Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 08:49 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,586,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And Austin is suburban in Downtown.
lol.
I do give Austin props though. If it is suburban now, it will not be that way in the near future. What's going on in downtown Austin is unbelievable. Towers going up left and right and dense townhomes infilling in. Won't even recognize the place. Great job Austin.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:52 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,422,216 times
Yeah, Austin has some nice developments going up. The tallest building in Austin is under construction and a building taller than that is proposed.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes it is. If anybody thinks otherwise, they are clueless. I'm sorry. A city with over 700,000 and growing faster than every other big city in Texas outside San Antonio with a metro population pushing 1.6 million is a major city in Texas.
Austin will decline once the capital is securely back in Houston. What's so good about Austin? It's overrated.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Austin will decline once the capital is securely back in Houston. What's so good about Austin? It's overrated.
The capital won't ever be back in Houston. It is in Austin for good, unless a meteor comes in and takes out Central Texas.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 149,217 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say a tier below. HP operates its largest facility in Houston.
I work in IT, it is a tier below.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
I work in IT, it is a tier below.
Yes, I already acknowledged that. It would be like saying the UT SW Medical Center in Dallas is on the same tier as the TMC in Houston (which it isn't; the Dallas one is a tier below).

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
How can Dallas "hold its own", but Houston still be far more diverse? It is either one of the other. DFW does not come close to Houston's diversity. Houston has more Asians than DFW, despite having about 500,000 less people than DFW. Houston has the third largest Nigerian population in the world. It has a top five Vietnamese population in the U.S. (I actually believe it is third).
Dallas and Houston are essentially the same as far as diversity goes. You will find the same ethnic groups in both cities for the most part, and most groups have a sizable number of people. Maybe Houston has more Nigerians, Vietnamese, and Mexicans, but Dallas has more Germans, Koreans, and Swedes.

As for the foreign consulars thing, I think its probably more related to the international businesses in Houston (i.e. OIL) than the diversity of the people. There is no way Houston is "twice" as diverse as Dallas or even some smaller metros (like Sacramento) which is what those numbers might imply.

Also, even without considering international businesses, its a pretty weak indication of diversity since Dallas could have exactly the same ethnic makeup as Houston, except with more people beings citizens rather than foreign nationals, and that would explain why Houston has more foreign consulars.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say a tier below. HP operates its largest facility in Houston.
Quote:
Yes, I already acknowledged that. It would be like saying the UT SW Medical Center in Dallas is on the same tier as the TMC in Houston (which it isn't; the Dallas one is a tier below).
Didn't you say Houston wasn't a tier below Dallas earlier though?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I didn't say that Houston's diversity alone made it more cosmpolitan, but it's definitely a crucial factor. The most crucial factor.

I'm still interested in hearing what could possibly make Dallas more cosmopolitan than Houston.
But don't you see, you have redefined cosmopolitan to meet what you think it should mean (diversity being "the most crucial factor"). It doesn't mean that. It barely means anything. Its an extremely vague term that means different things to everyone.

To me cosmopolitan conjures up an image of wealth and sophistication and urbanity and a diversity of types of people (types in the sense of personality and character, not necessarily skin color). Thats why Tokyo and Paris can be cosmopolitan even though they are not as diverse as any large American city.

I don't know that Dallas is more cosmopolitan in this regard, but it seems that way. Not hugely so, but somewhat. But, like I was saying its just an opinion, and I'm sure since you have spent much more of your life in Houston than Dallas you would feel the opposite way.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Dallas and Houston are essentially the same as far as diversity goes. You will find the same ethnic groups in both cities for the most part, and most groups have a sizable number of people. Maybe Houston has more Nigerians, Vietnamese, and Mexicans, but Dallas has more Germans, Koreans, and Swedes.

As for the foreign consulars thing, I think its probably more related to the international businesses in Houston (i.e. OIL) than the diversity of the people. There is no way Houston is "twice" as diverse as Dallas or even some smaller metros (like Sacramento) which is what those numbers might imply.

Also, even without considering international businesses, its a pretty weak indication of diversity since Dallas could have exactly the same ethnic makeup as Houston, except with more people beings citizens rather than foreign nationals, and that would explain why Houston has more foreign consulars.
I think Houston has more Koreans since Korean Air may be pulling out of DFW in favor of IAH. And yeah, Dallas does have diversity, but it is segregated and does not have as much diversity as Houston. Houston really is "twice" as diverse as Dallas. It isn't oil. If that is the case, then why does Chicago have as many foreign consulars as Houston, when Houston basically equals Chicago in diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas