Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,938 times

Advertisements

The Toyota Center reminds me of the STAPLES "Easy" button. I like the architecture of it better than the AA Center though

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It alot more than for bragging rights. That means all of the HQ related jobs that arent directly tied to operations would be moved to Chicago.
No, its pretty much bragging rights, especially for Houston. We're talking a few upper-level management positions moving, if they do keep Chicago as the HQ. I doubt the number is even over 100 for jobs moved, if Chicago is the HQ. And in the grand scheme of things for Houston, that's nothing. Especially when Exxon-Mobil is moving in thousands of people from Fairfax, Virginia, among other things going on.

Quote:
It doesnt surprise me because Daley is so corrupt, he will promise UA/CO anything to get them to stay up there and he will deliever it. He did it with Boeing when they were looking at places to call home and low and behold, they ended up in Chicago.
Same thing with MillerCoors when they beat Dallas out for it.

Quote:
All in all Chicago is more agressive when it sees something it wants. Houston (and Texas in general) count on people wanting to do business there because its so cheap and business friendly.

I dont expect this to bring Houston down or affect it in too much of a noticable way, but it does suck for them.
Yeah, Chicago is more aggressive, but they have to be, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,769,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No, its pretty much bragging rights, especially for Houston. We're talking a few upper-level management positions moving, if they do keep Chicago as the HQ.
Take it from someone who works in the airline industry. It is more than bragging rights. Look at what happened to the Minneapolis operations center when Delta bought out NW. Over 150 jobs went to Atlanta from Minneapolis.

Its hardly anything Houston should panic over, but its for more than bragging rights.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Take it from someone who works in the airline industry. It is more than bragging rights. Look at what happened to the Minneapolis operations center when Delta bought out NW. Over 150 jobs went to Atlanta from Minneapolis.

Its hardly anything Houston should panic over, but its for more than bragging rights.
And like I said, when other companies are moving thousands of people to the Houston region, losing about 100 or so top-level executive jobs if they move the HQ to Chicago won't hurt. And I think the Twin Cities was a bad example. They are THE economic engine for Minnesota, and is smaller than the Houston region, so they felt more of an effect.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,769,271 times
Quote:
And like I said, when other companies are moving thousands of people to the Houston region, losing about 100 or so top-level executive jobs if they move the HQ to Chicago won't hurt. And I think the Twin Cities was a bad example. They are THE economic engine for Minnesota, and is smaller than the Houston region, so they felt more of an effect.
I think there is a communications break down.

I said that losing the HQ was a big deal and that 100-200 jobs would be moved to Chicago.

I also said that it wasnt something Houston should worry that much about.

I dont think Houston has much to worry about. It sucks, but they wont feel it too much.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times
Quote:
Reliant is only seven miles from Downtown Houston and connected to it by rail. Definitely not far, especially compared to Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.
7 miles may not be that far, but it's right next to the South 610 loop and it's not that close to the central city, so in my book, that's still far.

But not far definately compared to Tom Landry Stadium. It may be right in between two major cities, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that it's in a suburban setting. It's right next to a Wal-mart Supercenter....

Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,276,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
7 miles may not be that far, but it's right next to the South 610 loop and it's not that close to the central city, so in my book, that's still far.

But not far definately compared to Tom Landry Stadium. It may be right in between two major cities, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that it's in a suburban setting. It's right next to a Wal-mart Supercenter....
Yeah but Relaint is still inside the loop which doesn't quite make it a candidate for a suburban setting like TL.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Yeah but Relaint is still inside the loop which doesn't quite make it a candidate for a suburban setting like TL.
Exactly

Reliant is right next door to the largest medical center in the world & possibly the densest area in the whole State of Texas. You can access both places by rail from downtown.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,461,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Exactly

Reliant is right next door to the largest medical center in the world & possibly the densest area in the whole State of Texas. You can access both places by rail from downtown.
...ughhh...not the "LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER IN THE WORLD" spiel

Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I didn't say it was in a suburban setting. But at least Reliant is accessable to A rail system. All Arlington has are taxis......

Arlington does at least have taxis, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas