Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 02:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,382,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I don't really understand what you are trying to say. It doesn't make any sense.
I like Austin and San Antonio because they are smaller and aren't a small city center with suburb cities around them (Arlington, Carolton, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Mesquite, Plano, Coppell, Woodlands, Katy, Bellaire etc).

They are still small enough so that when you say you live in Austin or San Antonio, you really do live in San Antonio or Austin. You live in neighborhoods, not actual different cities.

I don't know many people in Dallas or Houston who live in those actual cities....they live in the suburban cities AROUND Dallas or Houston. Maybe it's hard to understand if you don't live in a city like San Antonio or Austin.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,382,996 times
[b]Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about. You say that Houston and Dallas are "suburb hubs". Anyone who hasn't been to either city will use your comments and invision two towns that are nothing but cookie cutter homes, big yards, office parks, and dull neighborhoods with absolutely no urban qualities. That does not describe HOU or DAL at all.

Watch what words you use (as I've been told in the past). Just because Sunbelt cities have some areas that look very suburban, it doesn't mean the city itself is a suburb.

If I wanted to live in a suburb, I sure as hell wouldn't have chosen to live in Houston. Let's just put it like that.

Also, there is not a speck of Austin that I would ever say has more character than anything that can be found in Houston. There's no way in the world

Awesome....I wish all the other Houstonians who have flooded Austin would have felt the same way. Houston and Dallas are great, Austin stinks, don't move here....

Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I like Austin and San Antonio because they are smaller and aren't a small city center with suburb cities around them (Arlington, Carolton, Garland, Grand Prairie, Irving, Mesquite, Plano, Coppell, Woodlands, Katy, Bellaire etc).

They are still small enough so that when you say you live in Austin or San Antonio, you really do live in San Antonio or Austin. You live in neighborhoods, not actual different cities.

I don't know many people in Dallas or Houston who live in those actual cities....they live in the suburban cities AROUND Dallas or Houston. Maybe it's hard to understand if you don't live in a city like San Antonio or Austin.
You really have no idea what you are saying. Aside from San Antonio, most people live in the suburban cities surrounding the city (Houston, Dallas, AND Austin). The majority of people in Austin's metro live in the suburbs. Same thing with Houston and Dallas. Hell, places like Summerwood and Kingwood are master planned communities that are completely within the city limits of Houston.

But your complaint is worthless. If you want to live in the city, you can. There is a ton of space in Houston and Dallas (but especially Houston) to still live in the city limits.

And you said Bellaire?! Bellaire is an urban enclave. It is right on Loop 610. It is completely surrounded by the City of Houston.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM

20,551 posts, read 33,763,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Speak for yourself. No one I know from up north has so much as mentioned, let alone even cared how "suburban" the Sunbelt is.
Of course not. Because it's cheaper. I will admit that most do not care if the city is suburban or not. But many residents do notice how dependent on the car you must be in the cities of Houston and Dallas. I read an article about former Enron employees leaving Houston because it's not city enough to them. If you live inside the loop, you may can get away with not having to use your car that much if at all. But most residents of Houston do not live inside the loop and the city outside of the loop is suburban.

Quote:
Fairly suburban in looks, but not in heart.
I agree in the loop. I don't agree outside the loop as of yet. Unless they make an effort to become urban. The galleria is trying I admit. but not much else outside the loop.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:27 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,606,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

Awesome....I wish all the other Houstonians who have flooded Austin would have felt the same way. Houston and Dallas are great, Austin stinks, don't move here....
I'm sure there are just as many former Austinites in Houston. If not more.

And Austin is a lovely city, but I don't think it has more character than Houston.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Okay. "About the same" with Houston being higher.
No, it's not. You go walk around the Northside of Chicago and go to the areas just south of downtown of chicago and tell me Houston is so much "higher" than Chicago. Chicago has a higher Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Jewish, Greek, Polish, and Italian population than Houston. Chicago has the largest Polish population in America. You can go to restuarants and order Italian beef sandwiches right next to Greek restuarants on Kedzie Ave.

Quote:
All I said is that Houston was more diverse than Chicago. I never said anything that would lead anyone (except you, somehow) to believe that I was saying Houston was way more diverse.
You said "even Chicago" can't match up to Houston in diversity. I'm telling you that is false. That is all I'm saying. Also, DC can match up with Houston in diversity. Those two including Houston and miami make up the most diverse cities in the US.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Of course not. Because it's cheaper.
Everybody does not move here because it's more affordable. Foreigners move here because of better opportunities, cosmopolites move here for the diversity and culture, out of state students move here for an education at the highly acclaimed Rice, blacks move here because it's becoming a mecca with a great lifestyle and culture, young people move here because it's a rising city with edge, etc.

Quote:
I will admit that most do not care if the city is suburban or not.
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. A lot of people do not even look at it as suburban. You do.

Quote:
But many residents do notice how dependent on the car you must be in the cities of Houston and Dallas.
They would most likely chalk up to it being in the south, and how it's country down here. I doubt they would attribute that fact to it being suburban. Point is, the suburbs of Houston are easily distinguishable from most of the city.

Quote:
But most residents of Houston do not live inside the loop and the city outside of the loop is suburban.

I agree in the loop. I don't agree outside the loop as of yet. Unless they make an effort to become urban. The galleria is trying I admit. but not much else outside the loop.
Acres Homes, Settegast, some areas of SW Houston, etc. There is not a lick of suburbia in either of these areas. The crime rates and mentalities of the people of this urban communities prove this. I know some people that are more terrified of AH than they are of any place in the world. These places are not suburbs of Houston. Not to mention, around the Sharpstown area of Houston is one of the densest areas in the city.

You have yet to convince me of your points.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, it's not. You go walk around the Northside of Chicago and go to the areas just south of downtown of chicago and tell me Houston is so much "higher" than Chicago. Chicago has a higher Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Jewish, Greek, Polish, and Italian population than Houston. Chicago has the largest Polish population in America. You can go to restuarants and order Italian beef sandwiches right next to Greek restuarants on Kedzie Ave.
Chicago is denser than Houston, so of course you're going to see more nationalities in a small travel within the city.

Chicago may have more of some specific nationalities, but Houston has more of a variety. That's what diversity means.

Quote:
You can go to restuarants and order Italian beef sandwiches right next to Greek restuarants on Kedzie Ave
In Rice Village you have different restaurants from places all over the world within walking distance. What's your point?

Quote:
You said "even Chicago" can't match up to Houston in diversity. I'm telling you that is false. That is all I'm saying. Also, DC can match up with Houston in diversity. Those two including Houston and miami make up the most diverse cities in the US.
This is what I said:
Quote:
Exactly. I mean, our diversity is greater than Chicago's for crying out loud. There's no way Dallas can hold its own against that.
There's a difference.

The most diverse city in the U.S. is New York.

The second most diverse city in the U.S. is Los Angeles.

The third most diverse city in the U.S. is Houston.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Everybody does not move here because it's more affordable. Foreigners move here because of better opportunities, cosmopolites move here for the diversity and culture, out of state students move here for an education at the highly acclaimed Rice, blacks move here because it's becoming a mecca with a great lifestyle and culture, young people move here because it's a rising city with edge, etc.
Most people DO move here because it is affordable. That is why Houston and Texas in general receives many people from California and the East Coast. You see it everyday on these message boards. All of what you say maybe true regarding this point. But most people do move here because it's affordable. The same people can have a better opportunity because it is affordable. They feel they can make it better out here because they don't have to pay an arm, leg, kidney, someone's kidney's, and liver to live.

Quote:
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. A lot of people do not even look at it as suburban. You do.
I didn't misunderstand you at all. I actually agreed with you in that most people do not care that a city is urban or not urban. But many residents can tell if the city is like what they come from or not. Such as a short walk to amenities w/o using your car, etc. etc. Those little type of things.

Quote:
They would most likely chalk up to it being in the south, and how it's country down here. I doubt they would attribute that fact to it being suburban. Point is, the suburbs of Houston are easily distinguishable from most of the city.
Country no. Southern, yes. It is well known in the midwest and northeast that if you do not have a car in any place in the south (this includes the major cities outside New Orleans) that you will find it hard to get around. There are places where you live w/o a car, but the majority of Houstonians and Dallasites and Miamians and Atlantans need a car. It's evident. Houston has a strong car culture.

Quote:
Acres Homes, Settegast, some areas of SW Houston, etc. There is not a lick of suburbia in either of these areas. The crime rates and mentalities of the people of this urban communities prove this. I know some people that are more terrified of AH than they are of any place in the world. These places are not suburbs of Houston. Not to mention, around the Sharpstown area of Houston is one of the densest areas in the city.
Did you see the part where I said most areas outside the loop? Naming a couple neighborhoods outside the Galleria in the outter loop is not going to help your argument. This does not disprove the point that most of the outter loop is suburban. And I've been to Settegast. Nothing in that area reminds me of an urban neighborhood. You want urban neighborhoods, try Georgetown in DC, Cobble Hill in Brooklyn, Lincoln Park in Chicago or even Montrose in Houston. Settegast is nothing urban compared to those hoods.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Chicago is denser than Houston, so of course you're going to see more nationalities in a small travel within the city.
Density has little to do with that. There are many more cities that are much more dense than Houston. Does not mean they are more diverse than Houston. Baltimore and Philadelphia are examples.
Quote:
Chicago may have more of some specific nationalities, but Houston has more of a variety. That's what diversity means.
I just proved to you that Chicago does as well. Chicago has a larger hispanic population and a more diverse hispanic population than Houston. Houston does not have a large PR population at all under 20,000. Chicago, on the other hand, has well over 150,000.

Quote:
In Rice Village you have different restaurants from places all over the world within walking distance. What's your point?
Name more than 1. I can name dozens in Chicago.

Quote:
This is what I said:
There's a difference.

The most diverse city in the U.S. is New York.

The second most diverse city in the U.S. is Los Angeles.

The third most diverse city in the U.S. is Houston.
What is the difference? You're twisting what you're trying to say. Either way you say it, you're wrong. Houston is not more diverse than Chicago and Houston's diversity is not greater than Chicago. They are both at worst equal. Neither are more diverse than the other.

The third most diverse city in the U.S. is Houston AND Chicago.
Now I'm going to ask you to show me how Houston is more diverse or how Houston's diversity is greater than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas