Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,118,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I didn't say it was in a suburban setting. But at least Reliant is accessable to A rail system. All Arlington has are taxis......

Arlington does at least have taxis, right?
I think they call them in from Fort Worth.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,093,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
act like the name calling is a one-sided issue? Seriously? You must have a very selective memory.
No, I think it's well known by most Texans that Houston has always been the state's whipping boy. The red headed stepchild. Where else has received more badmouthing. Ironically, it's probably the state's most urban city, quite arguably has the best overall big city amenities of the major state cities, and is very successful from an economic standpoint. The local economy is much more diverse than most other Texans will admit. I've seen national recognition lately for Houston for it's green building pratices and other eco friendly activities, alternative energy technology industry, restaurants, and many other things. Instead, most other Texans put it on the same level of Beaumont or Baton Rouge, except worse. You know you've "made it" when you get national recognition by specific sources that are experts on certain subjects, yet the own state's residents still call you a dump and can't shut up about refineries or something else that equates 1% of the city that most residents have probably never even seen. Even I can admit this problem. If I were to ask a random Austin person on the street if I should move to Houston, 8 out of 10 would probably look at me like I just farted. Same with people in San Antonio. People mention the 2012 olympic competition and yes, I also read there was a debacle with that from the Dallas team badmouthing Houston; it was not the other way around.

So then you get a backlash from Houstonians. Get beat up long enough and you fight back. Simple as that.

It's sad that several of the posters here continue to badmouth our state's great cities. They are probably the ones who ranked Houston's skyline "horrible" in that poll.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:09 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,970,637 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was in a suburban setting. But at least Reliant is accessable to A rail system. All Arlington has are taxis......

Arlington does at least have taxis, right?
Arlington is a complete mess. I stay away from there as much as possible. They don't even have a bus system in Arlington; it's probably the most travel unfriendly place in the US. And its highways are always under construction.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,020,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Arlington is a complete mess. I stay away from there as much as possible. They don't even have a bus system in Arlington; it's probably the most travel unfriendly place in the US. And its highways are always under construction.
Yeah, I live in Fort Worth, so I know.

They better figure out something because the Super Bowl is now less than a year away...

Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,883,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
No, I think it's well known by most Texans that Houston has always been the state's whipping boy. The red headed stepchild. Where else has received more badmouthing. Ironically, it's probably the state's most urban city, quite arguably has the best overall big city amenities of the major state cities, and is very successful from an economic standpoint. The local economy is much more diverse than most other Texans will admit. I've seen national recognition lately for Houston for it's green building pratices and other eco friendly activities, alternative energy technology industry, restaurants, and many other things. Instead, most other Texans put it on the same level of Beaumont or Baton Rouge, except worse. You know you've "made it" when you get national recognition by specific sources that are experts on certain subjects, yet the own state's residents still call you a dump and can't shut up about refineries or something else that equates 1% of the city that most residents have probably never even seen. Even I can admit this problem. If I were to ask a random Austin person on the street if I should move to Houston, 8 out of 10 would probably look at me like I just farted. Same with people in San Antonio. People mention the 2012 olympic competition and yes, I also read there was a debacle with that from the Dallas team badmouthing Houston; it was not the other way around.

So then you get a backlash from Houstonians. Get beat up long enough and you fight back. Simple as that.

It's sad that several of the posters here continue to badmouth our state's great cities. They are probably the ones who ranked Houston's skyline "horrible" in that poll.
Trust me, its a two way street. Ill introduce you to my father if you want proof. I get to hear about it every other time I talk to him. He called me a moron when I told him we were moving to Dallas instead of Houston.

I have run into people down in Houston when Im working down there that love to remind me why Dallas is a horrible city. Ive met and delt with many people who bad mouth all the cities except the one they are from. Ive delt with people from Houston who badmouth Dallas, people from Dallas who bad mouth Austin, people from Austin who bad mouth every other city because its not Austin.

Only people from Fort Worth and San Antonio seem to chill out on that. But not very many people bad mouth them.

It is a two way street. Ive seen it with my own eyes.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM

882 posts, read 2,254,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Trust me, its a two way street. Ill introduce you to my father if you want proof. I get to hear about it every other time I talk to him. He called me a moron when I told him we were moving to Dallas instead of Houston.

I have run into people down in Houston when Im working down there that love to remind me why Dallas is a horrible city. Ive met and delt with many people who bad mouth all the cities except the one they are from. Ive delt with people from Houston who badmouth Dallas, people from Dallas who bad mouth Austin, people from Austin who bad mouth every other city because its not Austin.

Only people from Fort Worth and San Antonio seem to chill out on that. But not very many people bad mouth them.

It is a two way street. Ive seen it with my own eyes.
Its mostly Austin + Dallas(both can agree that they hate Houston) vs Houston, and it is a 2 way street. Then its Ft. Worth who cries about being underrated, whereas San Antonio, which is more underrated, doesnt care, its too busy being the tourist hotspot of Texas. At times, though, it does seem that its TX(outside of SE TX)-San Antonio vs Houston. And we all pretty much hate Austin for what is stands for. Of course, these are the extreme ends, not everyone is like that.

Try as I might to be in the middle, theres always that Dallasite(most of the time) or Houstonian(at fault as well) that ruins it for me.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,792,688 times
Quote:
7 miles may not be that far, but it's right next to the South 610 loop and it's not that close to the central city, so in my book, that's still far.

But not far definately compared to Tom Landry Stadium. It may be right in between two major cities, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that it's in a suburban setting. It's right next to a Wal-mart Supercenter....
It is called Cowboys Stadium.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,885,807 times
from an outsider's point of view (as someone who has never lived in dallas or houston), i can say that it is a two-way street; HOWEVER, a majority of the insults come from dallasites directed at houston. without a doubt...

thinking of the times i've had a conversation with a dallasite when houston comes up, and they feel the need to tell me that "dallas is the much better city". when i didn't even ask them. or how about those comments from the infamous mr. jones about how houston is all about "checkered table cloths" (or something to that effect), trying to paint them as some backwards hick town. and don't forget how dallas (allegedly) tried to convince the olympic committee that houston would be a terrible host city

outside of these forums, i can't remember the last time i've heard a houstonian talk negatively about dallas. the last conversation i shared with a h'nian where dallas came up, there reply was, "oh yeah, my best friend stays up there".

it seems that houstonians are simply fed up with the other city's attitude and bullying tactics. but dallas just likes to pick on houston

Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM

355 posts, read 473,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
HOWEVER, a majority of the insults come from dallasites directed at houston. without a doubt...
No. Both are just as guilty as the other when it comes to this bashing issue. I remember when the houston chronicle posted articles stating how much better houston is than dallas.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
from an outsider's point of view (as someone who has never lived in dallas or houston), i can say that it is a two-way street; HOWEVER, a majority of the insults come from dallasites directed at houston. without a doubt...

thinking of the times i've had a conversation with a dallasite when houston comes up, and they feel the need to tell me that "dallas is the much better city". when i didn't even ask them. or how about those comments from the infamous mr. jones about how houston is all about "checkered table cloths" (or something to that effect), trying to paint them as some backwards hick town. and don't forget how dallas (allegedly) tried to convince the olympic committee that houston would be a terrible host city

outside of these forums, i can't remember the last time i've heard a houstonian talk negatively about dallas. the last conversation i shared with a h'nian where dallas came up, there reply was, "oh yeah, my best friend stays up there"
it seems that houstonians are simply fed up with the other city's attitude and bullying tactics. but dallas just likes to pick on houston
I do agree that its coming from both sides...But I disagree about dallas posters initiating it.We really just retaliate to the bashing from houston....They think because they are the biggest city in texas that they are the best in texas and desrve all the credit....so we just point out our assets to remind them that its two "BIGDOGS" in Tx.....not just them.....Give us our props....thats all we want!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas