Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What I'm saying is that you should know by now that when I'm talking about cities, I don't discuss statistics regarding metros.
Yes but the thing is that I was talking about metro areas as well as city areas at the same time. So I included those numbers regardless because both are relevant and important to the point.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes but the thing is that I was talking about metro areas as well as city areas at the same time. So I included those numbers regardless because both are relevant and important to the point.
When you said that Phoenix was denser than both Dallas and Houston, I assumed you were talking about the city proper. You were talking about the metros and you should have specified that from the jump.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Yeah, but Houston has a strong airport, too, that is growing faster than DFW. The advantage Houston has is that it is on a large body of water, unlike Dallas. And I never said that Houston is as strong as Dallas in the IT Field, because it isn't.
It would be growing faster than DFW. It has some catching up to do so it has nowhere to go but up. But DFW leads the region in passenger and cargo by a pretty wide margin (especially cargo). It handles over 60% of Cargo in the state and was voted the best cargo airport in the world. As far as international gateway destinations, Houston receives more but DFW is no slouch. It's the 10th busiest international gateway airport in the US.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
When you said that Phoenix was denser than both Dallas and Houston, I assumed you were talking about the city proper. You were talking about the metros and you should have specified that from the jump.
I did specify that. My quote was:
Quote:
Look at the Phoenix metro stats. Cities in the west tend to be more dense than cities to the east because they are hindered by mountains to grow. But Dallas and Houston are way more urban than Phoenix.
From the beginning and several posts before that post. I was talking about both metro areas and city areas.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I wouldn't say a tier below. HP operates its largest facility in Houston.
Oh it's tier below. And anyone in the IT business will tell you this. For the middle of the country, Dallas, Austin, and Minneapolis (I believe) are seen as the main IT cities. At least that's what my professors tell me because I'm going for an IT degree.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,420,554 times
Quote:
It would be growing faster than DFW. It has some catching up to do so it has nowhere to go but up. But DFW leads the region in passenger and cargo by a pretty wide margin (especially cargo). It handles over 60% of Cargo in the state and was voted the best cargo airport in the world. As far as international gateway destinations, Houston receives more but DFW is no slouch. It's the 10th busiest international gateway airport in the US.
IAH is no slouch either. It is the 11th largest cargo airport in the U.S. and Air Cargo World honored it with the Award of Excellence.

Quote:
George Bush Intercontinental Airport served 42,550,432 passengers in 2006 making the airport the eight busiest for total passengers in North America. IAH is the seventh largest international passenger gateway in the United States and the sixth busiest airport in the world for total aircraft movements according to the ACI World Traffic Report for 2006. In 2006, the United States Department of Transportation named George Bush Intercontinental Airport the fastest growing of the top ten airports in the United States.

The airport currently ranks third in the United States for non-stop domestic and international service with 182 destinations, trailing Chicago O'Hare International Airport with 192 destinations and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport with 239 destinations. Furthermore, about 45 percent of the airport's passengers begin or terminate (O&D) their journey at the airport. Bush Intercontinental ranks as one of the major United States airports with the highest on-time performance, according to a 2005 United States Department of Transportation report.

As of 2007, with 31 destinations in Mexico, the airport offers service to more Mexican destinations than any other United States airport.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that Houston's diversity alone made it more cosmpolitan, but it's definitely a crucial factor. The most crucial factor.

I'm still interested in hearing what could possibly make Dallas more cosmopolitan than Houston.
Neither are that much more cosmopolitan than the other. Houston is more diverse, but Dallas is becoming more diverse by the years. I seen a study a few months ago and I have to find it, but Dallas held it's own in diversity numbers when it came to Houston. But still, Houston is much more diverse than Dallas.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Oh it's tier below. And anyone in the IT business will tell you this. For the middle of the country, Dallas, Austin, and Minneapolis (I believe) are seen as the main IT cities. At least that's what my professors tell me because I'm going for an IT degree.
Yeah, your right it is a tier below. It is like saying the UT-Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas is on par with the Texas Medical Center in Houston.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Neither are that much more cosmopolitan than the other. Houston is more diverse, but Dallas is becoming more diverse by the years. I seen a study a few months ago and I have to find it, but Dallas held it's own in diversity numbers when it came to Houston. But still, Houston is much more diverse than Dallas.
How can Dallas "hold its own", but Houston still be far more diverse? It is either one of the other. DFW does not come close to Houston's diversity. Houston has more Asians than DFW, despite having about 500,000 less people than DFW. Houston has the third largest Nigerian population in the world. It has a top five Vietnamese population in the U.S. (I actually believe it is third).

Old 12-28-2007, 02:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,488 times
Quote:
Oh, Houston is definitely more cosmopolitan than Dallas. Bet that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas