Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,785,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
because I have friends that live in Midtown and when I visit we can walk to plenty of bars and restaurants and never have to use the car unless we want to catch a movie....
That sounds more like Cedar Springs or Lower Greenville, not even Deep Ellum.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
That's really hurting Houston's sense of urbanity. What a shame such a great city has no cohesive planning to link the districts together to form a solid urban core.

I would like to see the developers build in the loop and stop building on the Energy Corridor and the Katy Freeway. Urban sprawl is the antidote for an city trying to densify.
seriously? the inner loop is getting more construction/densifying more now than ever before..

http://arahoustonland.listinglab.com...%20View-01.jpg

look at all that density to the west of downtown in the 4th ward we havent mentioned yet..

Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,909 times
Quote:
So what I'm hearing is that Houston offers no comparable neighborhood in the amount of density to the West Village, Uptown, West End, State-Thomas, Harwood, VP conglomerate.

Is that correct?
No. I added a two screenshots of Midtown and West Village in my previous post to show the similarities between the two.

And I also second TexasTallest assertion that all of the urban districts in Houston are generally not cohesive and there are pockets of urbanity all over town. Citycentre, Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Midtown, etc. are all over the city.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 AM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
seriously? the inner loop is getting more construction/densifying more now than ever before..

http://arahoustonland.listinglab.com...%20View-01.jpg

look at all that density to the west of downtown in the 4th ward we havent mentioned yet..
Seriously what?

I said that I wish the developers would build what they build on the Energy Corridor and Katy Freeway in the inner loop.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM

weve got downtown which fades south into midtown, and which turns into the museum district, which turns into Hermann Park, Rice, and the Texas Medical Center. and to the west of downtown we have the 4th ward, which turns into the denser parts of River Oaks, which turns into Upper Kirby, which turns into Greenway Plaza, which is starting to merge into Uptown East, which then jumps across 610 into Uptown. and to the northwest of downtown we have the long Washington Ave corridor. the east side of downtown is starting to see revitalization too.. nope. no urban core here..

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Just the northwest part of Midtown alone is very comparable to the entire West Village. West Village is not a particularly large area, but it is quite urban.

All of those places in Midtown where the parking lots are being turned into more urban development and such are further south and east in general.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 AM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
No. I added a two screenshots of Midtown and West Village in my previous post to show the similarities between the two.

And I also second TexasTallest assertion that all of the urban districts in Houston are generally not cohesive and there are pockets of urbanity all over town. Citycentre, Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Midtown, etc. are all over the city.
Citycentre? Really?

And there you have it. You've reinforced my point that Houston will lack a true sense of urbanity with it's urban areas developed in a non-cohesive manner.

New York, Boston, Chicago, and Philly are all characterized by a massive contiguous urban core with highly-walkable dense neighborhoods. They all have urban cohesion.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I would like to see the developers build in the loop and stop building on the Energy Corridor and the Katy Freeway. Urban sprawl is the antidote for an city trying to densify.
Quote:
Seriously what?

I said that I wish the developers would build what they build on the Energy Corridor and Katy Freeway in the inner loop.
it sure looks like you just said you wish developers would start building in the loop instead of out in the energy corridor...

either way. both are happening at a rapid pace. it could be argued that having urban centers spread throughout town is better for traffic flow so there isnt a mass influx of drivers into and out of the core in the mornings and evenings. imagine if everything built out in the energy corridor and other urban districts outside of downtown were all built in the core.. 1) we would without question have the third best skyline in the US. 2) traffic commuting from the burbs would be even more horrendous than it already is.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Citycentre? Really?

And there you have it. You've reinforced my point that Houston will lack a true sense of urbanity with it's urban areas developed in a non-cohesive manner.

New York, Boston, Chicago, and Philly are all characterized by a massive contiguous urban core with highly-walkable dense neighborhoods. They all have urban cohesion.
So you're saying that Citycentre isn't urban, walkable, or mixed use then? And the pictures I posted were of Midtown, not Citycentre.

You're trying to make a point that does exist. Houston has quite a few urban/walkable communities - both mixed-use and otherwise.

And what of the walkable communities such as Upper Kirby and Rice Village? Non-urban?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,461,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
lol.. the difference is i didnt have to go digging through webpages for a fluff comment. i stumbled across a story on another forum that i frequent, so i relayed it here. congrats on doing a bunch of work to "rebuttal" that critique of Houston.

if that person likes KWP they should visit Discovery Green..
Just beating you at your own game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas