Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The point is we've never had a bridge like this before....It could be 100 of the same bridges in this world but when in Dallas you will only see ours. Most people still dont know who designed it..they just see this big new bridge that looks nice on the Dallas skyline....which is the whole point....People are just over thinking this to discredit it....like always.

Its like taking your son to the mall to get his favorite pair of jordans and once you pay 200 dollars for them you start to notice alot of people with the same shoes....does that change how much your son loves thoes shoes....hell no!!!He put them on before you left foot locker.
I agree it may look nice, but iconic it is not. Icons are imitated not the imitators

Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Exclusive: Cityplace Co. to develop hotel, grocery-anchored retail and apartment tower

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne....html?page=all

Quote:
"We are working on a deal right now with a grocery store and another high-rise tower of apartments, which would be the size of 3700M or a bit bigger" Sleeper told me. "We would do a hotel and additional retail, too."

Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
1) Supposably does not exist in the English language.

2) One Dallas does not look like 2929 Weslyan

3) Yes, of course it looks practically the same. Santiago Calatrava streamlined the design when designing the MHH bridge.
One Dallas sure looked like 2929 Weslayan in the earlier renderings.. they resemble each other enough that you knew what i was talking about.. but i guess they dropped most of the wavy-ness.

Quote:
BRILLIANT POST
whats so brilliant about that post?

as if Bank of America Plaza didnt steal some design cues from Williams Tower

as if Fountain Place didnt get its post modern prism design from Pennzoil Plaza

you are so happy Houston has some buildings similar to Dallas so Dallas isnt the only one who ripped someone off.. the only thing is we didnt over pay for an already existing design.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
One Dallas sure looked like 2929 Weslayan in the earlier renderings.. they resemble each other enough that you knew what i was talking about.. but i guess they dropped most of the wavy-ness.

whats so brilliant about that post?

as if Bank of America Plaza didnt steal some design cues from Williams Tower

as if Fountain Place didnt get its post modern prism design from Pennzoil Plaza

you are so happy Houston has some buildings similar to Dallas so Dallas isnt the only one who ripped someone off.. the only thing is we didnt over pay for an already existing design.
Ughh.....sometimes i just don't have the energy to go back and forth with you......you must have a comprehension problem. You are totally way off....The point was...........Houstonians are driving this bridge and its design into the ground for being similar to another one of his bridges. ......that was a brilliant post because Houstonians are ignoring all of the copycats in Houston..............You all are acting as if the similar designs disqualifies it as an attractive thoroughfare. Its still a nice bridge regardless of the small stuff you guys are reaching for to slander it.....get over it people. Houston will never have an aesthetic bridge close to downtown Houston. ......thats what yall hate.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Ughh.....sometimes i just don't have the energy to go back and forth with you......you must have a comprehension problem. You are totally way off....The point was...........Houstonians are driving this bridge and its design into the ground for being similar to another one of his bridges. ......that was a brilliant post because Houstonians are ignoring all of the copycats in Houston..............You all are acting as if the similar designs disqualifies it as an attractive thoroughfare. Its still a nice bridge regardless of the small stuff you guys are reaching for to slander it.....get over it people. Houston will never have an aesthetic bridge close to downtown Houston. ......thats what yall hate.
because you get tired of losing or what?
no. definitely no comprehension problem.. the point was, Dallas spent 180 million on a bridge that had already been built before.. and apparently for MUCH cheaper.. they built all 3 of their bridges for 35 million euros.. or less than 45 million dollars (1/4th the cost of MHH). thats like if Houston were to pay 240 million to Novare to come develop a SkyHouse that originally cost only 60 million to build.. do you comprehend what i am saying? we arent ignoring anything. we just arent going around touting those "copycats" as unique/signature. the similar design detracts from it being a "signature bridge thats unique to Dallas". it is a nice bridge, its just completely unnecessary and you guys got ripped off..
the Montrose bridges are right down 59 from downtown... we dont need some ridiculously oversized bridge next to downtown because the only bodies of water around downtown are bayous. and you dont need a 400' tall bridge to cross a bayou. we like for our huge bridges to actually be necessary.. like crossing one of the busiest shipping lanes in the country.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
I'm not gonna lie, if Houston wanted to build an aesthetic bridge close to downtown, I wouldn't necessarily be complaining. But i'd still wonder in the back of my head if why the city would ignore other parts of the city that's not ITL that are in dire need of attention such as: Gulfton, Southeast side/Telephone Rd, Northside, Mid Westheimer (between Chimney Rock and Gessner), etc.

180 million is excessive, no matter how you look at it. I've heard residents around Houston complain about the city only spending $$$ om downtown, and other areas like Montrose, Midtown, etc citing that those are relatively small areas in comparison to the rest of the city of that has other areas that go neglected.

Quote:
.It could be 100 of the same bridges in this world but when in Dallas you will only see ours. Most people still dont know who designed it..they just see this big new bridge that looks nice on the Dallas skyline..

Its like taking your son to the mall to get his favorite pair of jordans and once you pay 200 dollars for them you start to notice alot of people with the same shoes....does that change how much your son loves thoes shoes....hell no!!!He put them on before you left foot locker.
You may have a point as far as the bridge is concerned. But what about the arch? Even Stevie Wonder could probably see that that arch is clearly a knockoff of the arches in Saint Louis. Post cards of Dallas highlighting the bridges basically have Saint Louis's identity painted all over them, and to those architectural geeks who are paying attention, the Reggio Emilia bridge in Italy.

I like the bridge personally, and admittedly probably a little envious that Houston will probably never have something that stands out at this level next to its downtown, But the argument that some posters are using saying that all cities use knock offs of eachother doesn't quite hold up on a structure of this magnitude. None are as grandiose as this. The entire project originally calls for several of these bridges over a large body of water. Don't we already have enough cities that do this? Philly, San Fran, NYC, Pittsburgh, Boston, etc (pretty much most of the cities on the eastcoast?)

Maybe Houston should spend exorbitant amounts of money and gather all the dirt and recycled material it can and build another Pikes Peak or Mount Everest. Or maybe even gather all the dynamite it can and blast another Grand Canyon . OK obviously the last suggestion is way over the top given Houston's water table but yall get my drift. lol. It would rank the same level of "screaming for attention" and ridiculousness to spend so much money just for aesthetic purposes as a bridge that crosses 20 feet.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Speaking of "heavily influenced designs"

Tower at Hermann Place vs Calatrava's Turning Torso (which looks great in person)
2929 Weslyan vs Aqua
609 Main vs Bank of America Tower
Belfiore vs Residences at the Stoneleigh

At least Dallas makes sure to execute a better design than the original:

Reggio Emilia bridge vs MHH bridge
Neither Dallas or Houston are new to this. EVERY city at some point copies other cities' buildings in some way.

There are only so many different styles and heights and ways you can design a tower.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Coldwell Banker: Houston ranks fifth for luxury home sales - Houston Business Journal

Quote:
San Francisco had the most luxury home sales nationally, closing on 2,485 homes, followed by Los Angeles (2,170 sales), New York City (2,145), San Jose (1,119) and Houston.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
All of those people got the hell out of houston to move to Park cities........Ok...Im just Kidding

Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Neither Dallas or Houston are new to this. EVERY city at some point copies other cities' buildings in some way.

There are only so many different styles and heights and ways you can design a tower.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas