Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,605,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And how many times has this happened? I listen to Dallas media a lot, and they are all skeptical of the Rangers. I never followed the team, but from what I have heard, this same stuff has been happening with them for years, and many hear in this area feel that it won't be any different. There are like no Ranger fans out here. The stadium is empty the majority of the time, which is sad for a market of this size.
There are tons of Ranger fans in the metroplex. The problem is that it's in the worse possible location of any team at a similar market size. If the stadium was in Dallas, the game would be soldout most, if not all, the time. But Texas has not done this at all whatsoever the past 5 years. They have not traded to get younger or to get pitchers like they did this past week. They always traded for veterans in the past few years and they did it much differently this year. It remains to be seen if it results in something special.

But Detroit was a horrible team for 20 years. But they quietly kept bringing in and trading for people in the farm system. They improved their players through their farm system and look what it resulted into. One of the best teams in baseball and a pennant last year. It can be done. The Rangers will be younger, and have better pitchers in the next couple years.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,424,536 times
Well, I live here, and I find either Astros fans, or no baseball fans. There are the occasional Rangers fans though. The location is a weak excuse. Cowboys games are going to fill up fine in Arlington.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I live here, and I find either Astros fans, or no baseball fans. There are the occasional Rangers fans though. The location is a weak excuse. Cowboys games are going to fill up fine in Arlington.
That comparison is apples to oranges.

That's because it is the Cowboys. That is because it's one game a week. That's because the games will mostly be on the weekends. That is because this is Texas and we are a football crazed state. The location is not a weak excuse whatsoever. If the stadium was in downtown Dallas, they would see better crowds because the majority of the population is in the Dallas side of the metro.

Hardly anyone from the northern suburbs will drive 45 minutes off to Arlington when they just came off work and out of traffic for a good part of their rush hour, than leave the stadium after 10:30 knowing that they have to deal with traffic once again going back to their homes which will probably take another 45 minutes and when they arrive home, it will be close to midnight knowing they have to get up at 5AM in the morning to deal with traffic to go to work. Hardly anyone will do that on a consistent basis. Sorry, but the location is not a weak excuse. Also, there's a good chance that they probably missed a third of the game while they are in the middle of traffic getting there. And I'm sure there are still thousands of Ranger fans in metroplex.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 AM

So explain the emptiness for the weekend games.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
So explain the emptiness for the weekend games.
There really isn't one. Dallas and Texas in general does not have a baseball history and it really isn't a baseball crazed state. The city and metro revolves around the Cowboys and everybody else is a distant distant 2nd or 3rd. Although, the crowds on the weekends isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The Rangers average 31,000 fans per game. I would bet it would be higher if the stadium was in DTD.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Don't you think location is getting a bit much now? The Rangers have been in Arlington for like 30 years. If there was strong support, people would make it out to the games.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM

609 posts, read 2,923,475 times
Quote:
Don't you think location is getting a bit much now? The Rangers have been in Arlington for like 30 years. If there was strong support, people would make it out to the games.
Out of Hockey, Baseball, Football, basketball, I would say in this order: Football, Basketball, Hockey, then baseball.

I find Dallas to be like St. Louis treats the Rams. St. Louis is traditionally a hard core baseball town. They rally behind the Rams when they do well, then they dont pay attention when they're down. Whereas St. Louis baseball fans watch them no matter if they're down or up...same with the Cowboys here.

I think if the Rangers ever get their act together....it will be the same...much like the Milwaukee Brewers....where fareweather fans are a plenty.

I just have grown up a national league fan given my time in the Midwest, particularly St. Louis, so it's hard for me to root for the DH.

I'll root for Texas above all American league teams...but just dont feel as strongly for them.

As for attendance, the worst attendance goes to Montreal Expos. One time I went to a game there...there were only 4000 people or so on hand...and when they scored...a "fake crowd" came over the loud speakers to make it seem like there was a lot more cheering going on than 4000 people in a 40,000 seat stadium could ever make!...now that's bad attendance!

No, Rangers 31,000 is ok, but it could be better for a MSA over over 6,000,000.

I do wish the Cowboys new stadium and Rangers' ballpark would have been in Dallas...but I guess that's way past history now! I guess Dallas joins the ranks of places like NYC, who's football teams all play in Jersey, etc, or the former "LA Angels" who play in Anaheim (now Anaheim Angels)

Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times
The Rangers would start drawing if they didn't suck.

The Mavs are on the decline - it will show that Dallas is just as bandwagon as Houston when it comes to the NBA. San Antonio has the only real roundball fans it seems.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The Rangers would start drawing if they didn't suck.

The Mavs are on the decline - it will show that Dallas is just as bandwagon as Houston when it comes to the NBA. San Antonio has the only real roundball fans it seems.
The Mavs are not on the decline. They won 67 games last year but went up against a bad matchup last season. San Antonio fans still will tell you that they will be one of the top teams again next season. The Mavericks are still young and talented.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM

The Mavs were a fluke last season to me. I moved here in January when they were in their prime. The bandwagon got bigger and bigger as the season went on. Once they were eliminated, the fans left. I think the Rockets will do better than the Mavs this year, especially with their offseason additions (Steve Francis, Luis Scola, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas