Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,883,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Oh ok then i guess Galveston must have left the planet!
Im sorry, but beaches aside, Galveston is no Fort Worth.

And yes, there is more variety in that sense in DFW than Houston.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:02 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,297,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

That's one man's opinion. Galveston classifies every bit as having that small town charm every bit as Fort Worth. Combined it has the strand, Seawall, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, and more is coming. Furthermore Houston also has Tomball, Conroe and Spring TX which has the charming of Old Town Spring (one of the spots Bonnie and Clyde actually hit)

Again, i ask you how there's more variety? DFW has nothing that Houston doesn't except a few western flavor of things to be found in FT. Worth, but then DFW doesn't have the beach access or Kemah Boardwalk, so its all relative.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,792,688 times
Quote:
That's one man's opinion. Galveston classifies every bit as having that small town charm every bit as Fort Worth. Combined it has the strand, Seawall, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, and more is coming. Furthermore Houston also has Tomball, Conroe and Spring TX which has the charming of Old Town Spring (one of the spots Bonnie and Clyde actually hit)

Again, i ask you how there's more variety? DFW has nothing that Houston doesn't except a few western flavor of things to be found in FT. Worth, but then DFW doesn't have the beach access or Kemah Boardwalk, so its all relative.
Do Houston have a Market Center?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Well lets see:

Dallas: Big city and all the big city stuff (shopping, dining, and a good rail system)
Fort Worth: Smaller big city with lots of cultural flair, lots of good parks, and a great downtown (walkable, good bars and resturants, etc.). Completely different feel than its big brother next door.
Denton: University town with a hippie feel (the only place where Ive ever seen where people were smoking pot on the courthouse steps). Small town where you can really see Texan/University/Hippie culture living together.

Houston has what Dallas has (minus the good rail system). But when you compare all of Metro Houston to all of DFW, yes it is my opinion that DFW has more variety. Galveston does not contrast Houston the way Fort Worth does with Dallas. The later two are alot more different.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,970,637 times
Houston is just way too humid. That, combined with the lack of zoning (and plethora of big BUGS) makes it an uncomfortable, less desirable city for me than DFW.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,970,637 times
Quote:
Well lets see:

Dallas: Big city and all the big city stuff (shopping, dining, and a good rail system)
Fort Worth: Smaller big city with lots of cultural flair, lots of good parks, and a great downtown (walkable, good bars and resturants, etc.). Completely different feel than its big brother next door.
Denton: University town with a hippie feel (the only place where Ive ever seen where people were smoking pot on the courthouse steps). Small town where you can really see Texan/University/Hippie culture living together.

Houston has what Dallas has (minus the good rail system). But when you compare all of Metro Houston to all of DFW, yes it is my opinion that DFW has more variety. Galveston does not contrast Houston the way Fort Worth does with Dallas. The later two are alot more different.
The variety here is amazing. I love the DFW area.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,297,940 times
Quote:
Well lets see:

well as you long as you admit that its all an opinion rather than fact because there's alot that may agree with you but there's also alot who may disagree with you. And Your list was not very compelling.

i agree with pbcookie that Dallas looks better but i think Houston "feels" better, better in the sense of more of a city, despite Dallas's superior rail transit.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,364,240 times
Quote:

I prefer Galveston myself. I like the vibe and atmosphere more. Fort Worth looks like Dallas and feels like Dallas; just more laid-back. Galveston looks nothing like Houston.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,897,509 times
Quote:
Oh ok then i guess Galveston must have left the planet!
And the Bay. And the pine forests.

Anyway... I find the subject quite humorous overall. These are like sister cities; even looking at the demographics they are SO close on everything, from race ratios to income levels to education levels to COL. The race/ethnicities are so similar that it's almost a mirror of each other; the main difference I saw today in some 2007 stats was that Houston's Asian population was about twice percentage-wise of that of Dallas (6% compared to 3%), but everything else was really close.

I know there's some resentment from the Houston people after years and years of rather unfair name-calling by the Dallas folk (everything from dump to armpit, and the constant overemphasis on the humidity and bugs and refineries as if these define the city and as if the other places don't have their own problems; an example was the 2012 Olympic thing.) Though now it seems, the Austinites are almost as bad if not worse about this. People who recently moved from other states probably don't have a grasp on this or fully understand it...

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

The race/ethnicities are so similar that it's almost a mirror of each other; the main difference I saw today in some 2007 stats was that Houston's Asian population was about twice percentage-wise of that of Dallas (6% compared to 3%), but everything else was really close.

I know there's some resentment from the Houston people after years and years of rather unfair name-calling by the Dallas folk (everything from dump to armpit, and the constant overemphasis on the humidity and bugs and refineries as if these define the city and as if the other places don't have their own problems; an example was the 2012 Olympic thing.) Though now it seems, the Austinites are almost as bad if not worse about this. People who recently moved from other states probably don't have a grasp on this or fully understand it...
The Asian population in the Dallas area is in the burbs. Garland, Plano, Irving, Carrollton, and Arlington, etc. Dallas only account for 9.1% of DFW's Asian population. Plano has more Asians than Dallas (in number, not just percentage). Metro Houston has about 325,000 Asians and DFW has about 300,000 and more Asians have come to DFW since 2000 than Metro Houston, so the number is closing a little bit.

And seriously dude, are you going to act like the name calling is a one-sided issue? Seriously? You must have a very selective memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas