Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times

Advertisements

We've got our own *Little Dallas* in Houston and it's called Uptown.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 59,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Dallas thinks they are number one because they are the biggest metro in Texas when you include all of Fort Worth statistics.
I don't recall anyone in Dallas saying this sort of thing regarding size. I doubt most people know the relative size. Most people in Dallas I know just assume Dallas is smaller, and they don't care.

Quote:
Houston usually does things first (exept light rail) and Dallas always trys to top everything that Houston does.
I'd like to see some evidence of that. Anyone could make this claim in either direction. I'm sure if you came up with a list of Houston's 'firsts', someone else could produce an equally long list of Dallas' 'firsts'. Plus, I'm sure there is a list of things for each city that the other does not have.

Quote:
So no way can anyone say that Dallas isn't concerned about Houston.
Sure, you'll see the occasional article, or hear a random comment about Houston in Dallas, but it's relatively rare and having lived in both cities, I never heard or felt the the same level of of dislike for one city as I did in Houston for Dallas. I'm not saying there is no animosity in Dallas, just less.

Each city is different and has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
^^I am the exact opposite. People here always talk about how bad Houston is at that, or this. It is the same both ways, but you choose not to see it.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Houston to me has always felt like the Louisianna of Texas. Plenty of soul and culture. From the food to the diverse nationalities. Houston might not be as urban as New Orleans (pre katrina) but it does have somewhat of the similar flavor in some parts of the city.
Another reason Chicago and Houston are better than Dallas. Chicago also has soul. Just go to the Near North Side's restaurants and bars. Houston and Chicago go together. Houston seems to follow the three cities' (NYC, LA, and Chicago) footsteps.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
^^I am the exact opposite. People here always talk about how bad Houston is at that, or this. It is the same both ways, but you choose not to see it.
I agree.
I see trash talking on both sides.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:11 AM

609 posts, read 2,922,187 times
Quote:
Houston to me has always felt like the Louisianna of Texas. Plenty of soul and culture. From the food to the diverse nationalities. Houston might not be as urban as New Orleans (pre katrina) but it does have somewhat of the similar flavor in some parts of the city.

I like Dallas, its just that most of Dallas's strong points are situated around shopping. I think Dallas has a bright future ahead of it just like Houston. I could easily live in both cities if i had to but if i had my choice, it would be Houston.
Not sure comparing Houston to Louisiana is beneficial for the argument of dallas vs. houston. New Orleans pre-katrina had a lot of "urban decay" problems...and they also do "post katrina", of which many of those problems landed in Houston.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Not sure comparing Houston to Louisiana is beneficial for the argument of dallas vs. houston. New Orleans pre-katrina had a lot of "urban decay" problems...and they also do "post katrina", of which many of those problems landed in Houston.
Yet Houston boomed because of that. Dallas would take very little of them in and when Hurricane Rita hit, Dallas would also take very little Houstonians in. Those Houstonians had to go to Oklahoma City for shelter.

Speaking of Oklahoma City, that city is more centralized and more beautiful than Dallas. Why don't companies locate there instead?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaDog View Post
I don't recall anyone in Dallas saying this sort of thing regarding size. I doubt most people know the relative size. Most people in Dallas I know just assume Dallas is smaller, and they don't care.
I never said you said anything. That argument was btwn Guerrilla Black and Metroplex2003.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,053,731 times
Dallas is really the ugliest big city in Texas, and probably thge USa but it has nice shopping and materialist plastic people

Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
i think one of the most important factors is being overlooked

the babes!

and from what I've heard, the ones in Dallas are very materialistic and stuck up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas