Take that rag for what it's worth. Personally, I find Dallas to be far less snobby than it once was a few decades ago. Believe me, that is an actual compliment. If anything, Austin is the new snob HQ of Texas.
Yeah t&l isn't very reputable, but I found it humorous.. Old stereotypes are hard to live down. Good point about Austin though.. Unfortunately after fearing for so long that people would "Dallas" their Austin, I think it's happened..

Old 10-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Please show me how I'm defending/agreeing with him? How on Earth do you get THAT from anything I've said here? Try reading back on my earlier exchange with this Garrett guy, and then tell me how I'm "defending/agreeing" with him. Please.

No, what I'm actually doing here is stating a very simple and obvious fact, which is that Dallas, the ninth largest city in the U.S., with a population of 1.3 million and a land area of 385 square miles, is NOT a "small city". Whatever your personal opinion of Dallas is, it has NOTHING to do with that fact. Saying that "Dallas fits that description much better (than Houston)", when both Dallas and Houston are top-ten cities, really isn't the best way to make your case. It just reads like homerism.

Look, I'm a sixth-generation Houstonian. My family roots there go all the way back to the original settlement near Allen's Landing. I grew up inside the loop, only two miles away from city hall. I have no cause to belittle my hometown. That doesn't mean I'm going to support exaggerated claims that Houston somehow far overshadows Dallas, as if Houston were ten times bigger. Besides, if Houston hadn't gone nuts annexing half of it's suburbs over the course of the last 40 years, and it's city area was the same size as Dallas, it would probably only be slightly bigger, population-wise.

The only reason DFW has 7 out of 15 of Texas' largest cities and Houston only has one is because most of Houston's suburbs are unincorporated county-run municipalities, whereas Dallas' suburbs incorporated as self-governing cities. The area generally referred to as "Katy", which is almost entirely unincorporated, has a population of something like 330K. That's bigger than Plano, and almost as big as Arlington. Then there's Cypress, and a few other unincorporated giants.

Comparing Houston's suburban model to DFW's is really an apples to oranges comparison.
Did you not just prove my point with the last few paragraphs? Hardly homerism.. Just perspective.

And no, you didn't really defend anything else about that guy, I just didn't know why you would start now when what I said was perfectly relevant rebuttal to his original comment. Dallas is like 60% the size of Houston.. Pretty significant difference, wether they are both top 10 in land mass or not. (I just checked.. Dallas is definitely not in the top 10 in land area)

Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Did you not just prove my point with the last few paragraphs? Hardly homerism.. Just perspective.
How exactly did I just prove your point? I'm not even really sure what your point is. That Houston somehow towers over Dallas? There's a whole other thread dedicated to the endless "H vs D" bickering. I'm not playing that game.

Quote:
And no, you didn't really defend anything else about that guy, Ijust didn't know why you would start now when what I said was perfectly relevant rebuttal to his original comment. Dallas is like 60% the size of Houston.. Pretty significant difference, wether they are both top 10 in land mass or not. (I just checked.. Dallas is definitely not in the top 10 in land area)
Why I would start what now, exactly? You're contradicting yourself in a single sentence here. You acknowledged/admitted in the first half of your sentence that I wasn't defending him, then you finished off your sentence by saying "I just didn't know why you would start now", when I never once "started" defending the guy. I stated a fact about Dallas not being a "small city", because you said it was. Simple as that. The only thing I was "defending" was that fact.

I'm really uncertain what your point is here. You and I were in agreement about a great many things except that one pot-shot you took at Dallas about it's size.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
How exactly did I just prove your point? I'm not even really sure what your point is. That Houston somehow towers over Dallas? There's a whole other thread dedicated to the endless "H vs D" bickering. I'm not playing that game.

I'm really uncertain what your point is here. You and I were in agreement about a great many things except that one pot-shot you took at Dallas about it's size.

i think i just realized the problem here. you think i was talking about population when i said Dallas was a lot smaller?? ive been talking land area, square miles, the entire time.

if not...

you proved my point by saying Houston annexed "half of its suburbs", which means they are now the city of HOUSTON. thus, since both metros are comparable, DFW essentially has twice as many "suburbs" as Houston (by your assertion that "half" Houstons suburbs are now city proper).. it all comes back to Garretts comment about Houston supposably being the city thats "very small" in size, and "mostly made of suburbs"

towers over Dallas? H vs D bickering? pot shot? you are reading too far into things here.. this isnt about where im from. this is about perspective, and simple facts. from a perspective of a Houstonian, who lives in a city of SIX HUNDRED square miles. Dallas, a city of THREE HUNDRED FOURTY square miles is much smaller in size (43.33% smaller). im aware metro wise, area, density, urbanity, ect, is a wash.. but all i ever said was Dallas and its multiple individual surrounding suburb cities much better fit his description than the Houston area.. im not sure whats so hard to understand about that? nor do i understand how me pointing that out could be taken as offensive towards Dallas?

here is his description one more time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
Given that Houston - the actual city - is very, very small, and it's mostly made up of suburbs, saying,"haha, humble isn't houston!" seems to be pretty incorrect.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
i think i just realized the problem here. you think i was talking about population when i said Dallas was a lot smaller?? ive been talking land area, square miles, the entire time.

if not...

you proved my point by saying Houston annexed "half of its suburbs", which means they are now the city of HOUSTON. thus, since both metros are comparable, DFW essentially has twice as many "suburbs" as Houston (by your assertion that "half" Houstons suburbs are now city proper).. it all comes back to Garretts comment about Houston supposably being the city thats "very small" in size, and "mostly made of suburbs"

towers over Dallas? H vs D bickering? pot shot? you are reading too far into things here.. this isnt about where im from. this is about perspective, and simple facts. from a perspective of a Houstonian, who lives in a city of SIX HUNDRED square miles. Dallas, a city of THREE HUNDRED FOURTY square miles is much smaller in size (43.33% smaller). im aware metro wise, area, density, urbanity, ect, is a wash.. but all i ever said was Dallas and its multiple individual surrounding suburb cities much better fit his description than the Houston area.. im not sure whats so hard to understand about that? nor do i understand how me pointing that out could be taken as offensive towards Dallas?

here is his description one more time..

Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 AM

lmao.. ok. i was confused for a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas