Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 11:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,600,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
That's sure going to add some great height to Uptown.

Too bad the street level is virtually nonexistent in that area. The Astoria and BLVD help, but it still has a long way to go to reach the level of urbanity that Houstonians think it is.

In Houston, height is king.
Most Houstonians don't think of Uptown as urban. That's absurd. I don't think I've ever heard anyone from Houston refer to that area in such a way... except for maybe a few misguided C-D posters who probably aren't even from Houston.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,158 times
saw this on another forum and thought it was worth posting here. an outsider/tourists perspective on Houston.

Quote:
Was at Discovery Green last weekend and got an interesting perspective on our city from a couple of tourists. A couple in their 40's asked me to take their picture while they stood on a platform that said "Houston, the city without limits". They seemed completely enamored with everything and we got to talking. Here are the highlights...

- They were in town for a Puerto Rican festival
- From San Antonio, so they were comparing Houston to San Antonio and said our city is much cooler.
- Loved that we had tons of things to do late at night
- Loved DG and were amazed by our parks. They said SA didn't have cool parks like us.
- They said the coolest thing about our city is the size and how urban we are. The buildings, our boundaries, the different areas and sections. They said we aren't just a city, but a mega city like LA or NYC.
- They said everything was very clean for a big city
- The food and festivals are awesome
- They plan another visit again just to see more of Houston (esp zoo, Miller Outdoor, and parks).

It was interesting talking to someone who hasn't been to Houston before and hearing what they found cool. If parks and big things blow people's minds, I think the dome indoor park idea might be an insane tourist attraction. They seemed so overwhelmed by the size and things to do, they had no clue what to see in their weekend here... and to some extent that was what they liked.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Saw this on Trip advisor.
Quote:
Dallas does it right”
5 of 5 starsReviewed June 30, 2014
This park is amazing. When my boyfriend first talked about going to a park in Dallas, and how amazing this park was and blah blah blah, I was like "Dude, calm down, it's just a park, there are a million parks in America". I must say I was very impressed with the story of how this park was created. They basically built a 5 acre park ON TOP of an 8 lane freeway basically creating a new Downtown Arts District Area in lovely Dallas. The design of the park is truly amazing and there's a little bit of everything for everyone from Gourmet Food Trucks to daily Tai Chi and Yoga Classes, Putting Green, Dog area, Croquet, Ping Pong, Restaurants, all free and the best part is every Thursday there are some pretty good local performances from some the of the DJ's and local musicians in Dallas, There is a band called Le Cure, who is a Cure tribute band, they are pretty good. This past Thursday one of my boyfriends bests friends Josh and his girlfriend got married at the park, DJ style. Super cool spot and one of the highlights Dallas has to offer.

Visited June 2014

Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,785,165 times
Does Houston have a residential/commercial center (not the TMC) like West Village with high density and walkability?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Saw this on Trip advisor.

lol.. the difference is i didnt have to go digging through webpages for a fluff comment. i stumbled across a story on another forum that i frequent, so i relayed it here. congrats on doing a bunch of work to "rebuttal" that critique of Houston.

if that person likes KWP they should visit Discovery Green..

Old 09-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Does Houston have a residential/commercial center (not the TMC) like West Village with high density and walkability?
that looks similar to Midtown Houston to me?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:21 AM
BCB

The aerial of Midtown Houston and West Village look very different.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 AM

Midtown, Houston

Midtown

Midtown

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
BCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
That's a parking garage with an apartment building.

I'm wondering if Houston offers a walkable neighborhood such that Dallas offers.

For example, Uptown, LOMAC, State-Thomas, West End, Harwood, VP, West Village are all connected to form one massive contiguous urban core.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The aerial of Midtown Houston and West Village look very different.
i was referring to the more developed west side of Midtown.

Centered around Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas