Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM

493 posts, read 641,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLoveCat View Post
We are planning to move to the Texas. Please give us your opinion about which city is better to settle down our family (dentist + CPA + 3-year-old kid).

I have ever been to Houston for 1 week in March, I like there (but I have never been to Dallas, so I do not know which one is better). The income for the dentist seems to be lower compared to that in Dallas. But I do not know the living cost and other.

Your comments are important to us, we appreciate your reply greatly in advance!
Dallas owns Houston...I still like Houston...but trust me it gets HOTTT!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

371 posts, read 943,297 times
Dallas is less humid and not as hot like houston I guess? would you say weather is nicer in Dallas?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 PM

493 posts, read 641,112 times
I would pick Dallas over Houston...that is not just because I live just above it, but because the Summers are even worse in Houston than up here in North Texas...Houston also has Oil Refineries...and competes with Los Angeles for the most polluted city annually...Dallas/Fort Worth puts out as much crap in the air as Houston and Los Angeles...it also has rain to periodically remove the stuff from the air...you will run your ac a lot, but not as much as Houston...the hurricane risk is something to think about...though it is not as bad as Florida...it is something else to consider...I would say that the weather is better in Dallas than Houston...the winter is better in Houston IMO, but you make up for it with horrid summer...the temperature on avg. is slightly less than Dallas...but the humidity is soooooo much that it makes it very uncomfortable...Houston is a cool city...but Dallas...you can't beat the Mavs, Rangers, Cowboys, and Stars!!!! Reunion Tower, Billy Bob's in Fort Worth...LOL,
My Two Cents

Last edited by whitechocolate86; 04-03-2008 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,942,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Dallas is less humid and not as hot like houston I guess? would you say weather is nicer in Dallas?
It depends what you like. Houston is the "milder" climate, it never gets too cool or hot compared to Dallas. Dallas will get very cold and very hot, but doesn't have the constant humidity.

Some people like the coastal sub-tropical climate, others can't stand the humidity. People who like 4 seasons would prefer Dallas. On the other hand, Houston is year-round green.

Unfortunately, they are both somewhat polluted (not that bad, though), and not much to look at scenery-wise... but they both are friendly, reasonably priced, and full of opportunity like no other cities in the US.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM

61 posts, read 103,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Because. Dallas doesn't deserve one.

Whatever, Houston got it first (among other things). That's all that matters.

I know I sound very pathetic, but who cares...
For your information Dallas got the first: Carolina Herrera New York, Michael Kors, Harry Winston, Calvin Klein, 7 for All Mankind, Oscar de la Renta, Roberto Cavalli, Valentino, Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss, Tod's, Frederic Fekkai, Scoop, St. John, G-Star Raw, Barneys New York, Tommy Hilfiger, MNG by Mango, Miss Sixty, Neiman Marcus (headquarters in Dallas) AND AMONG OTHER THINGS . Our big advantage is the World Trade Center which Houston doesn't .... So sad!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,501,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Yeah only International visitors choose Houston because they have the Market Center (the LARGEST wholesale market in the WORLD).......OH WAIT ....Dallas has that , Houston DON'T!
I'd rather go to the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. It's definitely much larger than the Market Center because it was the largest building in the world before the Pentagon was constructed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Our big advantage is the World Trade Center which Houston doesn't .... So sad!!!
I wouldn't want a terrorist attraction in my city.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM

16,086 posts, read 41,267,174 times
I am so glad to see some action here!

So, you don't think a shipping port, scads of refineries and chemical plants are potential terrorist targets?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,501,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
It depends what you like. Houston is the "milder" climate, it never gets too cool or hot compared to Dallas. Dallas will get very cold and very hot, but doesn't have the constant humidity.
Dallas also snows (which causes flight delays, so why is it a major airport?) and has terrible storms. Houston was worried about that ice storm a couple years ago that hit Dallas. Luckily that never happened. Don't forget about that last cold front a few weeks ago that flooded DFW but in Houston it rained twice for an hour each time.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,942,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Dallas also snows (which causes flight delays, so why is it a major airport? ) and has terrible storms. Houston was worried about that ice storm a couple years ago that hit Dallas. Luckily that never happened. Don't forget about that last cold front a few weeks ago that flooded DFW but in Houston it rained twice for an hour each time.
It doesn't snow often in Dallas. DFW is a major airport because of AA and Braniff and the fact they built early, big, and with plenty of room to expand. It also makes sense as far as location, right in the center of the country.

But if you are going to wonder about why certain airports are so busy given their weather... how about Chicago O'Hare? I mean, it snows much more often there. And it's known as the "windy city" ?? Why is there so much air traffic there?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,267,174 times
Hold it, hold it Kerr.. are you implying that Dallas floods more than Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas